1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 22:443 edits
    Originally posted by chaney3
    While I realize that I am the one who brought up 1 John, and then you pointed out that these are not the words of Jesus, what is the point of discussing the opinion of someone who is not Jesus?

But, to attempt an answer, the text seems to say that if you are reborn in Jesus, that you cannot sin. Emphasis on cannot.

Yet, it still doesn't seem possible ...[text shortened]... ve the scriptures where Jesus Himself taught that not sinning is possible, I would like to know.
    But, to attempt an answer, the text seems to say that if you are reborn in Jesus, that you cannot sin. Emphasis on cannot.

Yes, CANNOT sin. But actually it literally says "born of God" - not "reborn in Jesus".
    It also literally says "He that commits sin is of the devil".

Now, this is twice that I have attempted to answer your questions. If I am wrong, which is probable, then please reply with 'your answers and how you see it', and not more questions.

Are you seriously going to pretend that you answered either time in good faith? That you responded with your best understanding of the text?

While I realize that I am the one who brought up 1 John, and then you pointed out that these are not the words of Jesus, what is the point of discussing the opinion of someone who is not Jesus?

Firstly, the passages we've been discussing are pretty straight-forward. If you can't be bothered to give a good faith attempt to try to understand what they are saying, why should I believe that you'd do so with the words of Jesus?

Secondly, some of the concepts in these passages are basically echoing the same concepts taught by Jesus. If you can understand them here, you should be able to understand them in the words of Jesus.

Thirdly, this should drive home how easily taking text out of context can lead to erroneous conclusions.

Yet, it still doesn't seem possible to me.

"Saved by faith alone" Christians have a vested interest in believing that it isn't possible. You have a lot of company.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 22:55
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Do you think that someone apart from Jesus has lived a sinless life on earth?
    Think about what the post that you just responded to says and think about your question.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 22:58
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]But, to attempt an answer, the text seems to say that if you are reborn in Jesus, that you cannot sin. Emphasis on cannot.

Yes, CANNOT sin. But actually it literally says "born of God" - not "reborn in Jesus".

Now, this is twice that I have attempted to answer your questions. I ...[text shortened]... hristians have a vested interest in believing that it isn't possible. You have a lot of company.
    Are you going to provide the Bible verses where Jesus Himself preached that it is possible for a human to not commit sin?
    Or do you plan on keeping that a secret and scolding me some more?
    I am interested in this, and we may as well 'cut to the chase', and discuss what Jesus said.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 23:033 edits
    Are you going to provide the Bible verses where Jesus Himself preached that it is possible for a human to not commit sin?
    Or do you plan on keeping that a secret and scolding me some more?
    I am interested in this, and we may as well 'cut to the chase', and discuss what Jesus said.
    Did you even bother to read the content of my previous post?

You keep demonstrating that you have absolutely no interest in discussing this in good faith.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 23:10
    Did you even bother to read the content of my previous post?

You keep making it perfectly clear that you have absolutely no interesting in discussing this in good faith.
    Yes, I read it, but it pertains to 1John, which are not the words of Jesus.
    What are the words of Jesus?

Now, I have a Bible, and I can spend weeks trying to find it myself......OR, you can just reveal them now.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 23:14

Now, I have a Bible, and I can spend weeks trying to find it myself......OR, you can just reveal them now.

Firstly, the passages we've been discussing are pretty straight-forward. If you can't be bothered to give a good faith attempt to try to understand what they are saying, why should I believe that you'd do so with the words of Jesus?

Secondly, some of the concepts in these passages are basically echoing the same concepts taught by Jesus. If you can understand them here, you should be able to understand them in the words of Jesus.

Thirdly, this should drive home how easily taking text out of context can lead to erroneous conclusions.

Which parts of the above didn't you understand?
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 23:16

If you want quotes from Jesus all you need to read are Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. They are the first four books of the New Testament.

Old Testament is about Israel and the old Covenant. The New Testament is about the time from Jesus and after.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 23:30
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If you want quotes from Jesus all you need to read are Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. They are the first four books of the New Testament.

Old Testament is about Israel and the old Covenant. The New Testament is about the time from Jesus and after.
    I did know that, but thank you.
    Do you know the verses where Jesus said it's possible for a human to stop sinning, and remain sin free until death?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Dec '16 23:49
    [b]But, to attempt an answer, the text seems to say that if you are reborn in Jesus, that you cannot sin. Emphasis on cannot.

Now, this is twice that I have attempted to answer your questions. I ...[text shortened]... hristians have a vested interest in believing that it isn't possible. You have a lot of company.
    In this post, you made the effort to point out my error regarding my saying Jesus, instead of God. Someone who belives in the Trinity may not have made the effort to do so.

Just making an observation, since Trinity is mentioned in this thread.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 00:061 edit
    In this post, you made the effort to point out my error regarding my saying Jesus, instead of God. Someone who belives in the Trinity may not have made the effort to do so.

Just making an observation, since Trinity is mentioned in this thread.
    Did you read the rest of it? Based on your responses thus far, it sure doesn't seem like it.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 00:10
    I did know that, but thank you.
    Do you know the verses where Jesus said it's possible for a human to stop sinning, and remain sin free until death?
    You can read the gospels in a week pretty easily. No such quote exists.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 00:17
    Originally posted by Eladar
    You can read the gospels in a week pretty easily. No such quote exists.
    ThinkOfOne says such a quote exists, but he's keeping it a secret.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 00:25
    ThinkOfOne says such a quote exists, but he's keeping it a secret.
    If that is what he said, he is a liar.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 01:32
    Did you read the rest of it? Based on your responses thus far, it sure doesn't seem like it.
    I really am confused about what point you are trying to make, but I'm sticking with this because I am curious.

What are the words that Jesus said regarding the possibilty a human can live a sin-free life?

If your reply is to ask me more questions about previous posts, which I am now confused, I will probably not continue the discussion.

What did Jesus say?
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 03:233 edits
    I really am confused about what point you are trying to make, but I'm sticking with this because I am curious.

What are the words that Jesus said regarding the possibilty a human can live a sin-free life?

If your reply is to ask me more questions about previous posts, which I am now confused, I will probably not continue the discussion.

What did Jesus say?
    You really don't understand the points that I was trying to make in the following?
    Now, this is twice that I have attempted to answer your questions. If I am wrong, which is probable, then please reply with 'your answers and how you see it', and not more questions.

Are you seriously going to pretend that you answered either time in good faith? That you responded with your best understanding of the text?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree