1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '17 06:441 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    If it's me you are pairing with Rajk, I take exception to the idea that I am no stranger than he.
    I wasn't taking about and you and I didn't not see what I wrote that would give you that impression. However, as you mention it, you are welcome to your strangeness; I would not deny you or anyone else their strangeness. However, and as you very know, I am talking about strange beliefs as related to Christianity.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '17 06:48
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Nice one 😀
    Why is it a "nice one"?

What is it about an atheist claiming his right to his own personal uniqueness that you feel lends weight to your extra biblical claim that god has created humans on other worlds and provided a man-God or replica Christ, to go and die for them?
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    13 Jan '17 13:37
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Why is it a "nice one"?

What is it about an atheist claiming his right to his own personal uniqueness that you feel lends weight to your extra biblical claim that god has created humans on other worlds and provided a man-God or replica Christ, to go and die for them?
    What does the possibility of life on other planets, one way or the other, have to do with Christianity?

In addition there is something about your responses which seem to suggest that you are upset that we can have such ideas. My own parents had such attitudes and as a teenager [50 yrs ago] they could provide no evidence that something was wrong with Christians having such ideas. Neither can you provided such evidence that something is wrong.

Seems to me that you are in the same boat with Christians who take the creation literally [7, consecutive 24 hr periods], and that tells me you are seriously backward in your thinking.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '17 15:00
    What does the possibility of life on other planets, one way or the other, have to do with Christianity?

In addition there is something about your responses which seem to suggest that you are upset that we can have such ideas. My own parents had such attitudes and as a teenager [50 yrs ago] they could provide no evidence that something was wrong with Chris ...[text shortened]... y [7, consecutive 24 hr periods], and that tells me you are seriously backward in your thinking.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Downing

This guy proposed that many things in the Bible point to ETs.

I admit it's strange.

But actually it's the more naturalistic explanation compared to angels and demons.

The fact that it's strange to the Bible isn't sufficient reason to reject it. If it were, much of Earth's history and science would be out the window.

Oh wait this happens doesn't it.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Jan '17 15:14
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Downing

This guy proposed that many things in the Bible point to ETs.

I admit it's strange.

But actually it's the more naturalistic explanation compared to angels and demons.

The fact that it's strange to the Bible isn't sufficient reason to reject it. If it were, much of Earth's history and science would be out the window.

Oh wait this happens doesn't it.
    “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world."

John 8:23

😲
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '17 15:24
    I have no idea, you brought it up with you claim that God would have created humans elsewhere in this massive universe and also saying the there would have been another saviour dying for them. It's your imaginings not mine so I'm not sure why you keep expecting me to clarify them for you.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Jan '17 16:03
    I have no idea, you brought it up with you claim that God would have created humans elsewhere in this massive universe and also saying the there would have been another saviour dying for them. It's your imaginings not mine so I'm not sure why you keep expecting me to clarify them for you.
    The more we find out about the sheer mindbogglingly enormity of the universe, the more it becomes unlikely that ours is the only planet that sustains intelligent life.

This does then pose something of a quandary for Christianity. If other worlds do exist (with such intelligent life) and God is indeed the creator of everything, then surely he would have put in place the means for salvation on all these planets. The bible does indeed say that for man the only way to God is through Jesus, but perhaps for a Europaian (inhabitant of Europa, smallest of the four Galilean moons orbiting Jupiter) the only way to God is through Weelksteinflep.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '17 16:29
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    The more we find out about the sheer mindbogglingly enormity of the universe, the more it becomes unlikely that ours is the only planet that sustains intelligent life.

This does then pose something of a quandary for Christianity. If other worlds do exist (with such intelligent life) and God is indeed the creator of everything, then surely he would ...[text shortened]... lest of the four Galilean moons orbiting Jupiter) the only way to God is through Weelksteinflep.
    On Earth, the Fall is said to have created the need for salvation. If all intelligent beings are in need of salvation, then on every planet having such beings, there was something akin to the Fall. Or will be, as more planets come to have intelligent life.

One cannot help but conclude that either 1. God wills this to be, freely and knowingly, or 2. God has no choice in the matter. I'd say this is a theological implication of Goldilocks planets.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '17 18:481 edit

This does then pose something of a quandary for Christianity. If other worlds do exist (with such intelligent life) and God is indeed the creator of everything, then surely he would ...[text shortened]... lest of the four Galilean moons orbiting Jupiter) the only way to God is through Weelksteinflep.
    I'm not without imagination nor do I fail to appreciate the wonder of the cosmos and God's creation. This isn't the issue. It's not in the Bible, that is the issue. This is an argument of principle rather than possibilities.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '17 18:51
    On Earth, the Fall is said to have created the need for salvation. If all intelligent beings are in need of salvation, then on every planet having such beings, there was something akin to the Fall. Or will be, as more planets come to have intelligent life.

One cannot help but conclude that either 1. God wills this to be, freely and knowingly, or 2. God has no choice in the matter. I'd say this is a theological implication of Goldilocks planets.
    There is a scripture that says that creation groans in anticipation of the manifestation of the sons of god. Romans 8:19.

From a biblical perspective I hold to the view that life is exclusive to earth. From and atheist perspective I can see how probability could drive life evolution elsewhere. Although I believe there are scientific studies indicating that actually, the chances are extremely small.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    13 Jan '17 19:36
    There is a scripture that says that creation groans in anticipation of the manifestation of the sons of god. Romans 8:19.

From a biblical perspective I hold to the view that life is exclusive to earth. From and atheist perspective I can see how probability could drive life evolution elsewhere. Although I believe there are scientific studies indicating that actually, the chances are extremely small.
    Reference? A scientific one?
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    13 Jan '17 19:38

The universe is so vast, 'extremely small chance' is sufficient for life to exist elsewhere.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '17 10:20
    The universe is so vast, 'extremely small chance' is sufficient for life to exist elsewhere.
    Sure, whatever.
    The point is, it's not Biblcal.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Jan '17 11:13

From a biblical perspective I hold to the view that life is not exclusive to earth.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '17 12:44
    From a biblical perspective I hold to the view that life is not exclusive to earth.
    Can you provide some corroborate scriptures that support your "biblical perspective"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree