1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 13:53
    Has anyone sought to find out what Scripture Jesus was referring to when He said -

" .. as the Scripture said, out of his innermost being shall flow rivers of living water."
    ?

I think at this time I would say that perhaps no SINGLE scripture verse is the answer. Rather an accumulation of a number of passages in the Old Testament would probably be what He meant.

We see water flowing from the cleft rock in Exodus.
    We see a stream in the city of God that makes the whole city glad in Psalms.
    We see in Jeremiah the Israelites had left the "fountain of living waters."
    We see a river flowing out of Eden which mysterious branches out into four heads (Genesis).
    We see the Proverbs that from the heart flows the issues of life.

At this time I could not point to ONE passage but a number of them which accumulated into indicating the Holy Spirit would flow out of the belly or "innermost being" as rivers of living water.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 13:55
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    If God sent Jesus as a saviour then God is the saviour. God was first and Jesus came after, sent by God. Therefore that Isaiah verse does not conflict with Paul describing God as a saviour and Jesus as another.

The facts as I see it is God is a Savour and Jesus is also a saviour, and they are both separate and distinct.
    Like Carrobie you have two saviours, and you also lead a sinless life.
    Congratulations.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 14:06
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Like Carrobie you have two saviours, and you also lead a sinless life.
    Congratulations.
    Im with Paul in that both God and Jesus are saviours.
    Where you got the sinless life story is not from me.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 14:28
    The subject here is symbols of the third "Person" of the Trinity.

The Spirit hovering over the waste and void ruined planet infers that the Spirit of God was brooding so as to cause LIFE to emerge.

This must be our first picture of the Spirit of God like a bird brooding over a next in order that life would come forth.

"But the earth became waste and emptiness, and darkness was on the surface of the deep,

And the Spirit of God was brooding upon the surface of the waters." ( Gen. 1:2, RcV)

The footnote of the Recovery Version for this verse 2 is helpful.

Heb. ruach, variously translated spirit, wind, breath. This is the first mentioning of the Spirit in the Bible. The Spirit of God, as the Spirit of life (Rom. 8:2), came to brood over the waters of death in order to generate life, especially man (v.26), for God's purpose. In spiritual experience, the Spirit's coming is the first requirement for generating life (John 6:63a).

We have God [Elohim], the Spirit and the word of God in the first few verses of Genesis 1.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 14:48
    Im with Paul in that both God and Jesus are saviours.
    Where you got the sinless life story is not from me.
    You and sonship are out of the same barrel.
    So you do sin then?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 14:49
    Originally posted by sonship
    The subject here is symbols of the third "Person" of the Trinity.

The Spirit hovering over the waste and void ruined planet infers that the Spirit of God was brooding so as to cause LIFE to emerge.

This must be our first picture of the Spirit of God like a bird brooding over a next in order that life would come forth.

[quote] [b]"But the earth be ...[text shortened]... e have God [Elohim], the Spirit and the word of God in the first few verses of [b]Genesis 1
    .[/b]
    God is one person, nor three.
    There is only one saviour, not two.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 14:57
    You and sonship are out of the same barrel.
    So you do sin then?
    Sin is between me and Christ.
    The only thing I discuss is doctrine .. I never discuss my sin or your sin or anyone elses.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 16:04
    Sin is between me and Christ.
    The only thing I discuss is doctrine .. I never discuss my sin or your sin or anyone elses.
    How convenient.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 16:20
    How convenient.
    You are the nosey type . i understand.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 16:322 edits
    God is one person, nor three.
    There is only one saviour, not two.
    You have heard plenty from me. It good to consider the words of this mystery of God by other saints of the past.

Benjamin Warfield comments on "the Lord is the Spirit" of 2 Cor. 3:17:

Paul is thinking of the Trinity, to be sure, from the point of view of a worshipper, rather than from that of a systematizer. He designates the Persons of the Trinity therefore rather from his relations to them than from their relations to One another .... When we attempt to press the inquiry behind the broad fact, however, with a view to ascertaining exactly how the New Testament writers conceive the three Persons to be related, the one to the other, we meet with great difficulties."

God's being is not easy to explain. But we can experience Him.
    The Lord Jesus Christ in our experience is the Spirit.

From Bill Freeman's book The Testimony of Church History Regarding the Mystery of the Triune God I loosely quote some observations.

Church historian Philip Schaff points out that some treatments of the mystery of God have a "three Gods" sound to them. But other quotations from the same brothers seem to lean towards Modalism ( three mutually exclusive modes of God not concurrent).

"Many passages of the Nicene Fathers have unquestionably a Tri-Theistic sound, but are neutralized by others which by themselves may bear a Sabellian construction; so that their position must be regarded as midway between these two extremes. "

Ie. sometimes you can find quotes and say "This is three Gods being taught". At other times you can find quotes and say "Saballian Modalism is being taught".

Some ancient brothers were accused concurrently on either extreme of the matter.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 16:42
    You are the nosey type . i understand.
    Certainly not, I simply don't trust you or believe your claims.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 16:431 edit
    You have heard plenty from me. It good to consider the words of this mystery of God by other saints of the past.

Benjamin Warfield comments on [b]"the Lord is the Spirit"
    of 2 Cor. 3:17:

[quote]
    Paul is thinking of the Trinity, to be sure, from the point of view of a worshipper, rather than from that of a systematizer. He designates the Persons ...[text shortened]... g taught".

Some ancient brothers were accused concurrently on either extreme of the matter.[/b]
    I'm afraid your pleas to other sources to support your three-people God claim, don't impress me.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Jan '17 13:183 edits
    I'm afraid your pleas to other sources to support your three-people God claim, don't impress me.
    Quote me from the last 10 years where I ever used the phrase "three-people God".

I have said we can only borrow the word "Person" because of the limitation of human language and should not press it too far.

Sometimes I used a blank, ie Three _______.
    Rarely, very rarely, I may have written plural "Persons". If someone knows how to search engine this, i would be very interested to see a quote even using "Persons". But it may be possible.

"Three-people God" is your strawman to heroically knock down thinking you've done something great.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Jan '17 13:27
    Certainly not, I simply don't trust you or believe your claims.
    Claims? I have made nothing of the sort. I have simply repeated the words of Jesus and provided references. In any case whether or not you believe Jesus is not my concern
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '17 15:40
    Quote me from the last 10 years where I ever used the phrase "three-people God".

I have said we can only borrow the word "Person" because of the limitation of human language and should not press it too far.

Sometimes I used a [b] blank,
    ie Three _______.
    Rarely, very rarely, I may have written plural "Persons". If someone kno ...[text shortened]... hree-people God" is your strawman to heroically knock down thinking you've done something great.[/b]
    Three person god..?

Yeah, sure, that's err different.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree