1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Jun '17 11:20
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    no
    So you are saying to allow the kid to make his or her own decisions, either wise or unwise.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Jun '17 21:45
    Originally posted by Eladar
    So you are saying to allow the kid to make his or her own decisions, either wise or unwise.
    I'm not saying that either.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jun '17 22:45
    From what I gather, a child should be left alone to determine what is right or wrong.

If a child believes that going to school is evil, then the child should be allowed to stay at home becoming enlightened by drug use.
    Yes, because they are the only two options ..
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jun '17 22:50
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    So coercing a child to do something is ok when it suits you?
    The only time you coerce a child is when it comes to keeping them safe from immediate harm. Like telling them that a car is coming and that they'd better move.
    But this is just common sense and you two noobs should know this.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jun '17 23:00
    As if raising a child was so one dimensional.

There are some things that you don't tell your child until they are older. There are some things that are always relevant in their lives.
    No matter how convinced I am at the virtues of something (say Buddhism)
    the best I can do is hope my child comes to the same conclusions as me about such things. All I can do is present my views on the subject and tell them why Buddhism is a good thing. Now at the very least most kids will respect that, even if they don't really give 2 hoots about Buddhism.

My point: you cant force religion on your kids. If you try yo may push them away inadvertently .
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    14 Jun '17 23:25
    Originally posted by karoly aczel

There are some things that you don't tell your child until they are older. There are some things that are always relevant in their lives.
    the best I can do is hope my child comes to the same conclusions as me about such things. All ...[text shortened]... My point: you cant force religion on your kids. If you try yo may push them away inadvertently .
    If religion cannot be forced on a child how do you account for most Jews having Jewish parents.
    Most Christians having Christian parents
    and most Muslims having Muslim parents?

And the flavour of that religion also follows from the parents.

It follows that choosing a religion is not a rational decision otherwise we would see
    similar percentages of Jews, Christians, Muslims and Sikhs following Islam.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    14 Jun '17 23:45
    Originally posted by karoly aczel

the best I can do is hope my child comes to the same conclusions as me about such things. All ...[text shortened]... My point: you cant force religion on your kids. If you try yo may push them away inadvertently .
    I suppose it matters what they see too! If they see loving, caring people., or people who don't practice what they preach, I imagine that will matter over a life time.
  8. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Jun '17 01:011 edit
    If religion cannot be forced on a child how do you account for most Jews having Jewish parents.

It follows that choosing a religion is not a rational decision otherwise we would see
    Same is true for any worldview. If it isn't parents then it is the government's.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '17 01:18

The Bible says to teach a child in the way he should live and they will not depart from it.

Of course, this does not hold true for every child but is a general rule that you seem to reflect in your statement as agreeing with it.

All we have is what we think is true and right in this world. To then not teach our children what we value most and hold dear seems like child abuse to me.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '17 01:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    All we have is what we think is true and right in this world. To then not teach our children what we value most and hold dear seems like child abuse to me.
    Does this apply to any religion? Or do you only have Christianity in mind?

When you see people whose parents were Jews and Muslims and Sikhs but who didn't turn into Jews and Muslims and Sikhs because their parents did not emphasize religious belief in their upbringing, do you suspect there has been something that seems to you to have been "child abuse"?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Jun '17 02:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    Does this apply to any religion? Or do you only have Christianity in mind?

When you see people whose parents were Jews and Muslims and Sikhs but who didn't turn into Jews and Muslims and Sikhs because their parents did not emphasize religious belief in their upbringing, do you suspect there has been something that seems to you to have been "child abuse"?
    If the parents did not raise their children to continue in the religion, then other things were more important to the parents.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '17 02:09
    If the parents did not raise their children to continue in the religion, then other things were more important to the parents.
    The question to whodey is about his use of the term "child abuse".
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    15 Jun '17 02:11
    Originally posted by FMF
    The question to whodey is about his use of the term "child abuse".
    Parents show what they value most in the world by what they teach their children. I was replying to the same thing. You just make a faulty assumption.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '17 02:15
    Parents show what they value most in the world by what they teach their children. I was replying to the same thing. You just make a faulty assumption.
    Yeah, whatever, but my question to whodey was about his use of the term "child abuse".
  15. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    15 Jun '17 02:31
    Same is true for any worldview. If it isn't parents then it is the government's.
    It could be that of the little old lady across the street.
    Couldn't it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree