1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 16:031 edit
    I'm guessing most people have been exposed to some form of religious indoctrination. Some people argue that this is a form of child abuse.

Other people would argue that it is the most common form of social acculturation.

They argue that people teach their children the things they believe and the things they think they should know. And that’s what has been going on for millennia.

What are your thoughts on the issue?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 16:15
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    I'm guessing most people have been exposed to some form of religious indoctrination. Some people argue that this is a form of child abuse.

Other people would argue that it is the most common form of social acculturation.

They argue that people teach their children the things they believe and the things they think they should know. And that’s what has been going on for millennia.

What you claimed you experienced was child abuse. Without a shadow of a doubt. Is being raised a Christian always child abuse? Is a religious education always child abuse? No of course not. Don't be daft. You sound like you're licking forum wounds.
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 16:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    What you claimed you experienced was child abuse. Without a shadow of a doubt. Is being raised a Christian always child abuse? Is a religious education always child abuse? No of course not. Don't be daft. You sound like you're licking forum wounds.
    So when exactly is religious indoctrination child abuse and when isn't it?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 16:27
    So when exactly is religious indoctrination child abuse and when isn't it?
    What you went through was child abuse, for example.
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 16:28

I think it is first important to differentiate between 'indoctrination' and 'brain washing.' Quite often in conversation the two seem interchangeable, but actually are not the same at all.

A child for example being exposed to religious indoctrination at his local Sunday school is not the same as a child spending his entire childhood in a cult being brain washed by people in a controlling position over him.
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 16:35
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I think it is first important to differentiate between 'indoctrination' and 'brain washing.' Quite often in conversation the two seem interchangeable, but actually are not the same at all.

A child for example being exposed to religious indoctrination at his local Sunday school is not the same as a child spending his entire childhood in a cult being brain washed by people in a controlling position over him.
    So the difference in time frame is what makes the one abuse and the other one not?
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 16:38
    So the difference in time frame is what makes the one abuse and the other one not?
    No.

Please take the time to look in to the difference between indoctrination and brain washing. This will aid your understanding.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 16:44

I would say that religious instruction should come without consequences.
    Religious indoctrination / brain washing has to do with time and done over a long period.
    The type that constitutes abuse has dire consequences if the rules are not followed eg excommunication, shunning and other family relationship .consequences.

I personally experienced all types but was lucky enough to spot it as a teenager, moved out of it as a young adult, but it took a while, several decades to get it out of my system.

It is important for those who have been through it, not to pass that behavior on to the next generation.
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 16:47
    No.

Please take the time to look in to the difference between indoctrination and brain washing. This will aid your understanding.
    So who are the thought police to know when it is being done right or wrong? Not the parents?
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 16:481 edit
    No.

Would you agree that anyone who experiences brainwashing lives in constant fear?
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 17:03
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    So who are the thought police to know when it is being done right or wrong? Not the parents?
    Parents are most often the guilty ones. So clearly they dont know right from wrong,
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 17:04
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Just to clarify Kelly, are you following the correct thread this time?!
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 17:071 edit
    Would you agree that anyone who experiences brainwashing lives in constant fear?
    Can you first confirm you have ' taken the time to look in to the difference between indoctrination and brain washing.'

(The answer to your simplistic question though is no, as obviously people are not always aware they are being brain washed, especially a child).
  14. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 17:071 edit
    I'm guessing most people have been exposed to some form of religious indoctrination. Some people argue that this is a form of child abuse. ...
    Kids need guidance. Here's a rule: sometimes you will disobey, and we will still love you.

But kid keep it to a minimum. Choose your battles.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Jun '17 17:272 edits
    Can you first confirm you have ' taken the time to look in to the difference between indoctrination and brain washing.'

(The answer to your simplistic question though is no, as obviously people are not always aware they are being brain washed, especially a child).
    Yes I have.

Indoctrination is the process of teaching a person or group to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.

Brainwash means 'pressurize (someone) into adopting radically different beliefs by using systematic and often forcible means.'

Since I was born into the cult I and now that I have looked up the meanings I think it would probably be more accurate to say I was indoctrinated rather than brainwashed since brainwashing forces someone to change their pre existing beliefs.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree