1. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 16:16
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Shinty is a form of hockey but much more brutal
    A very fast and furious game
    It is a male game (females do play though) where contact isn't an issue and you each have a weapon in the form of a stick.
    Very few games will every be played without spillage of blood and some can be extremely serious injuries.
    Well that sounds like the type of game I'd like to play with you.
  2. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 21:55
    Originally posted by radioactive69
    Well that sounds like the type of game I'd like to play with you.
    You and your pal romadrool have already proved that you are cowards by not replying to vespin and further to that lying by suggesting you have.

I therefore suggest that the only game/s that you are capable of are those of a keyboard warrior 😛
  3. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    01 Nov '16 23:40
    You and your pal romadrool have already proved that you are cowards by not replying to vespin and further to that lying by suggesting you have.

I therefore suggest that the only game/s that you are capable of are those of a keyboard warrior 😛
    there goes the friendly thread
    i wont even lower myself to give abuse to the forum clown.
    ever played shinty? i have only once it was an eye opener or should i say eye closer.

this was a nice thread started by lemondrop, i was enjoying reading what vespin was actually saying.
    but you have to drag it down do you enjoy breaking things?
    you have the check to call players keyboard warriors while you sit behind your keyboard.

oh the irony

games to play? i love chess but i play to win, but you play to lose, that tells us all what kind of person you are.

now if you want a shouting abusive session open another thread i will happily see you there. until then lets have a civil proper thread about sport for a change
  4. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 05:12
    Shinty is a form of hockey but much more brutal
    A very fast and furious game
    It is a male game (females do play though) where contact isn't an issue and you each have a weapon in the form of a stick.
    Very few games will every be played without spillage of blood and some can be extremely serious injuries.
    my god. Google didn't say that. lol lol Do they wear helmets? And is it on ice? Hockey is fairly good for some fights, but the league cut down on that, so it is not as popular here in the states as it once was. Hockey is one sport I do have respect for, but never took an interest in. But Shinty sounds like really brutal. My kind of game. 🙂
  5. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 05:28
    Originally posted by radioactive69
    Not so sure about gymnastics. Most of them are 12 years old. Usually your washed up be the time you're 15. Give me a pole vaulter any day !!😵😵
    oh lord my food almost came up. lol I was talking about the older ones who are past their prime, and should have retired. Not many of them, but they are in there. They are older, and although beautiful, still to young for me. Anything less then 35 would be to young for me. But when you put it like that? Yes, pole vaulters any day of the week.

Okay, keeping with the spirit of this, how about woman volleyball players? I think they give anyone a run for their money. Not all of them, but some are just amazing.
  6. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 05:32
    Can someone explain the game of cricket to me? Did I spell that wrong? It is a huge sport, followed by almost everyone, and I seem to be the only dope who does not know how to play. Is it grueling like we spoke of? And does it take a "world class athlete" to compete in it. The kind of world class athletes we have spoken of in here. I will google it, but it does not have the same affect as someone with passion for it, explaining it.
  7. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 08:31
    Originally posted by VESPIN
    my god. Google didn't say that. lol lol Do they wear helmets? And is it on ice? Hockey is fairly good for some fights, but the league cut down on that, so it is not as popular here in the states as it once was. Hockey is one sport I do have respect for, but never took an interest in. But Shinty sounds like really brutal. My kind of game. 🙂
    Helmets are worn but optional.
    The sticks are shorter than in ice hockey with sharper edges and seem frequently to miss the ball and collide with opponents (obviously always by accident 😉 )
  8. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    02 Nov '16 10:39
    The sticks are shorter than in ice hockey with sharper edges and seem frequently to miss the ball and collide with opponents (obviously always by accident 😉 )
    Here in the states we call that the city of Newark or Camden! lol Only kidding if anyone is from there. I lived there myself. It is a war zone. This game seems like you hand out weapons, put them in a arena, much like the gladiator's of old in Roman times, and let them loose. My god. I would have to be in a really foul mood to give that a try one day. lol lol

I have to admit, it sounds really cool. But so far it wins for the most brutal I think.
  9. Subscriberradioactive69
    Fun, fun fun!!
    On the beach
    Moves
    03 Nov '16 02:09
    I believe your stick is incredibly short. Over here in Oz we have much longer ones.

Yes......if I was playing shinty against you McGayo there would be no "accidents''.

I hope they have a St Johns crew handy. You'd definitely need one.
  10. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 00:14
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    this has probably been discussed before but I'd like to give an opinion
    I used to think that basketball players, requiring speed strength and coordination made the best athletes
    but now, I convinced that baseball players are the best
    they have to do so many things well
    and they have to do the hardest thing in sports, hit a baseball
    a 95 mph slider or ...[text shortened]... he power to hit it out of the park
    yeah, baseball has it by a mile
    rodeo clowns come in second
    Being good at any sport is not always based on physique.
    Babe Ruth did not have an athletic build. But his name speaks for itself.
    Jack Nicklaus would not be considered athletic, at this point is considered the greatest golfer of all time (sorry Tiger, you're running out of time).
    In Ice hockey, Wayne Gretzky was not the best or fastest skater, didn't have the best shot. But scored 92 goals in an 80 game season at a weight of 155 pounds. People marvel that he wasn't scraped off the boards after every game.
    You can go on and on.

The greatest players of any sport are usually determined by what goes on between the ears.
  11. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 00:17
    Hockey has a lot of fighting.
    There was a saying years back ....

I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out !! 😀
  12. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 01:391 edit
    Originally posted by mghrn55
    Being good at any sport is not always based on physique.
    Babe Ruth did not have an athletic build. But his name speaks for itself.
    Jack Nicklaus would not be considered athletic, at this point is considered the greatest golfer of all time (sorry Tiger, you're running out of time).
    In Ice hockey, Wayne Gretzky was not the best or fastest skater, didn't hav ...[text shortened]... n.

The greatest players of any sport are usually determined by what goes on between the ears.
    that is true as well. we started off talking about the best athletes in the world. Then I suggested a criteria. For us in the States, to be considered a great athlete, you have to have cardio. That is a must. Football / Soccer was thought of as the best athletes in the world.

So Cardio, agility, the ability to jump, eye hand coordination, strength, running, sprinting, endurance, skill, and more of what I have not listed in here. If you read from the start of this thread, they had the best ideas for the best athletes, and the toughest sports, and another great category, beautiful woman (with all respect) which Pole Vaulting was one, and actually it was best physique not beautiful woman.

Great idea's, from everyone. Far better then mine, and the most fun I have had in any thread since being in a forum. I was never one for forums anyway. So I Post what i love. Which is MMA. In any case, a ton of sports came up, idea's, and I am hoping it starts up again. Lemondrop came up with a fantastic thread, and everyone who participated was great.

Sports I never even thought of.

However, I was hoping one of them was going to explain cricket to me. I can google it. But it is much more fun when someone with passion for it talks about it. It feels more real and engaging. Babe Ruth was actually athletic. But horrible build. And you should not be able to drink, smoke, and be really over weight and still be great at your sport. lol There are skill sports, and then athletic type sports where you find the best athletes. And I think it was shown that there are so many sports where a case can be made for the best athletes, and what the toughest sports are to do. Fun thread to read through.
  13. SubscriberVESPIN
    RIP Mghrn55
    United States
    Moves
    04 Nov '16 01:45
    Originally posted by mghrn55
    Hockey has a lot of fighting.
    There was a saying years back ....

I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out !! 😀
    lol lol I know that saying. It is true. But with new rules, and the way they have cracked down on the fights, it actually hurt attendance.

Sad but true. Those guys are tough. No getting around it. And they are so athletic as well. And they have endurance, they are fast, and agility? Forget about it! They are amazing. I never gave it much thought, but Hockey must be in there as well.

What Wayne did with a puck? It is like Michael Jordan of basketball. Just beautiful to watch.

Love the quote!! 🙂
  14. Santiago
    Moves
    11 Nov '16 04:43
    I'd add boxing into the mix. Go at a punchbag for 3 minutes - tired - then think how tired you'd be if someone was hitting you at the same time.
  15. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    11 Nov '16 05:51
    Lemondrop? What is the game Shinty? I never heard of it. I could google it. But it's more fun to hear people describe it. More passion in it that way. This is one of the best threads in ages. I love learning about new sports. 🙂 I am always in awe of people who can do things I cant do. Which is a very long list lol
    Shinty is the ancestor of field hockey

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree