1. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    21 Jan '24 15:08
    The point of religion is to be free to serve the God or gods of a religion. Here it serves to have arguments and points for debating with those who ask what's the point of religion?

Obviously there is more than one singe point. The question heading the thread should have read, What are the points of religion? It needed to be more explicit as to the objective(s) for having created the thread.

There are many sources from which to draw the points. What is the point can be drawn as to the essence of religion. The essence being why does it exist? It can very well be the work of nature which created religion. And thereafter using the essence (existence) to make many points out of religion.

The general consensus floating around the world today would tell us that religion exists for a variety of reasons, ranging from social cohesion and moral guidance to providing a framework for understanding and interpreting the world around us. Here are some of the main reasons:

Pro-sociality: Religion often serves as a social tool, enabling people to live in large, cooperative societies. It encourages individuals to be charitable and fair towards each other, fostering a sense of community and mutual support. For instance, research has shown that individuals who participate in a world religion tend to be more fair towards strangers in economic games compared to those who are not religious.

Neural Underpinnings: Religion can influence our neural responses. Studies have shown that writing about religion can lower the "uh-oh" response, suggesting that religion may help people become calmer and less anxious. Moreover, religious people are often less prone to depression and anxiety, leading to a longer, healthier life.

Morality and Social Order: Religion often provides moral guidance and helps maintain social order. Through stories and rituals, religions have built on five basic moral foundations: Do no harm, play fairly, be loyal to your group, respect authority, and live purely. These moral principles help unite people and allow them to live together cooperatively.

Explanation for the Unknown: Religion offers explanations for what we don't understand. It provides a framework for interpreting natural events and phenomena, offering a sense of order and predictability in a world that can often seem chaotic and unpredictable.

Evolutionary Strategy for Survival: Some researchers suggest that religion may be a byproduct of the way our brains work, growing from cognitive tendencies to seek order from chaos, to anthropomorphize our environment, and to believe the world around us was created for our use. Religion may have helped us form increasingly larger social groups, held together by common beliefs.

Group Living and Survival: From a Darwinian perspective, religion can be seen as an evolutionary strategy for group living and survival. By fostering cooperation and altruism within groups, religion may have contributed to the success of early human societies.

It's important to note that these are not exhaustive explanations, and the existence of religion is a complex issue with many facets. Each of these points offers a unique perspective on why religion exists, and together they provide a comprehensive understanding of its various roles and functions in society.

Obviously religion has its negative points, as history and current events will show. But that depends on the point as to how it's abused in its uses. It's just another tool to be used with caution and control. When religion is in the wrong hands, it can cause a lot of damage, rather than good.

Religion, like any other tool or institution, can be misused or manipulated by those in power for their own gain. This can lead to harmful consequences, such as conflicts, persecutions, and discrimination. It's crucial to approach religion with critical thinking and to ensure that it promotes tolerance, equality, and peace.

Now, with that said, let the bickering begin. Personal cons and pros as to the worldly general consensus?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '24 02:15
    @pettytalk said

The question heading the thread should have read, What are the points of religion? It needed to be more explicit as to the objective(s) for having created the thread.
    The objective of the OP is obvious; to discuss the point of religion. And I gave a couple of examples as an opening gambit for others to follow or to add to.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jan '24 10:47
    @fmf said
    I have been talking about the Abrahamic religions. In Christianity for example the belief that Jesus conquered death and the belief that everlasting life awaits - in return for belief - is "the point" of the religion - and those beliefs are axiomatic and instrumental in the psychological mechanism for coping that is provided.
    This canard that the carrot at the end of the stick for Christians is everlasting life might be true for some Christians, but these would be the Christians who can't even be bothered to actually follow Christ's example. They think they can float through life giving lip service to the basic tenets of the faith and still expect some brass ring at the end of a life spent denigrating others for unbelief when they don't think it important to actually live their faith day by day.

Ahh, forget it, it's not like my words here will actually help anyone. This is not really the place. Nobody here is ready for the kind of profound change I'm talking about. The life lived more abundantly is worth at least as much as everlasting life, but I never hear anyone talking about that here.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 10:32
    @suzianne said
    Ahh, forget it, it's not like my words here will actually help anyone. This is not really the place. Nobody here is ready for the kind of profound change I'm talking about.
    Perhaps you are thinking too highly of this forum, yourself and the value of your contributions here.

Maybe you would indeed be better off focusing your efforts on finishing your Masters and helping the socially deprived of downtown Phoenix, both of which you seem to have spent at least the last 5 years talking about and in September 2022 you of course famously left to to do…. For about 42 days … Thread 194565 and which in you your profile you still claim to be doing.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jan '24 11:34
    @suzianne said
    This canard that the carrot at the end of the stick for Christians is everlasting life might be true for some Christians, but these would be the Christians who can't even be bothered to actually follow Christ's example. They think they can float through life giving lip service to the basic tenets of the faith and still expect some brass ring at the end of a life spent denig ...[text shortened]... ntly is worth at least as much as everlasting life, but I never hear anyone talking about that here.
    Christians who ... think they can float through life giving lip service to the basic tenets of the faith and still expect some brass ring at the end of a life spent denigrating others for unbelief when they don't think it important to actually live their faith day by day.

There is absolutely nothing a Christian could say that would make me feel "denigrated" on account of my unbelief. Do you think Christians can make non-believers feel "denigrated"? I don't think they can.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jan '24 20:58
    @fmf said
    Christians who ... think they can float through life giving lip service to the basic tenets of the faith and still expect some brass ring at the end of a life spent denigrating others for unbelief when they don't think it important to actually live their faith day by day.

There is absolutely nothing a Christian could say that would make me feel "denigrated" on account o ...[text shortened]... unbelief. Do you think Christians can make non-believers feel "denigrated"? I don't think they can.
    I don't exactly care how they "feel". Christians still denigrate them for unbelief. That is a statement you cannot disagree with unless you change it to consider what the denigrated "feel".
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Jan '24 21:00
    @divegeester said
    Perhaps you are thinking too highly of this forum, yourself and the value of your contributions here.

Maybe you would indeed be better off focusing your efforts on finishing your Masters and helping the socially deprived of downtown Phoenix, both of which you seem to have spent at least the last 5 years talking about and in September 2022 you of course famously left t ...[text shortened]... out 42 days … Thread 194565 and which in you your profile you still claim to be doing.
    Nothing has changed.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Jan '24 21:20
    @suzianne said
    I don't exactly care how they "feel". Christians still denigrate them for unbelief. That is a statement you cannot disagree with unless you change it to consider what the denigrated "feel".
    Denigration that has no effect ~ that is not felt by those being denigrated ~ is meaningless.
  9. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    31 Jan '24 21:02
    @divegeester

You are right that it is about what you believe and also the message.

Suzi also mentions everlasting life and that of course is part of it, but it’s conditional as she also quite correctly says.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    31 Jan '24 22:24
    @medullah said
    @divegeester

You are right that it is about what you believe and also the message.

Suzi also mentions everlasting life and that of course is part of it, but it’s conditional as she also quite correctly says.
    I don’t think it is.
  11. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    01 Feb '24 22:25
    @divegeester

I'm interested to understand your take on it. Is it

1) that you think that people will get everlasting life irrespctive

2) that you don't think that it is on the table?

3) an other that i have overlooked?
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Feb '24 22:43
    @medullah said
    @divegeester

When you preclude the impossible due to morality, then only one option remains. So if external suffering/torture is out, then life is in.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Feb '24 08:12
    @fmf said
    Denigration that has no effect ~ that is not felt by those being denigrated ~ is meaningless.
    Perhaps you missed the point I was making when I said it.

🙄
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Feb '24 08:16
    @medullah said
    @divegeester

He thinks everyone, regardless of engagement, is automatically saved.

(This one thinks it's because this means the one being saved doesn't have to do anything, even believe. Yeah, never mind John 3:16.)
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Feb '24 09:101 edit
    @suzianne said
    He thinks everyone, regardless of engagement, is automatically saved.

(This one thinks it's because this means the one being saved doesn't have to do anything, even believe. Yeah, never mind John 3:16.)
    How many times do I need to explain this to you; are you being deliberately thick for some reason.

There are only 3 options for the afterlife:
    1) eternal suffering and torture
    2) annihilation
    3) life

Once one dispenses with 1) and 2) on morality grounds, then only 3) remains.

Why do you believe what you believe?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree