1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:31
    Originally posted by MarshallPrice
    As far as Satan as an archetype, just look at the character of Satan.
    I'm trying to. Here, again:

Take these (from your OP) for example:

8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
    9. Do not harm little children.
    10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.

What "the character of Satan" angle are you suggesting there is to these principles or rules?
  2. Joined
    07 Feb '17
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    Does your "close friend" believe that "Satan" exists?
    Why is close friend in quotes?

And he does not believe in the Christian Devil, if that's what you're asking.
  3. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:315 edits
    I'm not a Satanist, but a close friend of mine is. We were talking about religion today and he gave me a copy of LaVey's Satanic Bible. I've been thumbing through it and found some of the core messages rather interesting. Below will be The Eleven Satanic Rules of The Earth and The Nine Satanic Sins copied from The Church of Satan's official website.
    ...[text shortened]... ought I might as well put some information out there for the people who may find it interesting.
    4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.

11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them.

Some advice:

1. Never annoy your close friend in his 'lair'.

2. Make sure to stop bothering your close friend when he asks you to especially when he is walking in open territory.😵
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:33
    Why is close friend in quotes?

And he does not believe in the Christian Devil, if that's what you're asking.
    I'll try again, then. If your close friend believe that "Satan" exists, why does he describe himself as a "Satanist"?
  5. Joined
    07 Feb '17
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'm trying to. Here, again:

Take these (from your OP) for example:

8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
    9. Do not harm little children.
    10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.

What "the character of Satan" angle are you suggesting there is to these principles or rules?
    Did you not see the top half of that reply? I explained that some of the aspects of LaVeyan Satanism is from LaVey himself and his own mix of philosophies.
  6. Joined
    07 Feb '17
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:34
    Originally posted by FMF
    I'll try again, then. If your close friend believe that "Satan" exists, why does he describe himself as a "Satanist"?
    This should help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:35
    Again, I am not a Satanist, I personally find it to not mesh very well with my own philosophies.
    In so far as you agree with some of the rules and principles outlined in your OP, are you perhaps a partial "Satanist"?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:35
    This should help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanism
    What is it you want to discuss then?
  9. Joined
    07 Feb '17
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    In so far as you agree with some of the rules and principles outlined in your OP, are you perhaps a partial "Satanist"?
    I'll concede that I agree with some of the ideas presented, but I don't identify as a Satanist.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:38
    Did you not see the top half of that reply? I explained that some of the aspects of LaVeyan Satanism is from LaVey himself and his own mix of philosophies.
    I am not overly interested in the fact that LaVey used the word "Satanism" to sell his book. You have sidestepped my question: What do 8. 9. and 10. from your OP (for example) tell us about (or or how are they informed by) "the character of Satan" as you put it?
  11. Joined
    07 Feb '17
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    What is it you want to discuss then?
    In all honesty, I'm curious as to what people think about the rules and sins in my OP in contrast with what people commonly believe to be Satanism (Devil Worship).
  12. Joined
    07 Feb '17
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:41
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am not overly interested in the fact that LaVey used the word "Satanism" to sell his book. You have sidestepped my question: What do 8. 9. and 10. from your OP (for example) tell us about (or or how are they informed by) "the character of Satan" as you put it?
    I didn't sidestep your question. You asked, I provided an answer. It's just not what you wanted to hear.

I'll answer again.

LaVey injected his own thoughts and opinions into his books, which means not everything is going to be a direct translation of how he interpreted the character of Satan.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:42
    I'll concede that I agree with some of the ideas presented, but I don't identify as a Satanist.
    So what makes your close friend a "Satanist"? And if he doesn't believe in the existence of "Satan" what does it matter if he chooses to identify himself as a "Satanist"? Does it just mean he likes some book with "Satanic" in the title that some guy wrote in the 60s?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:44
    LaVey injected his own thoughts and opinions into his books, which means not everything is going to be a direct translation of how he interpreted the character of Satan.
    Looking at the OP, what do points 8, 9 and 10, for example have to do with "Satan" and "Satanism" and being "Satanic"? A link of any kind would be interesting. Can you think of any connection or commonality at all?
  15. Joined
    07 Feb '17
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    So what makes your close friend a "Satanist"? And if he doesn't believe in the existence of "Satan" what does it matter if he chooses to identify himself as a "Satanist"? Does it just mean he likes some book with "Satanic" in the title that some guy wrote in the 60s?
    If you want to break it down as far as possible, then I'll admit that that's what it boils down to.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree