1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 02:25
    Originally posted by MarshallPrice
    Satan, in the context of LaVeyan Satanism, is a symbol of rebellion and individualism.
    What does it have to do with "Satan"?
  2. Joined
    07 Feb '17
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 02:26
    Here are The Nine Satanic Statements, what Satan means to LaVeyan Satanists.

1. Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence.

2.Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams.

3.Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit.

4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates.

5. Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek.

6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires.

7. Satan represents man as just another animal who, because of his "divine spiritual and intellectual development", has become the most vicious animal of all.

8. Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification.

9.Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 02:27
    ...Satan is a lot of things to a lot of people. Whether that be a symbol, an idea, a force of nature, or a concrete entity is completely up to the person in question.
    Are you hoping that "Satanists" are going to come forward on this thread to tell you who "Satan" is for them?
  4. Joined
    07 Feb '17
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 02:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    What "religion" is it you think you have started a thread on? You could tell me that.
    LaVeyan Satanism. It's a religion and philosophy. I've said it multiple times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVeyan_Satanism

For your convenience.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 02:29
    Here are The Nine Satanic Statements, what Satan means to LaVeyan Satanists.

1. Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence.

2.Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams.

3.Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit.

4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of lo ...[text shortened]... has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as he has kept it in business all these years
    Surely this is a complete hijacking of the actual meaning of the word "Satan"?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 02:30
    LaVeyan Satanism. It's a religion and philosophy. I've said it multiple times.
    If you say it is a "religion", then what belief in (and worship) of a superhuman controlling power are you claiming it professes or promotes?
  7. Joined
    07 Feb '17
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 02:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    Surely this is a complete hijacking of the actual meaning of the word "Satan"?
    Not at all. It's looking at the character and breaking it down to the traits. Rebellion against the herd mentality, individualism, carnality, pride.

If this is an topic I shouldn't have brought up, I'll abandon the thread and call it a day.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 02:34
    Not at all. It's looking at the character and breaking it down to the traits. Rebellion against the herd mentality, individualism, carnality, pride.
    Yes, but what does it have to do with "Satan"? "Satan" is a defined character.
  9. Joined
    07 Feb '17
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 02:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    Yes, but what does it have to do with "Satan"? "Satan" is a defined character.
    Satan is a character. Satan is also an archetype.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 02:37
    Satan is a character. Satan is also an archetype.
    Take these for example:

8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
    9. Do not harm little children.
    10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.

What "Satan" angle are you suggesting there is to these principles or rules?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 02:38
    Satan is also an archetype.
    How so?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 02:501 edit
    According to The Satanic Bible, these are the rules you must live by and sins you must avoid in order to be a LaVeyan Satanist.
    We are no more likely to get the author Anton Szandor LaVey to come here to explain his book [and his cunning this-will-cause-a-stir-and-sell-shedloads-of-books appropriation of the word "Satan"] than we are to get L. Ron Hubbard here to discuss his book [and his vast wealth generating appropriation of the planets in our galaxy], seeing as they are both dead.
  13. Joined
    07 Feb '17
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    Take these for example:

8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
    9. Do not harm little children.
    10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.

What "Satan" angle are you suggesting there is to these principles or rules?
    I'll take this moment to say that LaVeyan Satanism is a combination of the archetype of Satan and various philosophies that Anton LaVey himself followed. So not everything in The Satanic Bible is directly comparable to the character of Satan.

As far as Satan as an archetype, just look at the character of Satan. Rebelling against/questioning authority, bringing the knowledge of good and evil to humanity, rejection of pointless dogma, and the encouragement to embrace individuality through sin.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:27
    I'm not a Satanist, but a close friend of mine is.
    Does your "close friend" believe that "Satan" exists?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Mar '17 03:29
    As far as Satan as an archetype, just look at the character of Satan. Rebelling against/questioning authority, bringing the knowledge of good and evil to humanity, rejection of pointless dogma, and the encouragement to embrace individuality through sin.
    If someone does not actually believe in "Satan" and "God" then how would they believe in "sin"? "Sin" is surely transgression of "the will of God".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree