1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 12:48
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    If you disagree feel free to show me how one subjective opinion can be more valid than another if there is no objective criteria by which to judge them.
    "Valid" in whose eyes?

All your grindingly repetitive questions suggest pretty clearly that you are simply ignoring just about everything I said on the "Hitler" thread.

What do you do in situations where the decisions of people are the key to it and you think there are "no objective criteria by which to judge them"?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 12:50
    Sorry this post should have read: [i]blah blah blah repetitious blah blah ad nauseam...
    Nevertheless, Give me an example of some things in your imagination that are connected with angels and demons and deities and supernatural phenomena and that you think are "objective opinions".
  3. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 13:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    "Valid" in whose eyes?

All your grindingly repetitive questions suggest pretty clearly that you are simply ignoring just about everything I said on the "Hitler" thread.

What do you do in situations where the decisions of people are the key to it and you think there are "no objective criteria by which to judge them"?
    Let's say for arguments sake there are no moral absolutes, how would I as a neutral third party be able to objectively judge whether your morals are more valid than Hitlers? What criteria or which standards should I use? Yours? Hitlers? Societies? Common sense? Instinct? Whatever works?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 13:32
    ...how would I as a neutral third party be able to objectively judge whether your morals are more valid than Hitlers? What criteria or which standards should I use? Yours? Hitlers? Societies? Common sense? Instinct? Whatever works?
    How and why would you be "a neutral third party" who was "judging [my] morals"?

What is this ludicrous scenario?

It comes across as sheer nonsense.

Why would I be concerned - in any way whatsoever - about whether people murdering millions of Jews happened to think of their actions were morally valid? How does that create any moral dilemma for me?

As for you, do you feel unable to condemn the genocide perpetrated by the Nazis - and to be certain in your own mind that condemning it is the right stance to take - without your ancient Hebrew mythology?
  5. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 13:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    How and why would you be "a neutral third party" who was "judging [my] morals"?

What is this ludicrous scenario?

It comes across as sheer nonsense.

Why would I be concerned - in any way whatsoever - about whether people murdering millions of Jews happened to think of their actions were morally valid? How does that create any moral dilemma for me?

As ...[text shortened]... own mind that condemning it is the right stance to take - without your ancient Hebrew mythology?
    So are you saying it is common sense that murdering millions of Jews is always wrong under all circumstances?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 14:04
    So are you saying it is common sense that murdering millions of Jews is always wrong under all circumstances?
    It's my common sense. It's my moral compass. Why do I have to worry if the people running the gas chambers thought my condemnation of them was "valid" or not?

And here are the two parts of the post you were ostensibly replying to, that you seem to have ignored... here they are again:

As for you, do you feel unable to condemn the genocide perpetrated by the Nazis - and to be certain in your own mind that condemning it is the right stance to take - without your ancient Hebrew mythology?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 14:05
    Let's say for arguments sake there are no moral absolutes, how would I as a neutral third party be able to objectively judge whether your morals are more valid than Hitlers?
    How and why would you be "a neutral third party" who was "judging [my] morals"? Explain this scenario.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 14:07
    Probably not, because I have a God given conscience.

Now would you care to answer my question since I have answered yours?
    Sure thing, if you can jiggle it a little to make sense and ensure it is something I have not already repeatedly answered.
  9. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 14:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    It's my common sense. It's my moral compass. Why do I have to worry if the people running the gas chambers thought my condemnation of them was "valid" or not?

And here are the two parts of the post you were ostensibly replying to, that you seem to have ignored... here they are again:

Why would I be concerned - in any way whatsoever - about whether people ...[text shortened]... own mind that condemning it is the right stance to take - without your ancient Hebrew mythology?
    1.If you say your moral standard is based on common sense, then what do you do when what is “common sense” for you contradicts with what is “common sense” for someone else?

2. If what you believe is common sense contradicts what someone else considers to be common sense, then are your judgments really “common sense”?

3. If, however, you say that your common sense morals should be followed by others because they are right, then how is that not being arrogant since you are elevating your personal, subjective, moral opinions above those of others and saying they should follow what you believe?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 14:181 edit
    1.If you say your moral standard is based on common sense, then what do you do when what is “common sense” for you contradicts with what is “common sense” for someone else?
    I would disagree with them.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 14:18
    2. If what you believe is common sense contradicts what someone else considers to be common sense, then are your judgments really “common sense”?
    Give me a scenario.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 14:22
    3. If, however, you say that your common sense morals should be followed by others because they are right, then how is that not being arrogant since you are elevating your personal, subjective, moral opinions above those of others and saying they should follow what you believe?
    The only practical sense in which I believe and endeavour to ensure my "common sense morals should be followed by others" is with my children, and once they leave my home they will be guided by the moral compass that they have grown up with and developed. I am not asking people like you, for example, to "follow what I believe". It's a straw man for you to suggest that I am.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 14:23
    1.If you say your moral standard is based on common sense, then what do you do when what is “common sense” for you contradicts with what is “common sense” for someone else? 2. If what you believe is common sense contradicts what someone else considers to be common sense, then are your judgments really “common sense”? 3. If, however, you say that your common sense morals should be followed by others because they are right, then how is that not being arrogant since you are elevating your personal, subjective, moral opinions above those of others and saying they should follow what you believe?

The text above is still dodging what I asked you, which was:

14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 14:241 edit

3. If, however, you say that yo ...[text shortened]... subjective, moral opinions above those of others and saying they should follow what you believe?
    Shall I bring the question you are repeatedly dodging there, into this thread?
  15. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 17:18
    Originally posted by FMF
    I would disagree with them.
    If you say your morals are common sense to you, then are they true for everyone or just for you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree