1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 05:361 edit
    This thread is aimed at those who believe that there are no moral absolutes:

Do you have an objective standard of morality by which you can judge whether or not something is morally right or wrong?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 05:41
    There is a very recent, extended discussion of this topic on Thread 171350
  3. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 05:461 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    There is a very recent, extended discussion of this topic on Thread 171350
    Post is edited: This discussion is for those who believe there are no moral absolutes.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 05:54
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Between you and me, I would like to hear other views as well.
    I don't think you are even the slightest bit interested in hearing views other than your own except as an excuse for you to make the same assertions and ask the same questions over and over and over and over again. Indeed, in order to end up making the same assertions and asking the same questions over and over again, you appear to deliberately ignore views other than your own. If you intend to behave differently on this thread, all well and good.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 05:56
    This discussion is for those who believe there are no moral absolutes.
    Does that rule you out of this discussion then?
  6. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 06:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    Does that rule you out of this discussion then?
    I am questioning those who believe there are no moral absolutes, obviously because if there aren't any it would mean everyone's view is equally valid. Even you agree that everyone's view can't be equally valid.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 06:38
    I am questioning those who believe there are no moral absolutes, obviously because if there aren't any it would mean everyone's view is equally valid.
    Haven't you already aired your disagreement with them on other threads in the last few hours and days?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 06:43
    I am questioning those who believe there are no moral absolutes, obviously because if there aren't any it would mean everyone's view is equally valid. Even you agree that everyone's view can't be equally valid.
    My views on this are expounded on Thread 171350
  9. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 06:522 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    Haven't you already aired your disagreement with them on other threads in the last few hours and days?
    Yes I cannot accept that the view 'torturing a baby for fun is morally acceptable' is equally valid to the view 'torturing a baby for fun is not morally acceptable'. Why can you?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 07:21
    Yes I cannot accept that the view 'torturing a baby for fun is morally acceptable' is equally valid to the view 'torturing a baby for fun is not morally acceptable'.
    I suggest you seek out someone who does believe the two views are "equally valid" and see how they defend such a stance. But hoping that someone who takes such a moral stance will just turn up, here in this community and on this thread, seems a bit overly optimistic.
  11. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 07:221 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    I suggest you seek out someone who does believe the two views are "equally valid" and see how they defend such a stance. But hoping that someone who takes such a moral stance will just turn up, here in this community and on this thread, seems a bit overly optimistic.
    Anyone who believes there are no moral absolutes believes by default that all views on morality are equally valid. Else you would have to say that one subjective opinion is more valid than another. Which makes no sense at all.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 07:31
    Anyone who believes there are no moral absolutes believes by default that all views on morality are equally valid.
    Do they?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 07:32
    Else you would have to say that one subjective opinion is more valid than another. Which makes no sense at all.
    Do you think your superstitions are "objective"?
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 07:39
    What criteria are we using for deciding how valid a moral view is?
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Jan '17 07:431 edit
    Yes I cannot accept that the view 'torturing a baby for fun is morally acceptable' is equally valid to the view 'torturing a baby for fun is not morally acceptable'. Why can you?
    IOW: What are your criteria of validity?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree