1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 15:38
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    You have personal knowledge of falling off your bike. You have no such personal knowledge about God or the creation of the universe, to justify any truth claims..
    You have no such personal knowledge about God.

If I find a painting left by a painter I would know the painter exists, no?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 15:39
    Gimmicks galore.
  3. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 15:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    So what do you actually think you are achieving with regard to everyone when you declare that your superstitious beliefs about supernatural things constitute "universal truths"?

If it has no consequence to me, for example, that you declare your beliefs to be "universal truths", what is your purpose for doing it when you talk to me?
    Isn't the purpose of our discussions to communicate our beliefs to each other? If I believe in universal truth should I not communicate this to you so that you can try to understand my beliefs?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 15:44
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Isn't the purpose of our discussions to communicate our beliefs to each other?
    I don't see why not ~ I understand that you have notions regarding supernatural things about which you are certain, but what is the purpose of you adding the adjective the adjectives "absolute" and "universal" to people with different beliefs and who already get that you feel certain about yours?
  5. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 15:46
    Originally posted by FMF
    I don't see why not ~ I understand that you have notions regarding supernatural things about which you are certain, but what is the purpose of you adding the adjective the adjectives "absolute" and "universal" to people with different beliefs and who already get that you feel certain about yours?
    The purpose is to communicate that I believe truth is universal and not relative. I think you already know this yet you continue to flog a dead horse.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 15:47
    If I believe in universal truth should I not communicate this to you so that you can try to understand my beliefs?
    But the thing you communicate to me by attaching the term "universal" etc. etc.to the import and application of your beliefs comes across as a kind of inarticulate bombast. And yet I suspect that isn't what you seek to communicate.
  7. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 May '17 16:57
    [b]You have no such personal knowledge about God.

If I find a painting left by a painter I would know the painter exists, no?[/b]
    Your analogy is heavily flawed.

I'm not even inspired to address it.
  8. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 17:17
    Your analogy is heavily flawed.

I'm not even inspired to address it.
    I asked you a question, you are clearly not inspired to say yes, so rather ignore it. 🙂
  9. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 17:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    But the thing you communicate to me by attaching the term "universal" etc. etc.to the import and application of your beliefs comes across as a kind of inarticulate bombast. And yet I suspect that isn't what you seek to communicate.
    You clearly have issues with me using the words 'universal truth', so for now I think 'truth' alone will suffice.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 17:56
    You clearly have issues with me using the words 'universal truth', so for now I think 'truth' alone will suffice.
    The "issues" are yours not mine. Every time you use the word "universal" it's as if you are feeling the need to say you're 'very, very, very certain you're right' as if doing so affects the traction of whatever notion or personal opinion of yours it is you are referring to.
  11. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 18:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    The "issues" are yours not mine. Every time you use the word "universal" it's as if you are feeling the need to say you're 'very, very, very certain you're right' as if doing so affects the traction of whatever notion or personal opinion of yours it is you are referring to.
    If I wanted to say I was very very very certain I would. The word 'universal' has nothing to do with my certainty.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 May '17 18:06
    I asked you a question, you are clearly not inspired to say yes, so rather ignore it. 🙂
    I got the question, it was just encased in a tediously inane analogy that was refuted centuries ago.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 18:20
    The word 'universal' has nothing to do with my certainty.
    Your certainty is the only thing your use of the word "universal" has to do with. It has absolutely on other connotation and adds no information other than it indicates your attitude towards the personal opinion you are expressing.
  14. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 18:23
    I got the question, it was just encased in a tediously inane analogy that was refuted centuries ago.
    So is that a yes or a no to my question? 😉
  15. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 18:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your certainty is the only thing your use of the word "universal" has to do with. It has absolutely on other connotation and adds no information other than it indicates your attitude towards the personal opinion you are expressing.
    Actually it does and I have explained to you before that I said it as a distinction from relative truth.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree