1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 06:35
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Do you think your beliefs are true?
    I have answered this question already and did so in a thoughtful way that explained my thinking. I also answered it on those threads a few months ago.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 06:36
    I am not talking about pretending anything.
    You are pretending to know what the origin of life on earth was.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Apr '17 06:411 edit
    I am talking about the conviction of your beliefs being true.
    What you claim to be "true" - regardless of how firm your conviction is - does not have any consequences for me and does not affect the reality in which I exist. You appending the word "universal" or "absolute" to "truth" about the matters of superstition that you propagate is meaningless. It's just a redundant intensifier like putting very, very, very in front of the word "true".
  4. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 13:47
    Originally posted by FMF
    You are pretending to know what the origin of life on earth was.
    Believing that something is true is not the same as claiming to know something. I'm not pretending to know anything. But I do believe God was responsible for the origin of life.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 13:54
    Believing that something is true is not the same as claiming to know something. I'm not pretending to know anything. But I do believe God was responsible for the origin of life.
    So you don't know what the origin of the earth is, but what you just so happen to believe about it is something you call an "absolute" and "universal truth"?
  6. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 13:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    So you don't know what the origin of the earth is, but what you just so happen to believe about it is something you call an "absolute" and "universal truth"?
    I believe it is true, yes.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 13:571 edit
    I believe it is true, yes.
    So what? What is "universal" about this thing you think about something you admit you do not know?
  8. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 14:061 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    So what? What is "universal" about this think you admit you do not know?
    I believe it is true. And I believe certain truths are universal by nature and apply to all people. This is just one of those truths. If I believe God created me surely this means I have to believe he created everyone else? Or do you think it would be reasonable for me to believe I was created by God and all the Hindus came about by reincarnation?
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 14:12
    I believe it is true. And I believe certain truths are universal by nature and apply to all people. This is just one of those truths. If I believe God created me surely this means I have to believe he created everyone else?
    But this has no consequence of any kind for me or anyone else who is not a Christian. The only consequence as far as I am aware is the psychological effect it has on you which you find reassuring and meaningful. For me it is just inconsequential ~ funny kind of "universal truth" you've got yourself there.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 14:15
    ...do you think it would be reasonable for me to believe I was created by God and all the Hindus came about by reincarnation?
    It would be no more or less reasonable than what you actually do believe, and it makes no difference to anyone else, aside perhaps from family etc. There's nothing about it that compels me to perceive it as a "universal truth".
  11. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 14:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    But this has no consequence of any kind for me or anyone else who is not a Christian. The only consequence as far as I am aware is the psychological effect it has on you which you find reassuring and meaningful. For me it is just inconsequential ~ funny kind of "universal truth" you've got yourself there.
    Well of course you don't see that it does, but from my perspective if it is true, which I believe, then it has to apply to everyone,whether they believe it or not, else it is not true.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 14:26
    Well of course you don't see that it does, but from my perspective if it is true, which I believe, then it has to apply to everyone,whether they believe it or not, else it is not true.
    And what is the consequence for me of you believing it applies to me?
  13. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 14:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    And what is the consequence for me of you believing it applies to me?
    From my perspective you don't believe the truth because you not yet been convinced of it. If you believed that you had the truth you would try to share it with others, no? That fact that you question everyone else's beliefs yet don't seem to even attempt to convince anyone of your own, seems to indicate that you have no conviction of your beliefs being true.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 14:40
    From my perspective you don't believe the truth because you not yet been convinced of it. If you believed that you had the truth you would try to share it with others, no? That fact that you question everyone else's beliefs yet don't seem to even attempt to convince anyone of your own, seems to indicate that you have no conviction of your beliefs being true.
    I am not asking you what your perspective is about me. I am asking you what is the consequence for me of you believing your "universal truth" applies to me, whereas I do not?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 14:42
    If you believed that you had the truth you would try to share it with others, no?
    Well neither of us know the origin of the earth. I admit it. You admit it. What is it you want me to "share" about it beyond that?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree