1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    22 Nov '14 15:02
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    It's not his sharp and well prepared openings that Carlsen is known for.
    No i know that, but i am surprised that he was caught with his pants down in his loss. As Anand said in the press conference, the line he played has been used by Aronian. I would have thought Carlsen would analyse all of Aronians games as a matter of course..
  2. e4
    Moves
    23 Nov '14 16:51
    Carlsen won game 11 and retains the World Championship.

Carlsen - Anand 2014 World Championship (game11)

3. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    23 Nov '14 18:06
    What was 27...Rb4 all about? He seemed to crumble shortly after that..

Ah well, I doubt he'd have won the final game anyway.
    Congrats McArlsen!
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    23 Nov '14 20:29
    According to the annotation on you tube,the compensation is the connected pawns one of them passed.
  5. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 12:39
    I think it is a real shame that Anand crumbled like that in time pressure. Technically black was already better, there was no need to sac the exchange. I think a draw would have been a decent result for him. Why not take it into a decider in which you get to play with white? The pressure on Carlsen would have been immense! Vishy has played so well with white this championship, I feel a little cheated we never got to see which line he would choose. Obviously he would have to go for something sharp. In that scenario Anand would have nothing to lose, the title is already lost without a win so there is no shame in just throwing the kitchen sink at his opponent and hope to crash the party.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 17:16
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I think it is a real shame that Anand crumbled like that in time pressure. Technically black was already better, there was no need to sac the exchange. I think a draw would have been a decent result for him. Why not take it into a decider in which you get to play with white? The pressure on Carlsen would have been immense! Vishy has played so well with w ...[text shortened]... there is no shame in just throwing the kitchen sink at his opponent and hope to crash the party.
    From the annotation on chessbase I got the impression that Anand overestimated his position, which was good - Carlsen did not look happy after 23. ... b5. But the exchange sacrifice required activity and he had problems getting the a8 rook into the game. Rush of blood to the head maybe.
  7. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 17:181 edit
    I think it is a real shame that Anand crumbled like that in time pressure. Technically black was already better, there was no need to sac the exchange. I think a draw would have been a decent result for him. Why not take it into a decider in which you get to play with white? The pressure on Carlsen would have been immense! Vishy has played so well with w ...[text shortened]... there is no shame in just throwing the kitchen sink at his opponent and hope to crash the party.
    Its not that I don't agree with your post, but don't think Magnus would change his game under immense pressure. The kid (if I can still call him that) is such an amazing player, and the championship is well deserved.
    Per Heino Nielsen (PHN) has a chess blog in a Danish newspaper, Weekendavisen, and I remember him analysing a Magnus game a couple of years ago. For no apparent reason Magnus gave away a pawn. After the game Magnus was asked what the purpose was, and he answered something like (I'm parafrasing): "I didn't exactly knew how to attack [my opponents position], but I knew the pawn was in the way, so I had to get rid of it." PHN was very impressed. Maybe someone else remembers the game?

Congrats to Magnus. Well deserved (again).
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    24 Nov '14 18:47
    I think if you are better, you don't wait for the next game to try and put a point on the board. 'Crumblings' would also have destroyed any edge he could have gotten with white in game 12.
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 Nov '14 21:371 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I think if you are better, you don't wait for the next game to try and put a point on the board. 'Crumblings' would also have destroyed any edge he could have gotten with white in game 12.
    That last move, Kc3 was ballsy, tempting Anand to get a 'free' rook🙂

Hey Vishy, have a free rook🙂
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    26 Nov '14 22:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    That last move, Kc3 was ballsy, tempting Anand to get a 'free' rook🙂

Hey Vishy, have a free rook🙂
    For players of that level, Kc3! is a routine move.

Heck, even a sub-2000 like me can see that black can't actually take the Rook. All that matters is that black's pawns are going to be stopped.
  11. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    27 Nov '14 00:54
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    From the annotation on chessbase I got the impression that Anand overestimated his position, which was good - Carlsen did not look happy after 23. ... b5. But the exchange sacrifice required activity and he had problems getting the a8 rook into the game. Rush of blood to the head maybe.
    Yes i think the occasion got to him, which is surprising given how many WC's Vishy has played. I do think he would have found a freedom in that last game though. Playing white, nothing to lose...Carlsen would have everything to lose!
  12. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    27 Nov '14 00:56
    Originally posted by Lundos
    Its not that I don't agree with your post, but don't think Magnus would change his game under immense pressure. The kid (if I can still call him that) is such an amazing player, and the championship is well deserved.
    Per Heino Nielsen (PHN) has a chess blog in a Danish newspaper, Weekendavisen, and I remember him analysing a Magnus game a couple of years ag ...[text shortened]... impressed. Maybe someone else remembers the game?

Congrats to Magnus. Well deserved (again).
    Don't get me wrong, Carlsen is stronger. That is self evident! Just look at the last 4 or 5 years of tournament results, let alone the rating! I do think Vishy missed his chance though. He had real chances this time! Even without game 6!
  13. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    27 Nov '14 00:58
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Yes i agree. But as i said just now, Carlsen is the only player with something to lose in game 12. Vishy has already lost...strange things happen in this sort of "one game" scenario..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree