14 Nov '14 14:42
    Game 5 was drawn
  2. Joined
    18 Jul '13
    Moves
    14 Nov '14 17:21
    Originally posted by ketchuplover
    Game 5 was drawn
    And the livestream missed the last ten? moves..

So far I really liked the commentary from Peter together with Sopiko. Today it was awful with Ian, at most points they were just blitzing out lines and variations a mortal can't possibly follow, not even say understand.

So far good and entertaining games, hope Magnus and Vishy can keep it up!
  3. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    15 Nov '14 15:31
    Well game 6 is finished, and - not to reveal any spoilers - check out that move 26!
  4. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    15 Nov '14 23:11
  5. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 01:18
    I can't believe Anand missed that. It was just so obvious. He's finished now.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 02:54
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    I can't believe Anand missed that. It was just so obvious. He's finished now.
    Yes, even I spotted the knight move, although since I was going through the game on chessbase and could see the annotations I knew there was a problem. Apparently he moved the pawn quite quickly. I don't think it's all over though, there's only one game in it with 6 to go and I think Anand is capable of putting a missed opportunity behind him. He has to at least draw the next game though.
  7. e4
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 04:21
    Carlsen - Anand (game 6) Black to play.

I played a move in a serious OTB game that allowed a mate in one.
    It was shrugged off. I just laughed and shook my head.

We are not schooled to defend and look at threats against us. For that we
    rely heavily on a sense of danger. (this deserted Carlsen for one critical move.)

All we do (or should do) is the White to play and win puzzles . How many
    do a White to play and defend puzzle. (I cannot recall doing even one -
    are there any White to play and blunder puzzles?)

Yet when I missed a tactical shot for me I was totally livid with myself.
    Really furious.

This is a chess players bread and butter, spotting the blunder. It's what we
    spent all those lonely hours studying for. Spotting the shots. They come in
    many shapes and sizes but we must spot them. We cannot win without this skill.

I said ages before the press conference Anand missed it because it he not
    expecting it. You have to play the board not the man. Carlsen has a hole
    up ass like everyone else, he will blunder.

Anand admited he never saw it because he was not expecting it.

The stupid blunder from game 2 is nothing compared to the miss in this
    game. This is different, everyone makes blunders. Not spotting and
    punishing them is bad chess.

Some are saying this was a good game. (?)

I don't think you will be finding this pearl in Carlsen's best games collection.

8. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 12:19
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    ..... All we do (or should do) is the White to play and win puzzles . How many
    do a White to play and defend puzzle. (I cannot recall doing even one -
    are there any White to play and blunder puzzles?).........
    There is a book with blunders for white :
    "Find the winning move" by Gary lane, there is a lot of fun in the book
  9. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    16 Nov '14 21:18
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Carlsen - Anand (game 6) Black to play.

[fen]6rr/1k3p2/1pb1p1np/p1p1P2R/2P3R1/2P1B3/P1BK1PP1/8 b - - 0 26[/fen]

I played a move in a serious OTB game that allowed a mate in one.
    It was shrugged off. I just laughed and shook my head.

We are not schooled to defend and look at threats against us. For that we
    rely heavily on a sense of danger. ( ...[text shortened]... ally one is enough. Not counting the severe blow to Carlsen's mind had Anand played it.} [/pgn]
    Until he blundered Carlsen was walking it, apparently the opinion of most GMs was that black's position was just plain bad. I wouldn't say it was a poor game, but I agree it's not one of the all time greats either.

I used to have a book called Chess Tactics which had puzzles organised by theme - pins in one chapter, forks in the next and so on; unfortunately I made the mistake of lending it to someone and haven't seen it for 15 years. There were several puzzles of the form white to play and draw, where the objective was to force a repetition or permanent check as the only way of preventing checkmate.

Personally I quite like the idea of "find the right defensive move" puzzles, as it really is something I'm terrible at. I can normally see one of my opponents threats, but frequently miss all of them. Another type of position I'm bad at is where waiting moves are required. I like to be doing something and it's a failing, sometimes what one needs to do is shuffle pieces around pointlessly without giving anything away and I'm bad at that.

White to play and blunder puzzles would be rather good fun.
  10. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    17 Nov '14 11:12
    I suspect that Anand will play much more slowly than usual today and might well end up in time trouble. I predict another McArlsen victory!
  11. e4
    Moves
    17 Nov '14 12:25
    "White to play and blunder'

I guess you find positions where plausible moves walked into trap/trick/combo.

The criteria for the book being being White (or Black) must
    have played the actual move in the game and lost.
  12. Joined
    12 Aug '09
    Moves
    17 Nov '14 13:37
    In the commentary, Peter Svidler apparently explained why one should play the Spanish Opening and the Sicilian Defence. Unfortunately, I missed his explanation. Could someone summarise it here? Thanks!
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Nov '14 14:29
    Maggy has a knight Vs 2 pawns. Enough for win? Game 7.
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    17 Nov '14 16:41
    Originally posted by Linden Lyons
    In the commentary, Peter Svidler apparently explained why one should play the Spanish Opening and the Sicilian Defence. Unfortunately, I missed his explanation. Could someone summarise it here? Thanks!
    I haven't seen it, but the usual argument is that, at a high level, these are the openings which allow for the most imbalance (read: a proper fight) for the least danger. I don't doubt that at that level, it's true, too. That's also why, against d4, the King's Indian is more popular than the Queen's. (At my level, of course, I can blunder equally well in any opening.)
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    17 Nov '14 18:153 edits
    HELD Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    I haven't seen it, but the usual argument is that, at a high level, these are the openings which allow for the most imbalance (read: a proper fight) for the least danger. I don't doubt that at that level, it's true, too. That's also why, against d4, the King's Indian is more popular than the Queen's. (At my level, of course, I can blunder equally well in any opening.)
    So far, Maggy won the pawns and it is k, kn, R Vs K and rook. Is that a win?
    Looks like they are playing blitz now.

Here is a youtube about this kind of position. Looks like maybe 1/3 chance of win, 2/3 chance of draw.
    YouTube

2/3 held out, draw! Now 4-3 in favor of Maggy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree