1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 07:10
    @yo-its-me said
    I don't recall ever hearing anyone say this!

What is your life about, if it's not the people in it?

Children are people you get the privilege of watching become. You see their personality develop right in front of you.

Before I had children, I saw them only as an unwanted tie. My life was going to be about adventure, as much wealth as I could amass and pleasure. W ...[text shortened]... enting is our generations best kept secret. I wonder if what you are hearing is said to protect you.
    I do.

My life is all about the people in it, same as everyone.

I’m sure your 3rd point is one aspect of having offspring.

Sorry to read about your regret of your pre-offspring attitude to adventure.

Protect me from what?
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 07:10
    @yo-its-me said
    I don't recall ever hearing anyone say this!

What is your life about, if it's not the people in it?

Children are people you get the privilege of watching become. You see their personality develop right in front of you.

Before I had children, I saw them only as an unwanted tie. My life was going to be about adventure, as much wealth as I could amass and pleasure. W ...[text shortened]... enting is our generations best kept secret. I wonder if what you are hearing is said to protect you.
    Having the choice of children, or no children, is a privilege - life can be fine either way. Abstaining from children also means from the possibility of having grandchildren - and as in my case, great-grandchildren.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 07:16
    @torunn said
    I would do many things differently but I was too young to know about parenthood. I would have applied rules and authority - Sweden during 60's and 70's was against all kinds of authority, both at home and at school, and we have never quite recovered from that. 🙂
    Parenting is too important to be left to young people. Young people should be forbidden to make babies (let them have as much sex as they want, with contraceptives).

Children need to learn limits. They must be taught to respect rules and authority, but without violence or physical punishment. Otherwise they grow up socio-paths, like Donald Trump.
  4. Gothenburg
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 07:44
    @moonbus said
    Parenting is too important to be left to young people. Young people should be forbidden to make babies (let them have as much sex as they want, with contraceptives).

Children need to learn limits. They must be taught to respect rules and authority, but without violence or physical punishment. Otherwise they grow up socio-paths, like Donald Trump.
    Children need, as you say, rules and consistency which I wasn't clear about. I was an only child, my mother had many siblings. She used to say about my children when they were difficult to handle, 'as long as they don't turn criminal they will be fine'. 🙂 That may seem a low bar, I thought so at the time, but most things turn out well in the long run.

"Give the children love, more love and still more love – and the common sense will come by itself."
    Astrid Lindgren - the author of Pippi Longstocking among other beautiful books.
  5. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 08:21
    @divegeester said
    Been sucked into the void once again it appears.
    Poor benighted swine.
  6. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Apr '24 09:20
    @the-gravedigger said
    Poor benighted swine.
    Pity the void.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree