1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '24 19:26
    For personal (not secret) reasons this supposedly average movie is one of my favourites of all time.

Yes I do like the basic SiFi, I like the humour of the android barman and the “fail safe” nonsense of AI. But mostly I love the pseudo sort-of Adam & Eve storyline, the betrayal, the heroism and the inevitable reconciliation, even if the betrayal hadn’t happened they’d both be dead anyway.

Just a really well thought out and well executed movie. Two people in love living their best lives together.
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '24 19:342 edits
    Arthur (android barman)
    You’re not where you want to be, you feel like you’re supposed to be somewhere else….

Jim
    You said it!

Arthur
    Say you could snap your fingers and be wherever you wanted to be… I bet you’d still feel this (pissed off) way. Not on the right place.

Jim
    (Snerks)

Arthur
    Point is, you can’t get so hung up on where you’d rather be, that you forget to make the most of where you are.

Jim
    What are you telling me?

Arthur
    Take a break from what you can’t control… live a little!

#Android barman wisdom

😄
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Mar '24 19:36
    @divegeester said
    Arthur (android barman)
    You’re not where you want to be, you feel like you’re supposed to be somewhere else….

Jim
    You said it!

Arthur
    Say you could snap your fingers and be wherever you wanted to be… I bet you’d still feel this (pissed off) way. Not on the right place.

Jim
    (Snerks)

Arthur
    Point is, you can’t get so hung up on where you’d rather be, than you forget to make the most of where you are.

#Android barman wisdom

😄
    Also #ItsAWonderfulLife wisdom
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '24 19:38
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I tried that movie a few years ago and struggled with it tbh.

I’ll try it again sometime.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '24 19:39
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Also … is it from that film?
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Mar '24 19:44
    @divegeester said
    Also … is it from that film?
    It shares the same moral - 'you can get so hung up on where you’d rather be, that you forget to make the most of where you are.'

The whole film George begrudges not being able to escape the town and only after he sees what would have happened had he not existed does he come to see the joy of what he had and the people he had helped. - The end of the film is beautiful in its own right.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '24 19:52
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    It shares the same moral - 'you can get so hung up on where you’d rather be, that you forget to make the most of where you are.'

The whole film George begrudges not being able to escape the town and only after he sees what would have happened had he not existed does he come to see the joy of what he had and the people he had helped. - The end of the film is beautiful in its own right.
    I promise I’ll give it another look; probably next Christmas when the time is right.

Have you wanted Passengers?
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Mar '24 19:59
    @divegeester said
    I promise I’ll give it another look; probably next Christmas when the time is right.

Have you wanted Passengers?
    It's a film to watch when you are feeling a bit low (but not too low as not to be able to make it through all the unpleasant things George experiences. The pay off is the ending).

Never heard of Passengers. (Just Googled and has a good cast).
  9. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    10 Mar '24 20:45
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

"The end of the film is beautiful in its own right." Yes, it it is, because it's about friends coming through when we need them. Real friendship!

The ending lines are about bells. Every time a bell rings an angel gets wings. True?

One of Frank Capra's directed moral masterpieces. After all, Capra in Italian means Goat. Life is, in the end, all about sheep and goats, basically. And therefore, the first will be last and the last will be first.

Life is indeed wonderful.

And according to the report of the messenger from the other world this was what the prophet said at the time: ‘Even for the last comer, if he chooses wisely and will live diligently, there is appointed a happy and not undesirable existence. Let not him who chooses first be careless, and let not the last despair.’
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '24 21:35
    @PettyTalk

Have you watched “Passengers”?
  11. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    11 Mar '24 09:38
    @divegeester said
    For personal (not secret) reasons this supposedly average movie is one of my favourites of all time.

Yes I do like the basic SiFi, I like the humour of the android barman and the “fail safe” nonsense of AI. But mostly I love the pseudo sort-of Adam & Eve storyline, the betrayal, the heroism and the inevitable reconciliation, even if the betrayal hadn’t happened they’d ...[text shortened]... eally well thought out and well executed movie. Two people in love living their best lives together.
    Great film.
    Good ending in that they lived because of the betrayal.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '24 09:43
    @divegeester said

Yes I do like the basic SiFi, I like the humour of the android barman and the “fail safe” nonsense of AI. But mostly I love the pseudo sort-of Adam & Eve storyline, the betrayal, the heroism and the inevitable reconciliation, even if the betrayal hadn’t happened they’d ...[text shortened]... eally well thought out and well executed movie. Two people in love living their best lives together.
    Is passengers not the one were the guy is stuck on a ship alone because his pot malfunctioned and opened early then he basically killed another woman by deliberately opening another woman pod?
  13. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    11 Mar '24 10:41
    @a-unique-nickname said
    Is passengers not the one were the guy is stuck on a ship alone because his pot malfunctioned and opened early then he basically killed another woman by deliberately opening another woman pod?
    She didn't die.
  14. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    11 Mar '24 15:53
    @the-gravedigger said
    She didn't die.
    We all die, otherwise you would be unemployed.
  15. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    11 Mar '24 15:55
    @a-unique-nickname said
    Pot malfunctioned? Maybe it was only oregano.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree