1. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    22 Nov '16 14:21
    Originally posted by sh76
    I've read about the alternatives that are being proposed. Most will help people who make a solid income; i.e., the upper middle class. They are based on things like destructibility of premiums, HSA expansion and allowing inter-state competition (which will absolutely drive down premiums). These things will definitely help people like me; i.e., people who can af ...[text shortened]... ate competition and expand HSA access or make premiums deductible, that is what I would support.
    One thing I'd like to see is mandated public disclosure of the cost of various services and procedures. Go ask a mechanic how much it costs to have your transmission serviced and he can tell you. Go ask your Doctor how much it costs to have your appendix out and he has no idea. Consumers should be able to compare prices between medical service providers like they do hotels and airline tickets.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '16 14:40
    Originally posted by Kunsoo
    Yeah, but in the past they could always count on an Obama veto to save their asses from disaster. But now, all of the sudden they actually have to govern.
    The only disaster they would avoid is stopping public funds being funneled to insurance companies.
  3. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    22 Nov '16 15:571 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    A responsible political party would think like that; this Republican party doesn't. They've scheduled early votes in previous Congresses so new members could have the "honor" of voting for repeal. Odds are they will do so again as their base will insist on it.
    I'm still waiting for the GOP to tell us what they plan to replace the ACA with. What do they plan to tell those 25 million people covered by the ACA when they have no coverage anymore? Tough apples for you!? Go see your friendly insurance man? Pay or die? The GOP should already have a plan in place. (Too bad for those 25 million people they don't!)
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '16 16:02
    Originally posted by mchill
    I'm still waiting for the GOP to tell us what they plan to replace the ACA with. What do they plan to tell those 25 million people covered by the ACA when they have no coverage anymore? Tough apples for you!? Go see your friendly insurance man? Pay or die? The GOP should already have a plan in place. (Too bad for those 25 million people they don't!)
    They do what they've always done...

Go to the emergency room then never pay the bill.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Nov '16 19:35
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    One thing I'd like to see is mandated public disclosure of the cost of various services and procedures. Go ask a mechanic how much it costs to have your transmission serviced and he can tell you. Go ask your Doctor how much it costs to have your appendix out and he has no idea. Consumers should be able to compare prices between medical service providers like they do hotels and airline tickets.
    People with appendicitis are generally not in very good bargaining positions.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '16 19:42
    Originally posted by sh76
    People with appendicitis are generally not in very good bargaining positions.
    Which is why an emergency room is required to give service.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '16 19:52
    In any case, Trump has always said he wanted to replace obama care with Trump care.
  8. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    22 Nov '16 19:55
    Originally posted by Eladar
    In any case, Trump has always said he wanted to replace obama care with Trump care.
    that's great. What does that mean?
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Nov '16 19:59
    One thing is no closed markets. All companies compete in every market. That's all he said other than his typical it will be great just wait and see it will be great.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    23 Nov '16 13:36
    I don't know, but I do know it's GREAT care! The BEST!
  11. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '16 05:52
    The only disaster they would avoid is stopping public funds being funneled to insurance companies.
    That would suit me fine, but that's what the Hoover Institute originally proposed. Single payer all the way.
  12. Joined
    03 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 Nov '16 05:53
    One thing is no closed markets. All companies compete in every market. That's all he said other than his typical it will be great just wait and see it will be great.
    All companies have competed before. It's always sucked for consumers because the medical industry, including the insurance companies, thrive on inaccessibility for most people.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Nov '16 12:56
    All companies have competed before. It's always sucked for consumers because the medical industry, including the insurance companies, thrive on inaccessibility for most people.
    Somehow people survived.

Isn't it anazing how the citizens of the US have survived so well without the nanny state?

Really all the efforts of the establishment types to create dependent people has had such little impact.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '16 14:37
    I'm beginning to have my doubts. I'm thinking that what they'll do is throw in some tweaks and say that it's too late to repeal it entirely and then try to blame the Democrats for not working with them earlier. But considering that not one Republican offered an amendment which could earn their vote, it could be a tough sell except to the lowest of informati ...[text shortened]... tp://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/i-got-to-see-replace-dems-bait-gop-to-unveil-and-ocare-replacement
    I think Trump will further the cause of a single payer system, especially since everyone hates the ACA and there is no conservative in sight to challenge the establishment.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '16 14:382 edits
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    Operating on someone is different than working on a car. With a car, if they run into complications they stop work and give you an updated estimate and ask you if you want to proceed. When you are under the knife, however, there is no stop button and you cannot predict for sure how the patient will respond.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree