1. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    01 Dec '16 21:43
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Of course, reduce the corporate tax so that revenue must be picked up by those "little people" who get to keep their jobs. Genius.

And oh, so "American".

Forget "E Pluribus Unum". How about making it "Screw the Little Guy"?
    There is a trade off: lower taxes or understand that some businesses will leave and go to places where conditions are suitable. I think the sensible solution is to make US rates competitive with the world market. If you personally want to keep business taxes rates high, that's fine just accept that some should and will leave.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Dec '16 22:13
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    So how many public servants is Trump going to lay off to fund these subsidies?
    Not to worry. There will be plenty of job openings building the wall.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Dec '16 23:59
    Heard about this today. Evidently during the presidential campaign Obama said Trump could not save the Carrier jobs

http://www.westernjournalism.com/during-june-town-hall-obama-said-trump-could-do-nothing-to-retain-carrier-jobs/
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 02:11
    As usual, Bernie got it right:

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) on Thursday blasted Donald Trump's reported deal to keep 1,000 Carrier jobs in Indiana, warning that the agreement could set a bad precedent for companies looking for tax breaks.

"Trump has endangered the jobs of workers who were previously safe in the United States. Why? Because he has signaled to every corporation in America that they can threaten to offshore jobs in exchange for business-friendly tax benefits and incentives," Sanders wrote in a Washington Post op-ed published Thursday morning. "Even corporations that weren’t thinking of offshoring jobs will most probably be re-evaluating their stance this morning. And who would pay for the high cost for tax cuts that go to the richest businessmen in America? The working class of America."

Trump and Carrier Corp. said this week that they will announce a deal on Thursday to keep 1,000 Carrier jobs in Indiana after the company announced it would be moving a plant to Mexico. In exchange for keeping some jobs in Indiana, Carrier will get a tax incentive package from the state. Trump and Pence also pledged to reduce federal regulations and make changes in the tax code during the negotiations, according to the New York Times.

Carrier's parent company, United Technologies, is a big federal defense contractor and likely had a big incentive to keep jobs in the U.S. and curry favor with the incoming administration.

Former Indiana Lt. Gov. John Mutz, the chair of the Indiana Economic Development Corp., told the Indiana Business Journal on Wednesday that he believes that United Technologies' federal contracts created an incentive for the company to strike the deal.

“United Technologies is a gigantic international company with many different divisions and subsidiaries, many of which do substantial amounts of business with the U.S. government,” Mutz said. “The dynamics are considerably different than they were even before the election. You’re talking here about a company that is trying to be competitive and also wants to keep their business with the government.”

Sanders noted United Technologies federal contracts in his op-ed.

"Does that sound like a company that deserves more corporate welfare from our government? Trump’s Band-Aid solution is only making the problem of wealth inequality in America even worse," he wrote.

The senator wrote that United Technologies "took Trump hostage and won" and that this deal "should send a shock wave of fear through all workers across the country."

"In exchange for allowing United Technologies to continue to offshore more than 1,000 jobs, Trump will reportedly give the company tax and regulatory favors that the corporation has sought. Just a short few months ago, Trump was pledging to force United Technologies to 'pay a damn tax.' He was insisting on very steep tariffs for companies like Carrier that left the United States and wanted to sell their foreign-made products back in the United States," Sanders wrote.

"Instead of a damn tax, the company will be rewarded with a damn tax cut," he continued. "Wow! How’s that for standing up to corporate greed? How’s that for punishing corporations that shut down in the United States and move abroad?"

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/sanders-carrier-deal-trump
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 02:51
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    As usual, Bernie got it right:

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) on Thursday blasted Donald Trump's reported deal to keep 1,000 Carrier jobs in Indiana, warning that the agreement could set a bad precedent for companies looking for tax breaks.

"Trump has endangered the jobs of workers who were previously safe in the United States. Why? Because he has sign ...[text shortened]... ted States and move abroad?"

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/sanders-carrier-deal-trump
    He's right. I take back what I said about Trump maybe doing some good. He's just a corporate shill.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 03:09
    Oklahoma has been pulling tjis crap for years.

Okc thunder gets tax payer money to help pay their players

Even when oil was over a hundred bucks a barrel oklahoma oil companies got a 70 percent kick back on oil production tax.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 03:10
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Oklahoma has been pulling tjis crap for years.

Okc thunder gets tax payer money to help pay their players

Even when oil was over a hundred bucks a barrel oklahoma oil companies got a 70 percent kick back on oil production tax.
    Even so it is funny seeing Trump doing what Obama said was impossible.
  8. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 03:57
    Anything's possible if the price is right.
  9. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 04:17

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 07:171 edit
    Originally posted by vivify
    He's right. I take back what I said about Trump maybe doing some good. He's just a corporate shill.
    Even that doesn't adequately describe what's going on.

I prefer the term 'puppet'.

I keep wondering when middle America is going to wake up and decide that they've just unleashed the Beast.

The big problem is that Mike Pence is even worse.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 07:23
    Obviously, you don't understand why he said it was 'impossible'.

I would've used the word 'inconceivable' instead.

Reagan only 'almost' destroyed this country, in terms of opening doors that we can't close now. Nice to see that Trump is going to finish the job.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 07:39
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I don't think this is a success or failure, it is merely a highlight of the issue. If the United States continues to have higher tax costs, business are going to be inclined at times to do business where it is cheaper. If the US want to keep those business it may have to reduce costs -- tax breaks or other offsetting benefits. Whether or not it is a g ...[text shortened]... but it seems more efficient and fair to lower tax burdens than individually negotiate each case.
    When are you idiots going to figure out that even if corporations were made to pay triple what they pay now in tax, they would still make billions in profit?

The only reason corporations move out of the country is so that they can take advantage of worse economies so that they can make even more billions off the backs of some of the poorest people in the world.

Corporate greed, plain and simple.

Corporations can already make billions in the US because of their pals in the Republican party who would rather sacrifice the general welfare of Americans in order to subsidize billionaires. This country should be a utopia, considering the sheer amount of wealth bouncing around. But we don't have flying cars or a cure for cancer because the top 0.01% would rather pocket the money instead of investing in America.

Until we start charging these predators to bring their products back into this country, the abyss will only grow wider.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 10:56
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Anything's possible if the price is right.
    Obama was too stupid to figure this out.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 10:59
    Obviously, you don't understand why he said it was 'impossible'.

I would've used the word 'inconceivable' instead.

Reagan only 'almost' destroyed this country, in terms of opening doors that we can't close now. Nice to see that Trump is going to finish the job.
    Apologist for the idiot liar in chief. Yeah I don't understand what he meant because what he meant wasn't what he said.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Dec '16 12:271 edit
    When are you idiots going to figure out that even if corporations were made to pay triple what they pay now in tax, they would still make billions in profit?

The [b]only
    reason corporations move out of the country is so that they can take advantage of worse economies so that they can make even more billions off the backs of some of the poorest ...[text shortened]... these predators to bring their products back into this country, the abyss will only grow wider.[/b]
    I think a better policy might be if the President was to name and shame businesses which leave the US. He could keep a permanent list and mark such companies as unpatriotic. The consumer would be coerced to ethically boycott such companies and they may think twice. Then again all the snowflakes dont care that their iphones are made in China anyway.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree