1. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    03 Feb '24 15:44
    It would seem strange that while teaching in the Temple, Jesus tells his own people that they do not know the Father. Jesus asserts that only he knows the Father, God.

Could anyone personally explain the meaning behind this statement? I mean other than what is typically given by the experts.

The phrase "whom you do not know" is indeed intriguing. However, it should not be removed from its context. To truly understand Jesus' true Father, many passages must be considered collectively. Nevertheless, Jesus frequently uses the terms 'true' and 'verily,' often doubling them as 'truly, truly' and 'verily, verily,' especially at the beginning of his speeches. So, in essence, like a 'true' philosopher he's one who continually seeks truth, and questions assumptions. Therefore, in the role of 'the Son of Man,' he explores and elucidates the nature of reality and true existence.

What is out there on "whom you do not know" is something of this nature.

1. Some theologians suggest that Jesus is referring to the Father's nature or essence, which is beyond human comprehension. This would imply that while Jesus knows the Father, the Jews do not truly understand or know the Father in the same way that Jesus does.

2. Another interpretation is that Jesus is calling the Jews to recognize the truth of who sent him. By saying "He who sent Me is true," Jesus is pointing to the Father, whose identity is true and reliable. This prompts the Jews to reflect on their understanding of God and their beliefs about who sent Jesus.

John 7:25-29 At that point some of the people of Jerusalem began to ask, “Isn’t this the man they are trying to kill? Here he is, speaking publicly, and they are not saying a word to him. Have the authorities really concluded that he is the Messiah? But we know where this man is from; when the Messiah comes, no one will know where he is from.”

Then Jesus, still teaching in the temple courts, cried out, “Yes, you know me, and you know where I am from. I am not here on my own authority, but he who sent me is true. You do not know him, but I know him because I am from him and he sent me.”
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '24 15:57
    @pettytalk said
    It would seem strange that while teaching in the Temple, Jesus tells his own people that they do not know the Father. Jesus asserts that only he knows the Father, God.

Could anyone personally explain the meaning behind this statement? I mean other than what is typically given by the experts.

The phrase "whom you do not know" is indeed intriguing. However, it should n ...[text shortened]... t he who sent me is true. You do not know him, but I know him because I am from him and he sent me.”
    Jesus said “no one comes to the father except by me”. So it’s follows that he would also say to those whom had not come through him that they don’t know the father.

Not sure why you find this perplexing.
  3. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    03 Feb '24 16:10
    A soothing melody to set the stage. Abba, an ancient Aramaic term, whispers "Father," a word steeped in affection, confidence, and unwavering trust. It encapsulates the profound bond between a father and his offspring, mirroring the innocent faith of a child in his "daddy."

Scripture consistently pairs Abba with the word Father. In the hallowed halls of Gethsemane, Jesus's fervent prayer echoes with the tender duo, "Abba, Father," a testament to the deepest intimacy of their relationship.

John 14:7 If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

John 14:2-4 My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.”

A Scandinavian delight. Knowing Me, Knowing You.

YouTube
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Feb '24 16:25
    @pettytalk said
    A soothing melody to set the stage. Abba, an ancient Aramaic term, whispers "Father," a word steeped in affection, confidence, and unwavering trust. It encapsulates the profound bond between a father and his offspring, mirroring the innocent faith of a child in his "daddy."

A Scandinavian delight. Knowing Me, Knowing You.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUrzicaiRLU
    Yes that’s a really nice song.

Here’s something to compliment it; Let It Be by the Beatles.
    Although often associated with Mary the birth mother of Jesus, McCartney has revealed that it was inspired by his own mother who died when he was 14 years old.

YouTube
  5. Joined
    21 Nov '08
    Moves
    06 Feb '24 20:04
    Parallels the words of John the baptizer to the chief Levites and followers, a close but no cigar kind of prophecy, of He whom saves,

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree