1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 23:483 edits
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    I still don't get your point. Can you just plainly spell it out?

Seems like maybe you don't understand the point of what was being said in the quoted text in that post, but I'm still not sure.
    3) Do not worship false gods.

7) Set up courts and bring offenders to justice.

To a follower of these laws, being monotheistic means that any god that differs in some significant way from the God of the Torah is a false god and the offending worshiper of that God is to be brought to justice. How can you conclude that the Torah is for all humanity?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 01:264 edits
    Originally posted by JS357

Um, in the case of the laws of Moses the priests and judges atone for guilty sinners too? Remember the trespass offering, the sin offering, the peace offering. Remember the propitiatory sacrifices to make expiation for sins.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 02:479 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    3) Do not worship false gods.

To a follower of these laws, being monotheistic means that any god that differs in some significant way from the God of the Torah is a false god and the offending worshiper of that God is to be brought to justice. How can you conclude that the Torah is for all humanity?
    You seem to have not understood what the author was saying.

Presumably "no conversion necessary" was to be understood within the context of " in order to make a relationship with God, participate in the Torah's vision of repairing the world, and 'get to heaven.'" and "...the Jewish idea is that the Torah of Moses is a truth for all humanity, whether Jewish or not. The Torah...presents seven mitzvot for non-Jews to observe. These seven laws are the pillars of human civilization, and are named the 'Seven Laws of Noah,' since all humans are descended from Noah."

Keep the above in mind and reread the following:
    "Maimonides explains that any human being who faithfully observes these laws earns a proper place in heaven. So you see, the Torah is for all humanity, no conversion necessary."

Plus it seems that you've read too much into #7. Presumably the "Seven Laws of Noah" are also to be understood within the same context and would not necessarily be a part of the laws of the judicial system referred to in #7.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Jan '17 15:464 edits
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jan '17 16:011 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    Hows that for being of few words ?

So the hefty topic of Judaism has been concluded. Not.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree