1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '16 19:27
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So you have no belief on the matter? Not long ago, you were saying that my belief system was useless because it didn't include the exact details of what happened 13 billion years ago, yet you don't even know what happened last Tuesday?
    I said you believe it is true based on faith because you did mot see it directly nor can you reproduce it.

Traditional libtard belief that his crap doesn't stink.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Dec '16 19:52
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I said you believe it is true based on faith because you did mot see it directly nor can you reproduce it.
    And you are wrong. One does not require the ability to see something directly or reproduce it. Is your belief that Pluto exists based on faith? If you saw it through a telescope would it no-longer be faith? And how would you reproduce Pluto?

Traditional libtard belief that his crap doesn't stink.
    Traditional conservative total lack of logic or ability to think.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Dec '16 22:00
    And you are wrong. One does not require the ability to see something directly or reproduce it. Is your belief that Pluto exists based on faith? If you saw it through a telescope would it no-longer be faith? And how would you reproduce Pluto?

[b]Traditional libtard belief that his crap doesn't stink.

Traditional conservative total lack of logic or ability to think.[/b]
    Ability to think means assume Libtard beliefs are automatically true. Circular reasoning doesn't apply to libtard assumptions because all libtards know they believe the truth not assumptions.
  4. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    11 Dec '16 00:211 edit
    Distorting names for insult is sophomoric. I've learned that the people who distort names are almost never worth listening to. That's in my top ten list of insights about discussion.
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 08:22
    Ability to think means assume Libtard beliefs are automatically true. Circular reasoning doesn't apply to libtard assumptions because all libtards know they believe the truth not assumptions.
    Excessive sarcasm means someone has lost the argument but doesn't want to admit it.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 14:08
    So only non-'libtards', I guess that eliminated democrats, so only independents like the tea party and Republicans can be scientists.

Good to know. I will now only put my money into non democrat fund raisers.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 14:41
    I found this guy experimenting with gyroscopes and claims he saw no movement of it like it was reported 160 years ago.

YouTube
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 17:14
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I found this guy experimenting with gyroscopes and claims he saw no movement of it like it was reported 160 years ago.

[youtube]deoLBQTtXJw[/youtube]
    I am fairly sure it matters what direction the gyroscope is pointing in. At the equator, a gyroscope pointing north-south will not move at all, whereas one pointing east west will. I expect that anywhere else how much it moves will depend on its starting position.

The expected rotation during the time he gave it was a mere 1.2 degrees. Why did he stop it before it stopped spinning?

Also, I would have liked to have seen him tilt the table slightly in the exact same setup to prove that doing so would move the gyroscope ie there isn't too much friction etc.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 17:23
    So only non-'libtards', I guess that eliminated democrats, so only independents like the tea party and Republicans can be scientists.

Good to know. I will now only put my money into non democrat fund raisers.
    No, by his definition of thinking only libtards and those who hold to their assumptions can think.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 18:17
    I am fairly sure it matters what direction the gyroscope is pointing in. At the equator, a gyroscope pointing north-south will not move at all, whereas one pointing east west will. I expect that anywhere else how much it moves will depend on its starting position.

The expected rotation during the time he gave it was a mere 1.2 degrees. Why did he stop ...[text shortened]... same setup to prove that doing so would move the gyroscope ie there isn't too much friction etc.
    I was trying to see what was wrong with his setup. Like you say, if the spindle was aimed north/south there wouldn't be much movement. That may be the answer. I think he came into it with an agenda, trying to prove a non-spinning Earth. But then he would have to explain the Foucault pendulum bit. He probably knew how he could jigger the test.
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 18:58
    I was trying to see what was wrong with his setup. Like you say, if the spindle was aimed north/south there wouldn't be much movement. That may be the answer. I think he came into it with an agenda, trying to prove a non-spinning Earth. But then he would have to explain the Foucault pendulum bit. He probably knew how he could jigger the test.
    The precision of the protractor he had at the base was not up to the precision of the measurement he was attempting. He stopped the experiment too soon and there was no way of seeing which direction the equipment was set up in. He hasn't demonstrated anything regarding the original experiment.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 19:421 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The precision of the protractor he had at the base was not up to the precision of the measurement he was attempting. He stopped the experiment too soon and there was no way of seeing which direction the equipment was set up in. He hasn't demonstrated anything regarding the original experiment.
    Yeah, I was thinking about wireless gyroscopes, visualized one with solar cells around a motor, powered that way by a strong enough light and there would also not be the wires the guy was showing powering his rotor. I thought the wires could upset the motion maybe if they were dragging on the motor, changing precession or something. I think it's a cool idea to have it powered by solar cells so there is nothing touching the motor so the whole system would only be effected by the rotation of Earth and you could power it for a month if you wanted. I think he said the batteries lasted about 4 hours and that should show a change of 60 degrees and 6 hours, 90 degrees. I wonder if he deliberately put the shaft aiming true north so his conjecture would be supported.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 21:47
    Yeah, I was thinking about wireless gyroscopes, visualized one with solar cells around a motor, powered that way by a strong enough light and there would also not be the wires the guy was showing powering his rotor. I thought the wires could upset the motion maybe if they were dragging on the motor, changing precession or something. I think it's a cool ide ...[text shortened]... wonder if he deliberately put the shaft aiming true north so his conjecture would be supported.
    I had a thought (it happens from time to time🙂 you remember the part of the vid where the motor was hooked up powering up the rotor and so forth? Would the addition of the spinning mass of the rotor in the motor itself effect the precession rates? I know he said he balanced the whole affair and it LOOKED balanced but would that out of shaft spinning motor effect things? maybe it would need a motor running on both ends of the shaft? It seems it would be more balanced that way with similar masses spinning on both ends of the gyro shaft.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Dec '16 22:151 edit
    Yeah, I was thinking about wireless gyroscopes, visualized one with solar cells around a motor, powered that way by a strong enough light and there would also not be the wires the guy was showing powering his rotor. I thought the wires could upset the motion maybe if they were dragging on the motor, changing precession or something. I think it's a cool ide ...[text shortened]... wonder if he deliberately put the shaft aiming true north so his conjecture would be supported.
    The moment you introduce a motor, you have magnetic fields interacting with earths magnetic field interfering with the whole experiment.
  15. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    15 Dec '16 11:13
    I thought he could add a spike where he put on the playdough. Then shine a light from behind it and mark the point of the shadow, assuming it's about half a metre away from the gyro then the distance the point of the shadow will move is of the order of 10 mm and easy to detect. Measuring the distance the point of the shadow moves and doing a little trigonometry will be a lot more precise than his protractor set up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree