1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    07 Oct '14 19:302 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    did you see Legrave v Carslen, man talk about mixing it up in the opening

[pgn]1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 ed4 4. Nd4 Bc5 5. Nb3 Bb6 6. Nc3 Nf6 7. Qe2 a5 {black says come and get me} 8. e5 O-O 9. ef6 a4 10. Nd5 Re8 11. Be3 ab3 12. Qg4 g6 13. Bc4 Nb4 14. Nb4 d5 15. Qf4 dc4 16. O-O bc2 17. Nd5 Re6 18. Qc4 Be3 19. fe3 b5 20. Qc5 Bb7 21. Ne7 Kh8 22. Qc2 ...[text shortened]... 31. Qg7 Rg6 32. Qe5 f5 33. h4 Kh5 34. Qf5 Kh6 35. Qf8 Kh5 36. Qf5 Kh6 37. Qf8 Kh5 38. Qf5[/pgn]
    Yeh i played through all the games from Saint Louise, what a great tournament! I really like MLV, he's such a fantastic player. To me he is the kind of player that Mamedyarov (M*) should aspire to be. M* has incredible tactical ability but he plays Classical chess like he's playing blitz. His style is great to watch, I really appreciate his flare and enjoy his games but he seems to lack the ability to turn down a tactic. This whole ..g5 idea that appears in both the games above. The threat of ..g5 is stronger than the execution (imo). Why not just develop? What is so terrible about putting the King safe? Tal was a whizz bang amazing sacrifice player, but he could Castle. If Mamedyarov can calculate a sharp variation, he can calculate a quiet one too. If he's is going to mix it with Carlsen/Caruana then he needs to become more Universal. Caruana didn't even have to try to force a weakness in his position, he knew M* would jump at the first opportunity to do it himself...
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Oct '14 20:521 edit
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    Yeh i played through all the games from Saint Louise, what a great tournament! I really like MLV, he's such a fantastic player. To me he is the kind of player that Mamedyarov (M*) should aspire to be. M* has incredible tactical ability but he plays Classical chess like he's playing blitz. His style is great to watch, I really appreciate his flare and enj ...[text shortened]... e a weakness in his position, he knew M* would jump at the first opportunity to do it himself...
    do you think this is why Nakamura can have a tough time against these guys, he is too blitzy, like M*
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    10 Oct '14 11:25

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    10 Oct '14 11:25
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    do you think this is why Nakamura can have a tough time against these guys, he is too blitzy, like M*
    I'm not sure about him. I think his problems are more emotional/psychological. It's clear that on his day he can beat anyone (i include Carlsen here, though clearly he has some sort of psychological voodoo thing going on atm). He changed his style quite considerably to try and adapt, with some success. I think he needs to get himself a trainer that understands him. Look at Andy Murray in tennis. He was ever the nearly man for years. As soon as he got together with lendle he found that extra killer punch that was missing. His performance dipped at the crucial moments and Lendle managed to get him through that somehow. Nakamura is the same sort of player imo. If you look at when he won the Tal memorial a few years ago, that was when he was collaborating with Kasparov. I don't want to hand the credit for that win the Kaspa, but i don't think it is a complete coincidence either. Nakamura has a high opinion of himself. If he could get a trainer/coach who doesn't tolerate that nonsense (as i'm sure Kasparov didn't) then he might find that extra killer punch that he is missing. Caruana has a great trainer, as is often reported. It is a rare talent that scales the heights without a good team behind them..
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 14:001 edit
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I'm not sure about him. I think his problems are more emotional/psychological. It's clear that on his day he can beat anyone (i include Carlsen here, though clearly he has some sort of psychological voodoo thing going on atm). He changed his style quite considerably to try and adapt, with some success. I think he needs to get himself a trainer that under ...[text shortened]... is often reported. It is a rare talent that scales the heights without a good team behind them..
    Then there was Bobby and Capa🙂
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    14 Oct '14 15:09
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Then there was Bobby and Capa🙂
    Yes they were exceptional. I see Nakamura as a 'Jimmy Connors' sort of player. Big guns going forward, but perhaps not the most dextrous player. Nak could be top in my opinion, but he needs someone to drive him on to find that extra 2 or 3% that would make the difference.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree