1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 15:431 edit
    Originally posted by Torunn
    I'm still trying to understand the one I bought 5-6 years ago. I hope it will last a long time... 🙂
    Torunn,

People claim a computer is out of date every 6 months. I had mine built so all I have to do is replace the part.

Sounds like your still trying to figure out how yours works. You could always take lessons!

-VR
  2. Gothenburg
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 18:01
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Torunn,

People claim a computer is out of date every 6 months. I had mine built so all I have to do is replace the part.

Sounds like your still trying to figure out how yours works. You could always take lessons!

-VR
    Thank you, I get by with the help of friends and some basics that I have managed to learn.
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 18:02
    Originally posted by Kewpie
    Stick at it, you'll get there - around the time it gives up working altogether.
    I fear that is true 🙂 I will have to start all over again.
  4. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 18:09
    I fear that is true 🙂 I will have to start all over again.
    A "challenge" stuck in our way is something that stimulates the thinking/deducing process.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 18:16
    Originally posted by Great Big Stees
    A "challenge" stuck in our way is something that stimulates the thinking/deducing process.
    I know, that's how it should be and maybe I can surprise myself. 🙂
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 18:33
    I know, that's how it should be and maybe I can surprise myself. 🙂
    When I get stuck, on something, I put it aside for a while and then go back and that usually is all it takes to figure it out.
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 18:391 edit
    When I get stuck, on something, I put it aside for a while and then go back and that usually is all it takes to figure it out.
    Like sleeping on it...? I can never figure out how to solve technical problems - I need help and simple instructions to follow. Other difficulties, as you say, I leave for a while and hope time will lead the way.
  8. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    16 Jan '17 19:04
    Thank you, I get by with the help of friends and some basics that I have managed to learn.
    You are Welcome. What would we do without friends. I didn't build the computer myself. 😉

-VR
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 02:34
    You are Welcome. What would we do without friends. I didn't build the computer myself. 😉

-VR
    I get stuck just trying to imagine building a computer.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Jan '17 13:192 edits
    I get stuck just trying to imagine building a computer.
    GBS,

I know exactly what you mean. I saw all the pieces & wires on the floor all laid out over at his place. I said just the wiring alone is a puzzle, never mind the rest of the parts. He never took a course just picked it up. Use to work at a place on used computers, where he learned a lot of stuff. I said how do you know if you have all the wires correct. "He said", if I turn it on and it doesn't work. I know I got something hooked up wrong!!!

Unfortunately he passed away in 2015. He was few years younger than me. We became good friends in 1993. He was also a really good chess player. Hated both my openings...LOL.. Especially the Pirc Defense. He tried his best to help me. I met him at the chess club shortly after I quit drinking.
  11. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    18 Jan '17 18:06
    GBS,

I know exactly what you mean. I saw all the pieces & wires on the floor all laid out over at his place. I said just the wiring alone is a puzzle, never mind the rest of the parts. He never took a course just picked it up. Use to work at a place on used computers, where he learned a lot of stuff. I said how do you know if you have all the wires cor ...[text shortened]... efense. He tried his best to help me. I met him at the chess club shortly after I quit drinking.
    Often, if you stick with something long enough, a light goes on.
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    18 Jan '17 20:33
    Often, if you stick with something long enough, a light goes on.
    GBS,

LOL.... I am still waiting for that light to come on. 😉

-VR
  13. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '17 21:29
    oh, the light of day is dawning on another STG
  14. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    21 Jan '17 15:33
    Originally posted by coquette
    oh, the light of day is dawning on another STG
    I note, with some chagrin, that the dawn didn't stick around for long.
  15. Subscriberabalone
    Good in soups
    In the can! Dummy!
    Moves
    23 Jan '17 01:30
    wotcher!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree