1. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 19:59
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Happiness can be found in surprising places. - So in that context, 'the secret for happiness' is a valid statement that one person (drawing on experience) may share with another.

Mr X had always linked happiness with money, but despite being very rich, still wasn't happy.
    Mr Y told him, "the secret for being happy is eating ice cream in the bath, or inviting you n ...[text shortened]... en is, abides in the most unlikely of places, although often in the company of people we care about.
    I found happiness by inviting my neighbour over for a bath.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 20:37
    @the-gravedigger said
    Yes, we've all done that.
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    01 Mar '24 20:46
    @the-gravedigger said
    Is your neighbor male or female? 🙂 Doesn't matter to me.

-VR
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Mar '24 15:11
    @vivify said
    I've known people who don't like water such as my sister-in-law (more than one of them) and others. It's apparently quite common.

This one guy I knew said he didn't like water because it was "too bland".

Millions of years of evolution where survival absolutely depended on drinking water and in this day and age of sugary drinks there actually people who don't like it ...[text shortened]... nd of mind-boggling. A cold glass of water can sometimes be the single best tasting drink on earth.
    Actually it is not so long that it was dangerous to drink water. Cooking it was already diminishing the risk however.

In mediveal times people would rather drink something like thin beer or wine to be on the save side.

Water direct from wells should be well.

But today humankind managed to contaminate a lot of water reservoirs (not that soft-drinks are better)
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Mar '24 16:25
    @ponderable said
    Actually it is not so long that it was dangerous to drink water. Cooking it was already diminishing the risk however.

In mediveal times people would rather drink something like thin beer or wine to be on the save side.

But today humankind managed to contaminate a lot of water reservoirs (not that soft-drinks are better)
    when I was a young sprogglet camping for a fortnight in the dales we all drank from a brook that came from a spring 3/4 the way up the fell it was brownish having passed through iron ore.it finaly became a river that flowed down and joined the Esk emptying into the north sea at whitby
    we all died of iron overdose (boy were we constipated)
  6. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    19 Mar '24 17:17
    @david-burton said
    when I was a young sprogglet camping for a fortnight in the dales we all drank from a brook that came from a spring 3/4 the way up the fell it was brownish having passed through iron ore.it finaly became a river that flowed down and joined the Esk emptying into the north sea at whitby
    we all died of iron overdose (boy were we constipated)
    Nobody claimed that you dies imidiately when drinking natural water. But I think it is undebated that water served as a means to distribute pathogens.
  7. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    20 Mar '24 05:23
    @ponderable said

I first tasted well water in Poland back in 1967 in my aunt’s village. It tasted horribly metallic though was tolerable in strong tea.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Mar '24 10:12
    @ponderable said
    Nobody claimed that you dies imidiately when drinking natural water. But I think it is undebated that water served as a means to distribute pathogens.
    I was joking.
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    20 Mar '24 12:41
    @drewnogal said
    I first tasted well water in Poland back in 1967 in my aunt’s village. It tasted horribly metallic though was tolerable in strong tea.
    The mother of my children and I were backpacking in Northern Ontario years ago when we discovered that our water supply had run out. We continued on, searching for a water source. We were getting very thirsty and decided to “drink” some maple syrup we had in our kit. BIG mistake…just made us thirstier. Eventually we were able to find a source of water that we were able to make potable with some powder substance we had brought, for just this purpose, that made questionable water drinkable.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Mar '24 14:06
    @Great-Big-Stees I got called in to the docs yesterday for yet another blood test,my electrolites are low (I think) the nurse suggested that I cut down on the 3 ltrs of water I drink most days,hoping thats all it is.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree