1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Mar '24 12:102 edits
    I took an online test this morning and apparently I have “significant risk”. It think it may be overplaying my early years when I found spelling and reading difficult and which I’ve largely overcome or circumvented in later life.

In retrospect and to my own credit I suppose, I achieved A* grade in A level English as a mature student and found it relatively easy. I was even offered a place at Oxford doing English if i had wanted it, but the thought of it scared me and I couldn’t see a desired vocation coming from it. Also in the A level essays I frequently reconstructed sentences to avoid words I wasn’t sure how to spell to avoid minus marks. Not as easy as it sounds under pressure in an English exam.

However, even now I struggle to find the motivation to read novels as it’s too much like hard work and I still get bored easily. At primary school my teacher told my parents she thought I was “retarded” (yeah eat your heart out) not because of work results but because I was so badly behaved and disruptive in class. Apparently in one lesson I stood on my chair and put my fingers in my ears when the teacher was talking. I still instinctively get left and right wrong 90% of the time. When driving the car my wife has to give me hand signals for direction or I go the wrong way.

https://dyslexiastg.wpengine.com/

Any stories from yourselves on this sort of thing?

Edit; my usual edits for misspells and word displacements.
  2. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    02 Mar '24 12:34
    @divegeester said
    I took an online test this morning and apparently I have “significant risk”. It think it may be overplaying my early years when I found spelling and reading difficult and which I’ve largely overcome or circumvented in later life.

In retrospect and to my own credit I suppose, I achieved A* grade in A level English as a mature student and found it relatively easy. I was ...[text shortened]... from yourselves on this sort of thing?

Edit; my usual edits for misspells and word displacements.
    Does this have anything to do with Rusty's latest assessment of your language comprehension ineptitude?

And why do you need to edit your posts due to misspelling, when the system here has auto spelling check? Most likely, you need to edit because you are using wrong and inappropriate words, which indicates you do not comprehend the meaning. For example, you do not understand the term 'etiquette'.
  3. SubscriberKewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    02 Mar '24 12:50
    @pettytalk said
    Does this have anything to do with Rusty's latest assessment of your language comprehension ineptitude?

And why do you need to edit your posts due to misspelling, when the system here has auto spelling check? Most likely, you need to edit because you are using wrong and inappropriate words, which indicates you do not comprehend the meaning. For example, you do not understand the term 'etiquette'.
    "When the system here has auto spelling check"

Whatever gave you that idea? I see an abysmal level of spelling errors every day on this forum.
  4. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    02 Mar '24 13:04
    @kewpie said
    "When the system here has auto spelling check"

Whatever gave you that idea? I see an abysmal level of spelling errors every day on this forum.
    That's because they are neglecting to note the red underline. It's an auto spelling checker, and not an auto correcting function. The correction is optional, which also comes in handy to those who also want to sidestep foul language detection.

By any chance, are you color blind in the red hue frequency? @#!%^&^....
  5. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '24 13:05
    Is it just me or are some of us giving out some pretty personal information?πŸ€”
  6. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    02 Mar '24 13:19
    @pettytalk said

I also get the red underline when I spell a word incorrectly. So I can back you up on that one.

-VR
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '24 13:24
    @very-rusty said
    I also get the red underline when I spell a word incorrectly. So I can back you up on that one.

-VR
    I notice that if I spell the word honour without the “u” a red line appears. Isn’t the server American (USA)?πŸ€”
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Mar '24 13:37
    @great-big-stees said
    Is it just me or are some of us giving out some pretty personal information?πŸ€”
    Interesting to see what people do with it don’t you think.
  9. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '24 13:39
    @divegeester said
    Interesting to see what people do with it don’t you think.
    I may be naive but I still hold out hope.πŸ€žπŸ‘
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Mar '24 13:42
    @great-big-stees said
    I may be naive but I still hold out hope.πŸ€žπŸ‘
    I think the topic is an interesting one which might affect a lot of people in various ways.
  11. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 Mar '24 13:46
    @pettytalk said
    That's because they are neglecting to note the red underline. It's an auto spelling checker, and not an auto correcting function. The correction is optional, which also comes in handy to those who also want to sidestep foul language detection.

By any chance, are you color blind in the red hue frequency? @#!%^&^....
    That has to be your browser, no spell check for me on Firefox, I think there is spell check in Chrome.
  12. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    02 Mar '24 13:47
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    Thanks Rusty. I'm certain Kewpie can back me up also, unless this person is a perfect speller 100% of the times he posts here. I imagine he was only trying to be humorous. I merely returned the compliment in code.

Since you know Dive more intimately than I do, since he's always at your heels a long time, do you rate him as material worthy of Oxford? Maybe as one of the plumbers there, since he likes water?
  13. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    02 Mar '24 13:48
    @divegeester said
    I think the topic is an interesting one which might affect a lot of people in various ways.
    It must be very frustrating to live with it, though you seem to have been able, with what seems to have been some serious determination and help, to be able to function quite well.πŸ‘
  14. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    02 Mar '24 13:52
    @pettytalk said
    Thanks Rusty. I'm certain Kewpie can back me up also, unless this person is a perfect speller 100% of the times he posts here. I imagine he was only trying to be humorous. I merely returned the compliment in code.

Since you know Dive more intimately than I do, since he's always at your heels a long time, do you rate him as material worthy of Oxford? Maybe as one of the plumbers there, since he likes water?
    I think dive is an erudite poster and I believe him about being offered a place at Oxford. A lot of people have been held back by dyslexia over the years.
  15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Mar '24 13:551 edit
    @divegeester

Dyslexia isn't an on-or-off thing, like diabetes. It is a psychologists' wastebasket description for a wide spectrum of character traits which have been commonly, and in my opinion wrongly, classified as 'deficits.' Similar to dyscalculia and autism, 'dyslexia' describes a bundle of abilities more or less strongly present in varying degrees in any given individual. There is strong empirical evidence that how people process information (note to KJ: that is a metaphor, not literally like how computers process information) is different in individuals and between males and females. Some people are primarily word-thinkers, whereas others are primarily image-thinkers; a very few are digit-thinkers (calculating prodigies) and some are melody thinkers (e.g., Mozart). There may be other types as well. Some people are very well spatially oriented and reliably find their way by dead-reckoning, whereas others rely on landmarks (I, however, am a navigational moron, but I recall telephone numbers of houses which no longer exist and license plates of cars which no longer exist and serial numbers of bicycles). More research needs to be done on how people think. Welcome to the human race: "You're all individuals, you have to sort it out for yourselves!" (Life of Brian).

PS In case anyone missed this over on the Jokes thread:

According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-10), there are five criteria for confirming a diagnosis of dyscalculia. I fulfil seven of them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree