1. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 16:56
    @torunn said
    Too much sweets isn't good either, too much of anything in fact isn't good but cigarettes being so addictive and harmful are difficult to compare with other things.
    I’m at the stage of trying to giving up anything that harms my health for the sake of preserving physical health as best I can into old age. I wish I’d started sooner but I didn’t imagine ever getting old when I was young. That came when I got to 50 and started seeing the health problems my older sisters were dealing with.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 17:21
    @drewnogal said
    I’m at the stage of trying to giving up anything that harms my health for the sake of preserving physical health as best I can into old age. I wish I’d started sooner but I didn’t imagine ever getting old when I was young. That came when I got to 50 and started seeing the health problems my older sisters were dealing with.
    Sounds like you should be happy about some more government control over peoples diets. Eg had the govt passed legislation 30 years ago to control smoking and consumption of sugars and carbs, heavily processed meats, you might have benefitted.
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 18:27
    @rajk999 said
    Sounds like you should be happy about some more government control over peoples diets. Eg had the govt passed legislation 30 years ago to control smoking and consumption of sugars and carbs, heavily processed meats, you might have benefitted.
    It's also about feeling content, if not happy, and not expecting too much. 🙂
  4. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 20:12
    Is it worth giving up the stuff you like so you can have an extra 2 years in the nursing home.
  5. Gothenburg
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 20:40
    @the-gravedigger said
    Is it worth giving up the stuff you like so you can have an extra 2 years in the nursing home.
    You might postpone your time in the nursing home if you live a life 'in moderation' (to quote Stees).
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 20:48
    @the-gravedigger said
    If those are the options then eat, drink and be merry. But I know quite a few over 75 people moving around like a 40s old, while some 50 yr olds are struggling with stage 4 cancer, in pain. living off meds and regretting all the stuff they did in their younger days. Doctors, hospitals and big drug companies love people who dont take care of their health.
  7. SubscriberThe Gravedigger
    Jack Torrance
    Overlook Hotel
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 21:00
    @torunn said
    You might postpone your time in the nursing home if you live a life 'in moderation' (to quote Stees).
    Yes, fair comment. I hope to bypass the nursing home and go straight from the bar to my grave.
  8. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    16 Apr '24 22:56
    @rajk999 said
    I’m lucky in that I’ve always enjoyed some sort of sports activity like horse riding, running, cycling, squash, badminton, and swimming. I now walk my dog miles each week, garden and do resistance training at home. I’m of the view that you use it or lose it and it has also kept my weight and blood pressure low.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Apr '24 02:51
    @drewnogal said
    It sounds good but do we really want a government controlling our day to day choices? What will be next? Enforced exercise?

https://healthmedia.blog.gov.uk/2024/04/15/creating-a-smokefree-generation-and-tackling-youth-vaping-what-you-need-to-know/
    I can go along with this. Lung cancer used to be the number one killer and I believe that it IS a function of government to protect us from ourselves. As always, you can choose to opt out, but that's on you.

My dad died of lung cancer way before his time.
  10. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    17 Apr '24 05:521 edit
    @suzianne said
    I can go along with this. Lung cancer used to be the number one killer and I believe that it IS a function of government to protect us from ourselves. As always, you can choose to opt out, but that's on you.

My dad died of lung cancer way before his time.
    That’s a good point. I smoked from 14 for 7 years in spite of the law saying I shouldn’t. I was never questioned about it by anyone but at least there was a deterrent which stopped the rest of the girls in my class getting hooked on it. I’d go without my school lunch to buy cigarettes, making it twice as unhealthy.

Fortunately my sons aren’t smokers. I’d have hated to have seen them start and if they were young now I’d certainly back this bill,
  11. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    17 Apr '24 08:03
    @Suzianne

I’m sorry to hear about your dad.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Apr '24 09:45
    @drewnogal said
    I’m lucky in that I’ve always enjoyed some sort of sports activity like horse riding, running, cycling, squash, badminton, and swimming. I now walk my dog miles each week, garden and do resistance training at home. I’m of the view that you use it or lose it and it has also kept my weight and blood pressure low.
    Well that is the right attitude to handle the senior years. Some brain activity is also critical to ward off dementia, Parkinson's and other brain disorders. There is new research suggesting that the brain does not need to deteriorate with age like the body does. Its interesting.
  13. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    17 Apr '24 12:24
    @rajk999 said
    Well that is the right attitude to handle the senior years. Some brain activity is also critical to ward off dementia, Parkinson's and other brain disorders. There is new research suggesting that the brain does not need to deteriorate with age like the body does. Its interesting.
    I read that having social contact with at least 5 different people each week during old age is important for brain stimulation to protect against dementia. I’m not sure whether a discussion on an internet forum counts as being as helpful as a regular chat with a local shop keeper mind?
  14. Gothenburg
    Moves
    17 Apr '24 13:04
    @drewnogal said
    I read that having social contact with at least 5 different people each week during old age is important for brain stimulation to protect against dementia. I’m not sure whether a discussion on an internet forum counts as being as helpful as a regular chat with a local shop keeper mind?
    I think it still makes a difference.
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    17 Apr '24 13:18
    @the-gravedigger said
    I would say it all depends on how important 2 extra years are to the individual. Quality of those years would be important to me.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree