1. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Feb '24 08:161 edit
    In the"Quotes you like" Thread 170521 Torunn posted this:

"When two people meet, each one is changed by the other so you've got two new people." ~ John Steinbeck

Is it really so?
  2. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    28 Feb '24 08:20
    In fact I think the quote hits on a truth, that we often ignore: We are constantly changing. But we ourselves think of ourselves as absolutely stable. We also change our history in our memeory to fit with our current state.

But if we think (and I do hope we do) we change our views (even if by minute quantities). If we talk we also do.

Some conversations will reinforce our thoughts and views and some will change considerably. But for most people there are few moments of sudden change (Damascus experiences) where the direction changes by a vast angle.
  3. Gothenburg
    Moves
    28 Feb '24 09:05
    @ponderable said
    In fact I think the quote hits on a truth, that we often ignore: We are constantly changing. But we ourselves think of ourselves as absolutely stable. We also change our history in our memeory to fit with our current state.

But if we think (and I do hope we do) we change our views (even if by minute quantities). If we talk we also do.

Some conversations will reinfor ...[text shortened]... are few moments of sudden change (Damascus experiences) where the direction changes by a vast angle.
    Without changing we would find it hard to take part in social life, and these aren't big changes but the small adaptations to make us fit in. And even more so in close relationships to make them work.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Feb '24 10:48
    @torunn said
    Without changing we would find it hard to take part in social life, and these aren't big changes but the small adaptations to make us fit in. And even more so in close relationships to make them work.
    Healthy humans are malleable by others they form relationships with, how much depends on the nature of the relationship.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '24 11:581 edit
    With respect to all posters; isn’t this kind of obvious; that we are changed by people we interact with on a relationship level?

I wonder if these changes are involuntary and what the dynamic may be between voluntary and involuntary changes in ourselves brought about by others.

Permenancy also is a question; people are often seen reverting to a previous type of themselves when coming out of a relationship.

Interesting stuff.
    Thanks Ponderable and Torunn
  6. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    28 Feb '24 12:14
    @divegeester said
    Permenancy also is a question; people are often seen reverting to a previous type of themselves when coming out of a relationship.
    And then there’s the baggage, the stuff we find hard to get rid of.
  7. Gothenburg
    Moves
    28 Feb '24 12:52
    @drewnogal said
    And then there’s the baggage, the stuff we find hard to get rid of.
    Not least the baggage, and our recollection of experiences which is hardly ever factual - they live in our minds perhaps totally different to how others remember them.
    We let go of friends or lose friends, we change.
  8. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    28 Feb '24 14:35
    the micro vibrations of the butterfly's wings
    way down there in the land of bikini wax
    changes the melt ratio of antarctica's glaciers
    but i blame it on the boeing max
  9. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    28 Feb '24 15:13

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

10. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    28 Feb '24 16:26
    @ponderable said
    In the"Quotes you like" Thread 170521 Torunn posted this:

"When two people meet, each one is changed by the other so you've got two new people." ~ John Steinbeck

Is it really so?
    In 'Of Mice and Men,' it is not so, and we have the twins as proof. This poses another identity question: Which of the two is Lennie?"

There is a nice song which came from the meeting of two minds, Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice, which expresses the sentiment of having been changed by a specific meeting. However, some will argue that only one person's identity was changed.

YouTube
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Feb '24 17:261 edit
    @divegeester said
    With respect to all posters; isn’t this kind of obvious; that we are changed by people we interact with on a relationship level?

I wonder if these changes are involuntary and what the dynamic may be between voluntary and involuntary changes in ourselves brought about by others.

Interesting stuff.
    Thanks Ponderable and Torunn
    Wow. You can't stand it, can you?
  12. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Feb '24 20:28
    @suzianne said
    I believe as long as he is getting ATTENTION he is happy, be it positive or negative.

-VR
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '24 20:39
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Channelling your inner Keven Eleven I see.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Feb '24 20:39
    @suzianne said
    Can’t stand what?
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    28 Feb '24 23:00
    @divegeester said
    Can’t stand what?
    It may be best to go to your Clan Leader and see if he will explain it to you, if he is even following the conversation. 🙂

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree