1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 13:44
    Very informal metric, I know, but illuminating nonetheless.

After noticing some of these groups on my Facebook feed (yes, I'm old, sue me), I did a little counting:

Facebook groups that are called some variation of "I love USA": 12 groups of at least 100,000 members, including 8 of 230k or more, 5 of 300k or more and 2 of 500k or more.

"I love Europe" One group over 100k: 192k members

"I love Canada" One group over 100k: 156k members

"I love Germany" One group over 100k: 186k members

I love England (or UK), Japan, France, Spain, Australia etc.: no groups of 100k

"I love China": Ha. Don't make me laugh. Maybe enough people for a tea party.

The post that showed up on my feed was "One day I will visit America 🤍" with a picture of the Sun setting behind the Statue of Liberty and American flags in the foreground. The post was by a person with an Arabic sounding name, and the comments on it were hundreds and hundreds of "Amen" variations.

Now, of course, I'm not saying that this is evidence of the greatness of the USA and I'm interested in getting into a debate about GDP per capita, Gini coefficients and mandated paid maternity leave. I get all of that.

What I'm asking is: Why?

Why do you think the United States, with all its warts and with all the hatred from people who think the USA encroaches on freedoms around the world, do soooo many people still consider it the shining city on the hill?

I have a theory, but I'll listen first.
  2. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 14:201 edit
    @sh76 said

After noticing some of these groups on my Facebook feed (yes, I'm old, sue me), I did a little counting:

Facebook groups that are called some variation of "I love USA": 12 groups of at least 100,000 members, including 8 of 230k or more, 5 of 300k or more and 2 of 500k or more.

"I love Europe" One group over 100 ...[text shortened]... ny people still consider it the shining city on the hill?

A wonderful report, thankyou.
    A follow-up would be who among all the braggart libs saying they will
    'leave if so-and-so is elected', such as that......have actually found a better country to live in....And, if they did, why do they still have USA passports?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 14:511 edit
    @AverageJoe1
    SO AND SO ELECTED? What will you do if your orange Jesus is elected and all of a sudden you find YOUR freedoms curtailed? 'well, we all have to sacrifice something to make America great again', right? BTW, we also know the fight for freedom in the US will not be over if Biden is reelected, there are dark forces who will replace the present orange Jesus with someone else just as bent on fukking our freedoms and the idea of the most votes win elections. But that is nowhere as important to you as aliens crossing into the US, rapists, body snatchers, terrorists coming in by the millions, MUCH more viscous a problem than merely losing our democracy.
  4. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 15:05
    @sonhouse said
    @AverageJoe1
    SO AND SO ELECTED? What will you do if your orange Jesus is elected and all of a sudden you find YOUR freedoms curtailed? 'well, we all have to sacrifice something to make America great again', right? BTW, we also know the fight for freedom in the US will not be over if Biden is reelected, there are dark forces who will replace the present orange Jesus with som ...[text shortened]... terrorists coming in by the millions, MUCH more viscous a problem than merely losing our democracy.
    Have you seen the clips of the Yeminites chanting Death to America, and some are already here?
    Since you mention Trump (what a surprise), woould you rather have sleepy Joe at the helm, or Donald Trump? (Hint, this answer requires two words)
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 15:451 edit
    @sh76 said

"I love Europe" One group over 100 ...[text shortened]... ny people still consider it the shining city on the hill?

I'm not sure whether it is significant that people do or don't love the United States but I think it is a lot like loving a celebrity. Celebrities and the United States may have personal problems and their life may not be in order but they shine at what they do and that appeals to people. The US is innovative and militarily powerful and is often are unafraid to be itself for better or worse.
    On a personal note I actually do like being in the United States. We have freedoms and a capitalistic structure, we have opportunities to work hard and be successful and for the most part people feel safe. Maybe some of those things appeal to people too.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 15:55
    @sh76 said

Well, there’s a nationalistic mentality (patriotism) which is rarely seen outside the US.

Nobody pledges alliegence to a flag, nobody says their country is the greatest on the planet, things like that are truly American.

Most Europeans have a healthy critical attitude about the country they’re from.
  7. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 18:11
    @shavixmir said
    Well, there’s a nationalistic mentality (patriotism) which is rarely seen outside the US.

Nobody pledges alliegence to a flag, nobody says their country is the greatest on the planet, things like that are truly American.

Most Europeans have a healthy critical attitude about the country they’re from.
    Possibly, but these people are mostly from outside the US.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 21:17
    @sh76

One reason:

A man with pecs and an idea can make it to the top of Mr. Universe, the top of Hollywood, become Governator of California, and get a Kennedy to marry him. Where else?
  9. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Mar '24 21:34
    @moonbus said
    @sh76

One reason:

A man with pecs and an idea can make it to the top of Mr. Universe, the top of Hollywood, become Governator of California, and get a Kennedy to marry him. Where else?
    I doubt most of these Gen Z people these days even know who the Governator is.
  10. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 05:52
    @sh76 said
    I thought that was the question.

Well, as an outsider, what’s to love about the US?
    The deserts. Absolutely stunning.
    I really liked LA. Driving around the Hollywood hills, down to Venice… great stuff.

Good music, good films and steak for breakfast.
    The vast majority of people I met there were very friendly, inquisitive and generous.

This forum does not represent the US in a very positive light.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 06:09
    @sh76 said
    I doubt most of these Gen Z people these days even know who the Governator is.
    Gen Z kids do know who Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg are -- geeks with an idea they bring to market and get rich doing it. America is still the land of opportunity, where dreams do sometimes come true.

I would only add that the rich are no happier than the poor, and that if either the rich or the poor knew that, society as we know it would collapse.
  12. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 10:15
    @sh76 said

Yanks love themselves, who knew 🤷🏻‍♂️
  13. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 10:20
    @sh76 said
    Maybe it’s holiday makers or people who have only viewed the US through the Hollywood lens like me
    It’s also the dominant global pop culture, music fast food and tech.
    Or possibly Facebook is a magnet for Tupi people saying stupid stuff
  14. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 10:24
    @shavixmir said
    I thought that was the question.

Well, as an outsider, what’s to love about the US?
    The deserts. Absolutely stunning.
    I really liked LA. Driving around the Hollywood hills, down to Venice… great stuff.

Good music, good films and steak for breakfast.
    The vast majority of people I met there were very friendly, inquisitive and generous.

This forum does not represent the US in a very positive light.
    “ This forum does not represent the US in a very positive light.”
    Good point, I’ve always liked the idea of holiday in the US but this board has dulled the ambition, it’s Canada for me when I retire
  15. SubscriberAverageJoe1
    Gimme It! Free Stuf!
    Lake Como
    Moves
    23 Mar '24 10:57
    @kevcvs57 said
    Yanks love themselves, who knew 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Convenience. There is not other country that has the conveniences and service that we do here.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree