1. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Nov '15 20:55
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    You do realize that that is the location of its headquarters and not where the actual steel plants are located?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '15 21:111 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Nov '15 21:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You do realize that that is the location of its headquarters and not where the actual steel plants are located?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_steel_production

Luxembourg's ArcelorMittal is large but its plants are in Spain,France, Germany, etc. It got large by mergers and aquisitions. The above cited link is by country of plant location. China dominates, with about half of world production and about 10 times US production.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Nov '15 21:19

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    12 Nov '15 23:21
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I don't think we need to increase or decrease wages. We can simply let the market determine the correct rate.
    It is only sensible that the customer determine if the price is right. Since wages are the price of labor, the decision lies with those buying and selling it.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Nov '15 05:15
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/11/11/donald-trump-insists-that-wages-are-too-high/

I know quackquack agrees with this and thinks Americans will have to see their wages decreased to the levels of say Cambodians so that we can "compete" with the rest of the world, but do others think the Donald is right?
    Donald Trump was referring to a question about raising the National minimum wage. Minimum wages should be determined at the state level based on the cost of living in each state.

YouTube

Donald Trump Wants To Raise Taxes For The Rich And Lower Taxes For The Middle Class

YouTube
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    13 Nov '15 05:30
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    When Trump says: "Our wages are too high." does he in fact mean your wages are too high, or does he include himself in the calculation. Somehow I suspect the former.
    Rich people don't get wages, they get profits.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Nov '15 06:372 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    When Trump says: "Our wages are too high." does he in fact mean your wages are too high, or does he include himself in the calculation. Somehow I suspect the former.
    The New York Times added that "Our" in quoting Trump. If you listen to the video I posted a link to, you will see he actually said, "Taxes are too high. Wages are too high." Putting this in context, he was referring to a question about doubling the national minimum wage, that he was against. So he was not referring to everyones wages because he makes referrence to the minimum wage earners working their way up to higher paying jobs.

If you look at the second video, he also wants the rich to pay more in taxes while reducing the taxes on the middle class. Trump is always getting misquoted and taken out of context. Do you wonder why they do that?

It's what they do. 😏
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Nov '15 07:28
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The New York Times added that "Our" in quoting Trump. If you listen to the video I posted a link to, you will see he actually said, "Taxes are too high. Wages are too high." Putting this in context, he was referring to a question about doubling the national minimum wage, that he was against. So he was not referring to everyones wages because he makes ref ...[text shortened]... g misquoted and taken out of context. Do you wonder why they do that?

It's what they do. 😏
    No he specifically said "Our wages are too high" referring to workers in the US. He was NOT misquoted.
  10. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Nov '15 14:00
    Originally posted by normbenign
    It is only sensible that the customer determine if the price is right. Since wages are the price of labor, the decision lies with those buying and selling it.
    Agreed.
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Nov '15 16:44
    Agreed.
    Wages are far more than the price of labor. They are the primary determinant of demand and consumption. The lower the wages, the less advanced the economy will be and will also be more inherently unstable.

The economic system is created by society; there is no reason why society should accept a level of wages that is detrimental to the overall well-being of society. If this makes some who have benefited from the economic system that society has created unhappy, that's TFB.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Nov '15 16:51
    I don't think we need to increase or decrease wages. We can simply let the market determine the correct rate.
    The "market" is a societal creation governed by societal rules and regulations. If the result of this human creation is large degrees of poverty and misery then it should be regulated as necessary to alleviate these undesirable results.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    13 Nov '15 16:56
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The New York Times added that "Our" in quoting Trump. If you listen to the video I posted a link to, you will see he actually said, "Taxes are too high. Wages are too high." Putting this in context, he was referring to a question about doubling the national minimum wage, that he was against. So he was not referring to everyones wages because he makes ref ...[text shortened]... g misquoted and taken out of context. Do you wonder why they do that?

It's what they do. 😏
    It's a tough position politically," Trump admitted during an interview on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

"We have to become competitive with the world. Our taxes are too high, our wages are too high. Everything is too high. We have to compete with other countries."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-doubles-down-wages-161524016.html;_ylt=AwrTcco.FUZWuz0AwEAnnIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByNWU4cGh1BGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--
  14. Joined
    18 Jan '05
    Moves
    13 Nov '15 21:40
    This is an overly simplistic, and damaging way to view this.
    Because, simply, though the market may rightly determine the price paid for products/services, it is predominantly the corporations that determine how much the scum at the bottom get. They control the slaves. The more desperate that you are, the less you are prepared to work for.
    At work recently( I work for the surface coating company PPG ) the Asia pacific vice-president was explaining to us at a site face to face meeting that they want to increase productivity 10% next year. They plan on doing this by stealing our ( all workers on site) collective futures. By cutting un-needed staff and talking about Non-people,whatever that means. He wants us to help cut our own jobs so they can make more money. Their share price went up over 500% in 6-7 yrs. ( check it out ), the exec bonuses have gone through the roof, and they want us to help them destroy our kids futures. productivity is not always a good thing.
    Our site now pays $9.00 per hr less than the Aussie paint company equivalent. Their profit will NEVER be high enough.
    The market does not, and will not, determine the rate.
  15. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    13 Nov '15 21:49
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Rich people don't get wages, they get profits.
    Sometimes they get rent.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree