1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 23:062 edits
    An idea to improve the tone of this Forum:

I think I'm going to start a contest where people give ideas on how to replace phrases you use with "nice" terms like in MadLibs.It won't stop you from polluting this Forum with dozens of idiotic, abusive posts just like this one every week, but it might be good for a few laughs.

The basic idea is we would take attack words you use a few hundred times per week and change them to "nice" words. Say you use the word "liar" in a post (as you do a few hundred times a week); we change it to "handsome" and an adjective in front of "liar" like say "pathological" gets changed to "incredibly". So we change the start of this post to:

The incredibly handsome no1Marauder keeps being handsome as usual.

Why thank you, Duchess, that was nice of you to say so! And it always "nice to be nice" as John Rusinovich's father always told me.

Anybody else want to play? I'll take suggestion for "racist" "sexist" "arrogant" etc. etc. etc. and run them through the Niceinator in order to make Duchess' posts acceptable under the TOS.

EDIT: Duchess has generously submitted a sample in the "Hillary" thread - words are needed for "obsession" "hatred" "prejudice" and "white". No peeking though.

EDIT2: Add "troll" and "despicable" to the list.
  2. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 23:22
    How about we replace the word "sarcasm" with "tee-hee!".
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 23:38
    Originally posted by no1marauder

I think I'm going to start a contest where people give ideas on how to replace phrases you use with "nice" terms like in MadLibs.It won't stop you from polluting this Forum with dozens of idiotic, abusive posts just like this one every week, but it might be good for a few laughs.

The basic idea is we would ...[text shortened]... " thread - words are needed for "obsession" "hatred" "prejudice" and "white". No peeking though.
    great idea.
    go love yourself
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Aug '16 23:54
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    great idea.
    go love yourself
    🙂
  5. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    25 Aug '16 00:161 edit

The basic idea is we would ...[text shortened]... "prejudice" and "white". No peeking though.

It would be a lot easier to code if we just changed all her words to spaces, or more truthful if we just changed all her sentences to "I hate you."
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Aug '16 00:27
    Originally posted by Sleepyguy
    It would be a lot easier to code if we just changed all her words to spaces, or more truthful if we just changed all her sentences to "I hate you."
    Easier sure but not nicer.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Aug '16 00:33
    SMH. He is is over in the science forum going on and on about race in a quantum entaglement thread! He is so "incredible".
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    25 Aug '16 06:42

The basic idea is we would ...[text shortened]... "prejudice" and "white". No peeking though.

I think I'd rather throw up in a spacesuit.

"What??"

"I know, right? How random was that?"
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Aug '16 10:24
    Actually on closer inspection it looks like an idea to allow you to delude yourself into thinking peoples criticisms of you are actually compliments. I see no sign that you want to be nicer to other people.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Aug '16 11:59
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Actually on closer inspection it looks like an idea to allow you to delude yourself into thinking peoples criticisms of you are actually compliments. I see no sign that you want to be nicer to other people.
    Well I think you are deluding yourself; I'd certainly prefer a Forum where ideas are exchanged in a reasonably mature manner. With some people that seems to be an impossibility.
  11. Standard memberSleepyguy
    Reepy Rastardly Guy
    Dustbin of history
    Moves
    25 Aug '16 12:09
    Well I think you are deluding yourself; I'd certainly prefer a Forum where ideas are exchanged in a reasonably mature manner. With some people that seems to be an impossibility.
    Whatever moderators exist for these forums, they seem to be asleep at the switch in Duchess' case. The only options seem to be avoid the forum (or site), or try going up the chain.
  12. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Aug '16 12:10
    I could see people criticizing your suggestion as naive or silly, but why are so many people insistent on their right to be verbally abusive? Is there really a need to call someone a "pathological liars" when they actually mean they "have a different viewpoint?" Is there a need to call some a "rape apologist" when they actually mean "concerned with the rights of the accused?"
    To me, not only is the immature language classless and contrary to the terms or service, it actually loses meaning.
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Aug '16 12:52
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I could see people criticizing your suggestion as naive or silly, but why are so many people insistent on their right to be verbally abusive?
    Who here has insisted on that?

Is there really a need to call someone a "pathological liars" when they actually mean they "have a different viewpoint?"
    But do they? As far as I know, that phrase is used almost exclusively by Duchess, and as far as I can tell, she means it. Why do you not take her at her word and instead try to mind read what you think she means?

Is there a need to call some a "rape apologist" when they actually mean "concerned with the rights of the accused?"
    Again, can you cite anyone ever saying 'rape apologist' when what they meant was 'concerned with the rights of the accused'?

To me, not only is the immature language classless and contrary to the terms or service, it actually loses meaning.
    It looses meaning because you choose to ignore its meaning and throw your own false interpretation at it.

And how is the issue solved by no1 choosing to similarly ignore the meaning and replace it with something that sounds better to his ear but does not represent what is being communicated?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Aug '16 12:55
    Well you could start by actually changing the way you behave rather than suggesting changing phrases to make it look nicer when it really isn't. If anything, your plan has resulted in people who would never normally use bad language using this as an excuse to do so under the guise of nice looking words.
    Kelly tried something similar over in Spirituality where he wished everyone to be polite, but showed no signs whatsoever of actually changing his own rude behaviour.
    Rudeness is much more than the words you use.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Aug '16 13:09
    The interesting thing is that the people who are complaining the most about Duchess still engage her regularly.
    If you can't stand someone, ignore them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree