1. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 23:591 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    That isn't what Congress did here; it used the Congressional Review Act to overturn an administrative rule passed last year. Info on the CRA (passed in 1996 but only used once before this January) is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Review_Act

Presumably, States could pass laws banning such practices. I think there's a good chance tha ...[text shortened]... ay/2017/03/22/521089304/congress-rolls-back-obama-era-rule-on-hunting-bears-and-wolves-in-alaska
    Which puts a different light on the debate from the rather emotive line of argument in the link posted in the OP. Really I feel a wildlife reserve ought to be a wildlife reserve and that hunting should happen elsewhere. What I don't know is how much wild area there is in Alaska that isn't part of a National Reserve.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 00:08
    Originally posted by Eladar
    If a State wanted to declare itself a slave state, the Federal Government could not stop it.

The Constitution clearly states what the Federal Government can own.

As long as a simple majority of Supreme Court Judges say is what governs the land.
    Yes they could.

No it doesn't.

😴😴😴
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 00:28
    If a State wanted to declare itself a slave state, the Federal Government could not stop it.

The Constitution clearly states what the Federal Government can own.

As long as a simple majority of Supreme Court Judges say is what governs the land.
    Three strikes. You're out!
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 00:48
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    Three strikes. You're out!
    There was no prohibition against slavery at the time.

You need to get your eyes checked.

No, seriously, get your eyes checked, you Pinko.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 01:001 edit

In the areas being discussed there was:

Sec. 14. It is hereby ordained and declared by the authority aforesaid, That the following articles shall be considered as articles of compact between the original States and the people and States in the said territory and forever remain unalterable, unless by common consent, to wit:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Art. 6. There shall be neither slavery nor involuntary servitude in the said territory, otherwise than in the punishment of crimes whereof the party shall have been duly convicted:

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/nworder.asp

EDIT: And be a dear and point out where: The Constitution clearly states what the Federal Government can own.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 03:011 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    In the areas being discussed there was:

Sec. 14. It is hereby ordained and declared by the authority aforesaid, That the following articles shall be considered as articles of compact between the original States and the people and States in the said territory and forever remain unalterable, unless by common consent, to wit:

------------------------ ...[text shortened]... a dear and point out where: The Constitution clearly states what the Federal Government can own.
    Once the territory becomes a state, the territory restrictions no longer exist.

You really are dense.

Of course the anti slave people who settled there would not own slaves, which is what I said to begin with.

As for what the government can own, try the tenth amendment.
  7. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 03:34

You need to get your brain checked. If they can find it.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 08:42
    Originally posted by finnegan
    That fits with the US hatred of experts of course.
    What?

By "the US hatred", I am guessing you mean the current administration? Then say so, instead of conflating "the current administration" with "the US" as a whole.
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 09:04
    Originally posted by vivify
    You can't look at things so narrowly. Step back and see the bigger picture. Putting such as decision in the hands of a Republican-controlled congress, during a Republican presidential administration, means conservatives won't have to worry about nature-loving hippies ruining their fun at the state-level. Basically, it's one less hurdle gun-toting conservat ...[text shortened]... concerned with in an effort to use their toys to kill as many of any animal they want for sport.
    I'm so glad there's an ocean between us and them.
  10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 13:59
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    An ocean Reps are passing laws to let them polute.
  11. SubscriberWajoma
    Die Cheeseburger
    Provocation
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 14:19
    Originally posted by finnegan
    I have in mind their disdain for their cultural heritage.
    Hunting is a return to their cultural heritage. Embracing namby pamby doo goody hand wringing greenie-ism would be showing a disdain for their cultural heritage.
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 15:43
    Originally posted by Wajoma
    Hunting is a return to their cultural heritage. Embracing namby pamby doo goody hand wringing greenie-ism would be showing a disdain for their cultural heritage.
    Sort of like using guns, driving cars and electricity then...
  13. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 15:59
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    I'll drink to that!
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 16:03
    Originally posted by HandyAndy
    I'll drink to that!
    You'll drink to anything
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 16:271 edit
    http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/founders/tocs/a1_8_17.html

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of Particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--

I do not believe anyone can argue that a National Park is a needful building.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree