1. Account suspended
    Moves
    09 Apr '14 08:093 edits
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    You and I have never sworn allegiance either Robbie but we can still be tried for Treason.

And Wallace, being ENGLISH, necessarily was expected to be a loyal subject.
    But then again I am not living in feudal Britain, nor am I a knight compelled to swear allegiance to any monarch.

Wallace was born in Paisley, now correct me if I am wrong, but its a Scottish town, has always been a Scottish town and is always likely to be a Scottish town! I have visited the monument near Elderslie which marks that glorious occasion!

What is more Scotland was an independent Kingdom and as a Scottish Knight, Wallace had taken no oath of allegiance to Edward I making the charges of treason ludicrous. If I am not a citizen of a principality nor swore an oath of fealty how can I be LEGALLY tried for treason?

On August 23rd, he was brought before a bench of noblemen in Westminster Hall. Then, a long and accurate indictment was read against him detailing all his military victories and the murder of many English prisoners-of-war. It mattered little to the bench, no doubt acting on Edward's direct orders. He was not allowed to speak, to defend himself or his actions and the sentence was read. Wallace did try to speak out at one point. Records show that he yelled out that he admitted all the charges against him except treason. How could he be guilty of high treason if he had never sworn allegiance to the King of England? This defence was valid but of little avail to the bloodthirsty bench of medieval English judges. Revenge mattered more than justice.

http://www.visitaberfeldy.com/wallace-trial.htm
  2. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 19:05
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    But then again I am not living in feudal Britain, nor am I a knight compelled to swear allegiance to any monarch.

Wallace was born in Paisley, now correct me if I am wrong, but its a Scottish town, has always been a Scottish town and is always likely to be a Scottish town! I have visited the monument near Elderslie which marks that glorious occa ...[text shortened]... h judges. Revenge mattered more than justice.

http://www.visitaberfeldy.com/wallace-trial.htm
    As is usual in the affairs of men, might was right. Wallace was on the right side of justice and the wrong side of execution and power. How accurate was the movie Braveheart? Did Wallace have an affair with the princess, wife of Edward's son and heir to the throne.
  3. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 19:27
    Originally posted by normbenign
    Not sure if you are equating my stance with W's which couldn't be farther from the truth.
    I was trying to say Jeb's wording creates an image of compassionate conservatism.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 19:301 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. The Catbird's Seat
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 21:03
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Good call Duchess64. I had heard somewhere the movie was almost entirely made up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree