1. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    31 Jul '23 23:16
    Even after their pathetic cheating on the 2nd Test, and their lucky escape from a thrashing in the 4th , due to the weather, the Aussies were rightly vanquished today.

Anyone choosing to challenge this, suggest you look at batting/bowling figures for the series.

Same o!d Aussies, always cheating
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Aug '23 17:41
    @blood-on-the-tracks said
    Even after their pathetic cheating on the 2nd Test, and their lucky escape from a thrashing in the 4th , due to the weather, the Aussies were rightly vanquished today.

Anyone choosing to challenge this, suggest you look at batting/bowling figures for the series.

Spoken like a true Bodyliner.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    01 Aug '23 21:29
    @Shallow-Blue

Did you follow this series?

Same old Aussies, always cheating
  4. SubscriberPonderable
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    02 Aug '23 11:36

I am not an expert and had to look things up.

So it was a draw (https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/the-ashes-2023-1336038) and Australia keeps the Cup.
  5. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    02 Aug '23 14:17
    @Shallow-Blue

Not true if you're referring to the Bairstow incident."Not in the spirit of the game" is a separate issue.
    A lot of teams in professional sport will do anything to gain an advantage looking for loopholes in the rules to exploit. In test cricket this includes trying to get the ball changed every 10 minutes,going off for "comfort" breaks(why does the wicket keeper never need a comfort break?) and time wasting by both the batting and bowling sides when it suits them.
    There's an easy way to stop players going off for alleged comfort breaks.It was suggested by Michael holding years ago.Let the fielders go off as often as they like,but no substitute fielder is allowed.
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    02 Aug '23 23:25
    @venda

Bairstow was making no effort to gain an advantage. The Aussies should at least have warned him..

I understand their keeper making the appeal in the heat of the moment. You would hope then that a couple of the 'old heads' would say 'hey, this ain't right' .

Erm, no

7. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    03 Aug '23 08:02
    @venda

Bairstow was making no effort to gain an advantage. The Aussies should at least have warned him..

I understand their keeper making the appeal in the heat of the moment. You would hope then that a couple of the 'old heads' would say 'hey, this ain't right' .

Erm, no

I agree Bairstow should have been warned,but running him out comes under "not in the spirit of the game"
    No laws were broken.
    I read once that Farouk Engineer the Indian wicket keeper had specially made gloves giving him extra reach when standing up to the spinners.
    Now THAT is cheating
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Aug '23 14:43
    @Shallow-Blue

Yes.

Same old Poms, always whining about sharp yet safe plays.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '14
    Moves
    12 Aug '23 22:16
    @Shallow-Blue

Sharp yet safe?

As our coach said, we would not have appealed for that.

As I said earlier, if the Aussies were looking to 'do' Johnny that way, they should have warned him first. He was not looking to take any advantage.

Very poor sportsmanship. Not whinging at all.

Had the best of the 4 results, and smashed them to all parts of Old Trafford, before the rain saved them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree