1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    17 Oct '22 10:04
    Welcome to my thought experiment.

A space traveler from earth carries an entangled particle to Alpha Centauri at 4.367 light-years away from earth. The space traveler is instructed to measure the polarity of the entangled particle at an exact time so the space traveler will know someone on earth will know he is measuring the entangled particle right before the space traveler does.

Will the space traveler's atomic clock still be synchronized with the atomic clock on earth so he knows he is getting the first entangled qubit and not the second qubit sent?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Oct '22 22:49
    @Metal-Brain
    That would be impossible, the clock onboard the spacecraft will ALWAYS be out of sync with Earth because both Earth and the spacecraft are moving and Earth itself is in the center of the Earth spacetime curve we call gravity.

So it is impossible for both clocks to be exactly in sync,
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    23 Oct '22 05:49
    @sonhouse
    The earth is moving with the sun around the galaxy. Everything is moving.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 Oct '22 15:151 edit
    @Metal-Brain
    That just says the same thing, remote clocks cannot be fully synced because spacetime is different in one frame of reference V the other. Time itself runs differently depending on where you stand in the gravity well or how fast you are going.
    And if they are light years apart the best they could do is to approximate the sync after at least twice the time of arrival of signals or if they were advanced enough, the same time as the number of light years away they are.
    That would be through advanced software transmitted along side the sync signals.
    I hope you understand I WORKED on atomic clocks, I know them.
  5. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    26 Oct '22 02:04
    https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/worlds-accurate-clock-now/story?id=64877303

most accurate clock uses positive charged aluminum ion....
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    26 Oct '22 08:19
    @sonhouse
    It went completely over your head. We are moving with the other nearby stars around the galaxy. The difference would not be that much and regardless of the difference you completely disregarded calculating that difference.

What are you doing, assuming the space traveler went there at close to the speed of light? Are you nay saying just for the sake of disagreeing? You are not even making a reasonable argument. If you were you would have asked how long it took him to get there and you didn't.

Either you think it is impossible to calculate the difference or you are dung throwing like an ape. Which is it?
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    27 Oct '22 16:30
    @metal-brain said

A space traveler from earth carries an entangled particle to Alpha Centauri at 4.367 light-years away from earth. The space traveler is instructed to measure the polarity of the entangled particle at an exact time so the space traveler will know someone on earth will know he is measuring the entangled particle right before the space tr ...[text shortened]... ic clock on earth so he knows he is getting the first entangled qubit and not the second qubit sent?
    The clocks may or may not be showing the same time (probably won’t) but if the traveler knows precisely how he traveled with all accelerations etc he can calculate Earth time using his clock so he should be able to determine whether he’s first or second, yes.
  8. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    27 Oct '22 19:25
    @metal-brain said

A space traveler from earth carries an entangled particle to Alpha Centauri at 4.367 light-years away from earth. The space traveler is instructed to measure the polarity of the entangled particle at an exact time so the space traveler will know someone on earth will know he is measuring the entangled particle right before the space tr ...[text shortened]... ic clock on earth so he knows he is getting the first entangled qubit and not the second qubit sent?
    This is just a special relativity question. In fact, you're really just asking whether someone who jets off to Alpha Centauri will find his watch still synchronized with his buddy's watch back on Earth. I take "synchronized" to mean reading the same time to whatever precision the watches are capable of.

The answer is no.
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '22 07:19
    @athousandyoung said
    The clocks may or may not be showing the same time (probably won’t) but if the traveler knows precisely how he traveled with all accelerations etc he can calculate Earth time using his clock so he should be able to determine whether he’s first or second, yes.
    Thank you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree