1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Feb '24 05:24
    @Metal-Brain
    You think its MY fantasy? I read about the idea AND how to get AM like ten years ago. The engineering has already been worked out, all they need now is a source of AM and there are ideas afoot to do just that. In space there is about 3 atoms per cubic meter and AM is about one part in 10 billion of that so a large volume will have AM in measurable quantities and there is a design already, a kind of sphere of basically chicken wire, some few hundred meters across, charged up to very high voltage and it will attract a certain amount of AM and any of that stuff that gets inside will be captured magnetically and it won't even take that much energy, the PS has to put out about 100 million volts but extremely low current so extremely low wattage, we used Ion implanters charged up to 15 million volts and that PS wasn't that big a deal so going up some ten times that won't be a huge deal either.
    This is not MY idea, I am just reporting one engineering attempt to get the stuff.
    There is also a design for an atomic rocket that will reportedly get to Mars in about 4 months, about 3 times faster than today, I saw that online.
    Technology is advancing faster than you could ever understand so just let the adults here bring you up to speed every now and again.
  2. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '24 08:40
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    03 Mar '24 22:15
    @Metal-Brain
    The one thing about that video that is true is if there is a Penning type antimatter trap and the power fails it goes boom big time, a gram I think is equal to the Nagasaki bomb, so most likely a real reactor would be talking about milligrams and another possible way to store the stuff is to cool the mass down to near zero Kelvin and if they could maintain that state as an ionized atom the trapping field could cause them to go round and round the trap. One way to lessen the danger would be to use superconducting magnets that would be room temperature or above kind of SC, a daunting task for sure but if such superconductors were developed the magnetic field could be maintained with near zero energy. not actually zero because the curved path ions take in a magnetic field sucks a bit of energy out of the superconductor system so it would slowly get warmer till it was no longer a SC and THEN it goes boom.
    A difficult problem but I think that is in the realm of engineering and those dudes have a habit of making things previously thought impossible.
    If the number indicating how powerful AM is compared to fusion, some 300 times greater energy potential, that would put Fusion at about 1/3 of one percent of the available energy per gram of anti matter. I don't know how accurate that number is. It is not a huge problem, I could figure it out if I wanted to but the gist is AM is at least hundreds of times more energy dense than fusion.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Mar '24 19:22
    @sonhouse
    I guess Metal Brain went on to bigger conspiracy theories, no show. I hope he did not kick the bucket.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree