1. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Jul '17 16:36
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation

It is entirely possible that the researchers WERE doing quantum teleportation (of a photons state), but it wasn't clear from the article that they actually were, or were merely sending entangled photons.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jul '17 17:21
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation

It is entirely possible that the researchers WERE doing quantum teleportation (of a photons state), but it wasn't clear from the article that they actually were, or were merely sending entangled photons.
    Here is a neat talk about these subjects and more:

YouTube
  3. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    13 Jul '17 19:10
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I have a pair of shoes, one left and one right shoe.

I took one of the shoes, at random, I didn't know exactly which one, and sent this shoe to Antarctica where I have a friend. He took it up from the package and exactly the same time when he discovered which one he'd got, the right one or the left one, the information of what shoe was at my side.

Q ...[text shortened]... at the speed of light, or (b) instantaneously?

Entanglement is not more mysterious than this.
    Interesting comparison.

It is still mysterious as to why it happens. Even Einstein was baffled by it (spooky action at a distance) and everyone since.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jul '17 20:00
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Interesting comparison.

It is still mysterious as to why it happens. Even Einstein was baffled by it (spooky action at a distance) and everyone since.
    And it will remain a mystery till a full quantum mechanics theory shows up. Right now, it's relativity V quantum mechanics where relativity talks about big stuff like stars and people and galaxies and going close to the speed of light and how time flow changes in response to different gravity levels and the like while quantum stuff is mostly about the very small and we can't connect them as of yet. It's going to take a new Einstein I suspect, some kid who gets bullied in school because he is too smart and different doesn't want to play baseball with the guys because he is thinking so much.
  5. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 03:41
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    You forgot: some morons prefer precision.
    oh..do you mean MUONS ?
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 05:02
    Originally posted by ogb
    oh..do you mean MUONS ?
    The uncertainty principle says they can't be precise. So I guess we go back to morons.

I told you there would be moron that later😉
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 08:16
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And it will remain a mystery till a full quantum mechanics theory shows up.
    Not so.
    Full quantum mechanics theory is already here and it fully explains entanglement and other similar quantum phenomena very well.
    The problem is, quantum mechanics is NOT Newtonian mechanics and we have great difficulty wrapping our heads around it and keep trying to mould it into Newtonian mechanics.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 08:37
    Not so.
    Full quantum mechanics theory is already here and it fully explains entanglement and other similar quantum phenomena very well.
    The problem is, quantum mechanics is NOT Newtonian mechanics and we have great difficulty wrapping our heads around it and keep trying to mould it into Newtonian mechanics.
    The "TOE' then?
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 11:121 edit
    The "TOE' then?
    Irrelevant to understanding quantum entanglement and most other mind bending quantum stuff.
    There may be deeper levels to quantum mechanics, but I expect they will be even more confusing rather than making it all make sense.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 14:41
    Irrelevant to understanding quantum entanglement and most other mind bending quantum stuff.
    There may be deeper levels to quantum mechanics, but I expect they will be even more confusing rather than making it all make sense.
    Well we then await the next Einstein.
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 15:081 edit
    Why? Quantum theory and relativity are pretty much good for almost everything. The really big outstanding questions are dark matter and dark energy and how big the universe is, and I am not sure those can be answered with a 'TOE'.
    We also need some sort of explanation for the fundamental particles. Although some aspects of them follow from quantum mechanics, most of their properties are found solely from experiment and the reason for their values are unknown (at least that's my understanding as a layman).
    Again, the traditional 'TOE' might not answer those questions.
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 15:431 edit
    I think that should have been said as "...the next Niels Bohr"
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 16:13
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Need a little help to get my head around this. The Time's reports that scientists have managed to teleport an object Into space!

'A team of researchers in China sent a photon from the ground to an orbiting satellite more than 300 miles above through a process known as quantum entanglement, according to MIT Technology Review. It’s the farthest dis ...[text shortened]... nd station in Tibet to the low-orbiting satellite. They were successful in more than 900 cases.'
    What's the use of that when you're still bound by the speed of light to confirm the experiment?
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 17:18
    Originally posted by humy
    I think that should have been said as "...the next Niels Bohr"
    That is soo Bohring🙂
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    14 Jul '17 17:39
    What would happen if you kept pinging those photons to the receptor until you reached either an odd or even number and then stopped as a 1 or 0 respectively. Would that then convey the information without need for confirmation?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree