1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Mar '24 16:27
    A TX court has upheld a school’s regulation of boys’ hair, to wit:

<<“boy’s hair will not extend below the eyebrows, below the ear lobes, or below the top of a t-shirt collar.”>>

<<In January, Poole [school district superintendent] placed a full page ad in the Houston Chronicle, arguing that “being an American requires conformity with the positive benefit of unity.”>>

“Unity through conformity”— wake up America, that’s Xi’s recipe for China.

https://us.cnn.com/2024/02/22/us/darryl-george-crown-act-trial-texas-reaj/index.html
  2. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Mar '24 16:55
    @moonbus said

<<“boy’s hair will not extend below the eyebrows, below the ear lobes, or below the top of a t-shirt collar.”>>

<<In January, Poole [school district superintendent] placed a full page ad in the Houston Chronicle, arguing that “being an American requires conformity with the positive benefit of unity.”>> ...[text shortened]... for China.

https://us.cnn.com/2024/02/22/us/darryl-george-crown-act-trial-texas-reaj/index.html
    You mean like a school dress code?

<gasp>

Oh, the Humanity!
  3. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    28 Mar '24 17:04
    @moonbus said

<<In January, Poole [school district superintendent] placed a full page ad in the Houston Chronicle, arguing that “being an American requires conformity with the positive benefit of unity.”>> ...[text shortened]... for China.

Hahahaha
  4. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Mar '24 18:44
    @sh76 said
    You mean like a school dress code?

<gasp>

Oh, the Humanity!
    A school dress code should be limited to "clothes should cover genitals and torso, clothes may not cover face or hands, clothes shall not be decorated with indecent or unpleasant images or words, shoes are required for safety's sake, and For Eff's Sake, You Teenage Pigs, Thou Shalt Wash". Anything much more is mere English public school bullying and a sop to classism.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Mar '24 21:12
    @shallow-blue said
    A school dress code should be limited to "clothes should cover genitals and torso, clothes may not cover face or hands, clothes shall not be decorated with indecent or unpleasant images or words, shoes are required for safety's sake, and For Eff's Sake, You Teenage Pigs, Thou Shalt Wash". Anything much more is mere English public school bullying and a sop to classism.
    You left out “no firearms.”
  6. SubscriberEarl of Trumps
    Pawn Whisperer
    My Kingdom fora Pawn
    Moves
    28 Mar '24 21:18
    Conformity has its use, such as the military, BUT,,,
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Mar '24 21:22
    @earl-of-trumps said
    In a public school system, regulating hair length for one gender only is the wrong place to be drawing lines in sand. Few things are more subject to change than the fickle finger of hair fashion.
  8. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    28 Mar '24 22:22
    @earl-of-trumps said
    I agree!
  9. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    28 Mar '24 22:24
    I worked in the field of Quality Assurance, and conformity to contractual requirements is a must if the item is to function properly, as designed and specified; form, fit, and function. But for those who object to strict specified requirements, we have allowed tolerances built-in for those requirements. However, even the variation allowances must be limited to a certain specified amount of plus or minus, to still assure proper form, fit, and function.

Too much liberty is just as bad as no liberty. It's a historical norm that the downfall of democracy begins with the want of too much liberty.

Conformity to requirements may be a safety concern; for example, head lice and fleas. I would decree that everyone shave their hair and keep it that way, for boys and girls. And not just for school attendees, but for everyone. Think of all the savings just from not buying shampoo products, and no hair-coloring products either, to name a couple.

But here I should disclose that I suffer from male-pattern boldness. I meant baldness.

YouTube
  10. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Mar '24 07:55
    @earl-of-trumps said
    Yes, I do see the point in the military. I also see the point of requiring short hair for people who work around machinery, for safety reasons. But no kid is likely to get his hair caught in machinery in HS geography class.
  11. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Mar '24 07:592 edits
    @pettytalk said
    I worked in the field of Quality Assurance, and conformity to contractual requirements is a must if the item is to function properly, as designed and specified; form, fit, and function. But for those who object to strict specified requirements, we have allowed tolerances built-in for those requirements. However, even the variation allowances must be limited to a certain spe ...[text shortened]... suffer from male-pattern boldness. I meant baldness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt_yKPNORLM
    The TX school board regulation does not seem to fulfill any sensible purpose or meet any safety requirements. It looks like arbitrary infringement on personal appearance.

I’m surprised the court did not strike it down for being blatantly sexist; apparently there are not any restrictions on girls’ hair. I wonder whether the school board there would object to girls wearing their hair in a crew cut.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Mar '24 16:58
    @moonbus said
    You left out “no firearms.”
    I wouldn't put that under a dress code, because |I am not American.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree