1. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    15 Dec '23 06:10
    There appear to be a players who show they are on vacation yet still continue to play.

This seem to me to be an abuse of the vacation setting to avoid time outs.

Am I right in saying; use the vacation setting and you cannot be timed out, because if so, it seems unfair to the opponent
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    15 Dec '23 11:46
    @martins said
    There appear to be a players who show they are on vacation yet still continue to play.

Am I right in saying; use the vacation setting and you cannot be timed out, because if so, it seems unfair to the opponent
    as has been said many times by myself and others,the vacation function is incorrectly named.It is just timeout protection.You can continue to play when the flag is up.
    Personally, I do not play when I am away from the computer but others who are on a vacation may choose to play a few games on their phones or something.
  3. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    15 Dec '23 21:20
    @venda said
    as has been said many times by myself and others,the vacation function is incorrectly named.It is just timeout protection.You can continue to play when the flag is up.
    Personally, I do not play when I am away from the computer but others who are on a vacation may choose to play a few games on their phones or something.
    "it is just timeout protection."

That is my query; is it impossible for someone on vacation to be timed out?

If so, it is very unfair as players who are losing could abuse the facility so that they never lose their games
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    15 Dec '23 21:45
    @MartinS
    The use of vacation (time-out protection) is limited to 36 days per year,
  5. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    16 Dec '23 08:42
    @mwmiller
    Thank you for replying

I think i understand but am still getting used to a site new to me and finding my way around again.

So, if a player uses up all their time bank, even though they show as being on vacation, theuy can still be timed out?
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    16 Dec '23 09:552 edits
    @martins said
    @mwmiller
    Thank you for replying

I think i understand but am still getting used to a site new to me and finding my way around again.

So, if a player uses up all their time bank, even though they show as being on vacation, theuy can still be timed out?
    You wont be offered the Timeout button until the vacation symbol disappears, which could be up to 36 days maximum from when it first appeared. People often use the vacation to get them over life events such as hospital stays, but a very small number of players may abuse the privilege, no system can cover all possible situations. Vacation is only available to subscribers, of course.

If I am on vacation and I get the chance to make moves, I do, and so do most players. Generally opponents appreciate the game continuing.
  7. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    16 Dec '23 17:18
    @kewpie said
    You wont be offered the Timeout button until the vacation symbol disappears, which could be up to 36 days maximum from when it first appeared. People often use the vacation to get them over life events such as hospital stays, but a very small number of players may abuse the privilege, no system can cover all possible situations. Vacation is only available to subscribers, of ...[text shortened]... ce to make moves, I do, and so do most players. Generally opponents appreciate the game continuing.
    👍
  8. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    17 Dec '23 02:28
    @Kewpie

Thank you
  9. Northamptonshire, UK
    Moves
    21 Dec '23 20:482 edits
    @martins said

A subscriber (ie paid for) benefit and I do it regularly. If you don't like it, suggest you maybe either become a subscriber or just don't play affected games/players.
  10. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    24 Dec '23 05:54

Removed by poster

11. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    24 Dec '23 06:00
    @flyingwolf said
    A subscriber (ie paid for) benefit and I do it regularly. If you don't like it, suggest you maybe either become a subscriber or just don't play affected games/players.
    If you do your research dickhead you will see I am a subscriber.

Chess is a game foe sportsmen and I was simply questioning the sportsmanship of abusing the vacation setting

Merry Christmas and I trust our paths will not cross again.

Regards
  12. Northamptonshire, UK
    Moves
    24 Dec '23 09:39
    @MartinS If they did, you'd be regretting it mate believe me...,.
  13. Joined
    20 Sep '01
    Moves
    25 Dec '23 01:18
    @FlyingWolf

I don't think I can take any threat from a Wolverhampton Wanderers supporter very seriously.

PS

I'm in Lincolnshire, not far away, would you like to meet and kiss and make up?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree