1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 02:12
    On another thread, a Christian poster - coming to the aid of a fellow Christian he felt was being criticized - said this to the 'critic': "I think you're the one with the real mental health issues. Or are they spiritual health issues?"

The question I would like to raise is this:

Aside from a case like X telling Y that he or she - broadly - has "spiritual health issues" because Y does not have the same religious beliefs as X (or doesn't have any religious beliefs at all), how might we define and give examples of "spiritual health issues" that could apply to people generally** rather than those rooted in disputes about religious doctrine?

[** I am taking a broad view here of what it means to be "spiritual" that isn't necessarily about supernatural things but finds its origin in the word "spirit" in the term "human spirit", as has been discussed at length here in the past.]
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 02:291 edit
    You are spiritually hurting when you aren't 'true to yourself'. That isn't very precise, sorry, I need to think about your question some more.
  3. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 02:34
    https://wellness.ucr.edu/spiritual_wellness.html
    Spiritual Wellness is a personal matter involving values and beliefs that provide a purpose in our lives.

So yeah, the more we find ourselves behaving contrary to our morals, the more spiritually ill we are. From a zen perspective, we're talking about losing one's center. Drifting.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 02:52
    Originally posted by apathist
    So yeah, the more we find ourselves behaving contrary to our morals, the more spiritually ill we are. From a zen perspective, we're talking about losing one's center. Drifting.
    So we have adhering to one's morals.

And we have whether or not someone feels a sense of purpose (and not drifting).

I'll add: the quality of friendships and relationships ~ maybe the absence or lack of conflict.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 07:412 edits
    Originally posted by FMF
    On another thread, a Christian poster - coming to the aid of a fellow Christian he felt was being criticized - said this to the 'critic': "I think you're the one with the real mental health issues. Or are they spiritual health issues?"

Aside from a case like X telling Y that he or she - broadly - has "spiritual h ...[text shortened]... the word "spirit" in the term "human spirit", as has been discussed at length here in the past.]
    I have no idea what a "spiritual health issue" might be, other than another snide insult intended to convey to other Christian readers that the recipient is in some way spirituality inferior or perhaps from poor spiritual parentage. Such as being possessed by or even born of the Devil. It appears to be a bit of nasty in-group flagging and finger pointing.

It seems to me that certain so called Christian posters are increasingly inclined to to call critics of their viewpoint "haters" and/or "satanists" and/or "sons of Satan". Considering that all we are doing is arguing about stuff in the internet, it is pretty disappointing.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 16:01
    I only recognise physical and mental health. 'Spiritual health' probably belongs in the second of these categories. In other words, for some people, belief in God is paramount to a healthy mind-set in dealing with the realities of existence.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 16:51
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    I only recognise physical and mental health. 'Spiritual health' probably belongs in the second of these categories. In other words, for some people, belief in God is paramount to a healthy mind-set in dealing with the realities of existence.
    Since no god is forthcoming only humans say stuff about gods, for or against. So the spiritual health issue is not really applicable to real life. Spiritual health is what you think it is, each one having a different take on it. Some people might view spiritual health as killing those not of their faith and others 'did I do enough good today' kind of thought. As if there were a scoreboard and only those with passing scores got into valhalla or whatever you choose as your fantasy heaven.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    23 Mar '17 23:251 edit
    Originally posted by FMF

Aside from a case like X telling Y that he or she - broadly - has "spiritual h ...[text shortened]... the word "spirit" in the term "human spirit", as has been discussed at length here in the past.]
    Are you talking about spiritual health issues while one is alive, or the health issues one might experience post life?

In general, "spiritual" exercises like yoga, meditation, prayer and general mindfullness have been said to be beneficial not only on a physical level, but on a spiritual one as well.

Any good practioner of meditation will tell you that meditation will raise your core body temperature. And I mean quite significantly. Now, not being a doctor in any normal sense of the word, I dont know what possible health benefits there may be from raising your body temperature, but if you were faced with freezing to death while lost on a camping expedition (for example) it might come in quiet handy
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 00:34
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I have no idea what a "spiritual health issue" might be, other than another snide insult intended to convey to other Christian readers that the recipient is in some way spirituality inferior or perhaps from poor spiritual parentage. Such as being possessed by or even born of the Devil. It appears to be a bit of nasty in-group flagging and finger pointing ...[text shortened]... dering that all we are doing is arguing about stuff in the internet, it is pretty disappointing.
    "I have no idea what a "spiritual health issue" might be,..

Why does that not surprise me?

Do you know the difference between a believer and an unbeliever? Not much, except one is born again and the other is spiritually dead. The one loves the truth, and the other denies it.

Or don't you believe the scriptures?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 00:58
    Originally posted by josephw
    Why does that not surprise me? Do you know the difference between a believer and an unbeliever? Not much, except one is born again and the other is spiritually dead. The one loves the truth, and the other denies it. Or don't you believe the scriptures?
    Do you have any contribution to make that is specifically in reply to the opening post?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 01:041 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Do you know the difference between a believer and an unbeliever? Not much, except one is born again and the other is spiritually dead.
    If you are saying that having "no spiritual heath issues" is being a believer and that "having spiritual health issues" is being an unbeliever, then yes i can totally concur with you.

However that is surely not what you meant (assuming it is you being referenced in the OP) when you said it? Surely you were not just saying FMF is an unbeliever...is that what you were saying?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 01:13
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Are you talking about spiritual health issues while one is alive, or the health issues one might experience post life?
    I am using "spiritual" in a way that isn't necessarily about supernatural things but where it finds its origin in the word "spirit" in the term "human spirit". But if "spiritual health issues" for you encompass your attitude to (or preparation for] what you perceive as something "one might experience post life", then fair enough.
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 04:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am using "spiritual" in a way that isn't necessarily about supernatural things but where it finds its origin in the word "spirit" in the term "human spirit". But if "spiritual health issues" for you encompass your attitude to (or preparation for] what you perceive as something "one might experience post life", then fair enough.
    rrrr, ok. So physical or unphysical?

(I suspect I deserved that answer because of the way I asked the question, sorry there bob)

I still need a bit more time to get a decent answer happening here. I'll try (that's a decent answer from my self to your op )
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 04:29
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    rrrr, ok. So physical or unphysical?

(I suspect I deserved that answer because of the way I asked the question, sorry there bob)

I still need a bit more time to get a decent answer happening here. I'll try (that's a decent answer from my self to your op )
    My take on the breadth that the word "spirituality" ought to have is here Thread 166277.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '17 07:48
    Originally posted by divegeester
    If you are saying that having "no spiritual heath issues" is being a believer and that "having spiritual health issues" is being an unbeliever, then yes i can totally concur with you.

However that is surely not what you meant (assuming it is you being referenced in the OP) when you said it? Surely you were not just saying FMF is an unbeliever...is that what you were saying?
    Josephw?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree