1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 13:24
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I agree with Raj, more Sunday morning coffee shop jumble sale lets raise money for the church roof when the real issue is Gods Kingdom.
    What do you regard as being "god's kingdom"?
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 13:24
    Originally posted by sonship
    Possible Christian brother Rajk999 writes:

You cannot be a lover of Jesus and speak against the following of His commandments. You are an insane religious narcissist nutcase who is in love with himself.

I am not sure whether it was Dogg or Ghost who warned me. One of the two warned me that I would regret saying that Rajk999 was not m ...[text shortened]... lies that I give to posts so far will necessarily be made to lean towards the OP subject matter.
    Jesus said: For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother. (Mark 3:35 KJV). This is the correct definition of brothers in Christ : those who do the will of God.

However since I do not have the ability to know who does the will of God and who does not, then I cannot ever definitively say that someone IS or IS NOT a brother in Christ. All descendants of Adam are potentially my brothers in Christ as far as I am concerned.

I do not subscribe the the Christian view [and yours Im sure] that only church members are brothers in Christ.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 13:26
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I do not subscribe the the Christian view [and yours Im sure] that only church members are brothers in Christ.
    This what I was driving at with my first post on page one.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 13:261 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Just regular, normal, Christian fellowship, whether church-sponsored or just persons you trust and can talk to.

Christ has ordained that two or three gathered together into His name WILL have His presence.

You home or your apartment is your sovereign area of private living. No one needs to give you permission to decide to gather two or three at your own home for precious prayer, fellowship. And if anyone does interfere with your RIGHT to follow Christ in this manner, you would probably be well served to stop meeting there.

In the sovereignty of your home, you certainly can have spiritual companions. Think of Daniel and his three companions. How useful they were in prayer.

Daniel was not alone though he was very spiritual. Daniel had companions - three of them. And together look what God was able to accomplish for His testimony through them.

I will speak of some useful things that we can do in small group gatherings.

You know, the very reason why Jesus had 12 apostles. Safety and buoyancy in numbers. Like attracts like, whatever you want to call it.

Twelve is a pretty large group. My advise to most Christians would be to start with two or three.

My advise would be that young saints gather with those of the same sex. Or two females and one male or two males and one female. Personally, i would not encourage young believers to meet one on one - male and female.

There is a distraction in the tension of male with female private meetings.
    But a threesome of mixed gender arrangement is good.
    The focus is to get into the presence of the Holy Spirit via the word of God, prayer, petition, Christ centered fellowship, singing and mutual building up for a controlled time dedicated to that end.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 13:38
    My comments on profitable Christian meetings will probably not follow an order, but be miscellaneous and accumulative.

To reiterate, every believer in Jesus Christ should feel free to have a meeting of other believers in their home. The concept of Christians gathering in these days really should be renewed.

Congregations that practice "cell groups" often find them helpful. God does seem to bless the gathering in smaller groups. I am espousing meetings with companions of even two or three or four other seekers to start.

A Christian believer should not feel his or her apartment or home or house cannot be regular place for a few fellow believers to gather for a Christ centered meeting.

Two or three companions dedicating some time to gaining Jesus Christ can have a most profitable spiritual effect on those involved. The gathering is not for gossip. But Jesus Christ and should be the center.

Because we tend to drift into loose talk and gossip, it is good to let the time be of specific length. When the prayer or singing or life imparting teaching and fellowship have taken place for a given duration of time, it is good to disperse. This way the blessing will not dissipate into worldly chatter, spiritual death spreading, and other forms of natural talkativeness that may quench the Holy Spirit.

This is not a legal matter. It is a good principle. "We start at this time. We fellowship for this amount of time. We say goodbye for another good meeting on another day."
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 13:45
    Just regular, normal, Christian fellowship, whether church-sponsored or just persons you trust and can talk to.

Christ has ordained that two or three gathered together into His name WILL have His presence.

You home or your apartment is your sovereign area of private living. No one needs to give you permission to decide to gather two o ...[text shortened]... centered fellowship, singing and mutual building up for a controlled time dedicated to that end.
    I have had fellowship with members of several religions and have discussed at length the doctrine of Christ with them and they have believed that these doctrines are the truth and they are from God. To me this is fellowship. What is not fellowship is arguing with Christians about doctrine.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 14:072 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I have had fellowship with members of several religions and have discussed at length the doctrine of Christ with them and they have believed that these doctrines are the truth and they are from God. To me this is fellowship. What is not fellowship is arguing with Christians about doctrine.
    I do not say "When you agree with ME it is fellowship. When you do NOT it is not fellowship." I need to be tempered and balanced too by others in the Body of Christ.

I think some polemic talking in love may occur in fellowship. Up to a certain point the brother with more grace should give the other the freedom of conscience to believe as he believes.

If you are a Christian and we had a companion like gathering together, I might avoid the matters which cause you to vehemently protest, as you seem usually to do often when I open up a subject. You like to put front and center every time - "But you have to OBEY the commands. You have to OBEY the commands."

What I hear you saying is that you are very sympathetic to people whom God seeking people who might be quickly written off by fundamentalists, who see something of truth in the Gospel. Of course Christians should be sensitive the Christ may have received them.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 14:12
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Is the solution you suggest, local, church orientated?
    I suggest meetings in which all can speak and function in the Holy Spirit.
    Breaking up a congregation into smaller bite size pieces for this is very profitable.

A small meeting of companions is somewhat like a meeting of a jury. I mean each person should feel free to contribute. Some direction may be set by a responsible person. But aside from some minimal setting of the direction of the meeting, each one should feel free to contribute something spiritually edifying to the meeting.

Here is where all have to learn neither to be over domineering or too shy. To think you have nothing to say is one extreme. To demand the floor over much with a long winded talk also is not good.

We should show our love for one another by allowing others to enter in to the speaking.

In the next post I will address something Faith was concerned about. I think Faith expressed concern about everyone speaking. If all things are done in good order, it is profitable that each Christian have something profitable to speak as long as it is Christ honoring and refreshing to the spiritual sense of all participating.

Even to say " Lord Jesus, we thank you tonight." or "I ask for prayer for a certain matter. I trust the Lord to help." is edifying. Even to say "Amen, and Praise the Lord Jesus" with the outflow of the Holy Spirit is building and edifying and encouraging to all who hear.
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 15:212 edits
    I do not say "When you agree with ME it is fellowship. When you do NOT it is not fellowship." I need to be tempered and balanced too by others in the Body of Christ.

I think some polemic talking in love may occur in fellowship. Up to a certain point the brother with more grace should give the other the freedom of conscience to believe as he believes.
    ...[text shortened]... truth in the Gospel. Of course Christians should be sensitive the Christ may have received them.
    In response to Paul listening to squabbling about circumcision [which the Jews claimed were essential to eternal life], versus no circumcision, he made this comment:

Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.
    (1 Corinthians 7:19 KJV)

In other words nothing is important but the keeping the commandments of God.

The issue becomes more critical when one party makes derogatory statements about these commandments, referring to them as legalistic and works-based.

I am sympathetic to all descendants of Adam, because God will be as well when Christ returns to judge. Christ is no fundamentalist and many of these fundamentalist types will find themselves in the lake of fire.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 16:03
    Small meetings with spiritual companions should be free any feeling of being under pressure. But in freedom each one should be encouraged to speak for the Lord.

" For you can all prophesy one by one that all may learn and all may be encouraged. " (1 Cor. 14:31)

This fellowship is good for larger meetings or smaller meetings of a few companions.
    The prophesy here is to speak for the Lord and not necessarily to predict something.
    It is actually speaking forth the Lord and speak out the living Lord Jesus.

This speaking builds up the faith of the companions.

The tone here in First Corinthians 14 is that Christians who come together can prophesy - one by one. If there are two of you, you can each speak something spiritual which causes the Lord to be exalted, uplifted, praised or that turns the other's heart towards trusting the Lord.

One by one, you can speak. This one speaks. And then that one speaks. Then the other speaks again. You can speak the Word of God with a released spirit and a sincere heart.
    You can speak the word and then speak about the word.

To prophesy here is to speak on behalf of God. as stated above this does not mean it has to be supernatural prediction of future events. It means to speak spiritual encouragement with some amount of truth from God's word. All, one by one, brothers and sisters, should be encouraged to utter something which convey's God to people and even into people.

" You CAN ... ALL ... prophesy ONE BY ONE "

So where are we ? I said every Christian should feel he or she needs no "permission" to have a home meeting of a few companions for enjoying the Holy Spirit.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    07 Jan '17 17:51
    The idea of spiritual companions is to focus on Christ. Getting together with another Christian should be limited in time so as not to dissipate into worldly talk.

The Lord said two or three should be gathered into His name for His presence. If we are too loose about this we may gather to talk entertainment, gossip, politics, doctrinal arguments, or some ...[text shortened]... e two or three gathered into My name, there am I in their midst." (Matt. 18:19,20)
    [/quote][/b]
    I'm not as strict as you.

Getting perspective and insights from others helps me. They don't have to share all of my beliefs, or identify as the same faith. Just someone who struggles and works at finding meaning in life.

"Worldly" talk: I remember my days as a Christian, when this was a dirty word! Even then, I didn't understand why. God created the world, I thought. Its wonders were his design. This included the people and their quirky interests. Also, we are inescapably part of the world (given that we weren't the type to shut ourselves up in a compound or anything crazy like that).

Don't get me wrong...I do like your idea of time set aside to focus on a specific, spiritual subject. I just resist having so many little "rules". To me, they just hamper natural social interaction and friendships. Social bonds can strengthen the spiritual ones, I think.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    11 Jan '17 09:351 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    I'm not as strict as you.

Since the Christian life is like the swimming of a salmon fish, upstream and against the current, i emphasize matters the strengthen the bond with Jesus.

Companions pursuing spiritual exercise for a short period of time in a regular way is very good for this.

Getting perspective and insights from others helps me.

Absolutely so. And I am speaking of the pursuit of the the kingdom of God and Christ.

They don't have to share all of my beliefs, or identify as the same faith. Just someone who struggles and works at finding meaning in life.

How do you all feel about experimenting and together opening your hearts to Jesus?

"Worldly" talk: I remember my days as a Christian, when this was a dirty word!

I am more positive then "Don't do this that or the other".

There is hardly enough time to explore all the unsearchable riches of Christ in the word.
    The word of God gives joy to the heart. And we need joy much. And it swallows up misery preoccupation with our problems.

" Your words were found and I ate them, And your word became to me the gladness and joy of my heart." (Jeremiah 15:16a)

We can chatter about the world and it will result in little joy and little gladness. But if we at least set aside a specific time for some focus on the promises of God in His Bible, there will be gladness and joy.

It seems your problems are taken care of from WITHIN in a kind of mysterious spontaneous way. You learn how profitable it is to consecrate part of your many daily hours to "finding" God's living word.

Often the more godless chatter and gossip the darker and more depressed and spiritually weak you get. Christians want to come together to spread spiritual life rather than spiritual death.

Setting aside a time with a companion or two for this is extremely profitable. "Lord Jesus, we FOCUS this time on You Lord." We all can do that for a half an hour. If we cannot do it for a half an hour then we can start with just five to ten minutes. But will bless and believers can definitely build up one another if they stay focused on exalting God and Christ.

God knows our needs. He just needs us to put aside our anxiety and even legitimate worries for a season to turn our hearts to appreciate the Lord Jesus.

Even then, I didn't understand why. God created the world, I thought. Its wonders were his design. This included the people and their quirky interests.

I am talking about a short and definite time to recess from your quirky interests to hone in on the Word of God and the living Holy Spirit.

A specific and manageable slice of time dedicated to turning the heart TOWARDS Christ will cause companions to increase in Christ in their beings.

God knows your need for recreation. I am a composer. I like to talk to other composers. And I also have time to set aside for focusing on the Lord Jesus in His word with a spiritual companion.

Husband and wife is a good small companion group to start if you're married of course.

Also, we are inescapably part of the world (given that we weren't the type to shut ourselves up in a compound or anything crazy like that).

I have time to set aside some moments to turn my heart to the Lord Jesus. This does not require you become a monk or an Amish recluse.

There are many hours in the week. As a seeking Christians I can arrange to spend a half hour to drop other things and turn my heart to Jesus Christ with a companion, or two, or more.

Don't get me wrong...I do like your idea of time set aside to focus on a specific, spiritual subject. I just resist having so many little "rules".

Oh. there's just little "helps," that's all.

The current of this age is down away from Christ - always.
    Like salmons swimming against the downward current, we Christians can exercise to strengthen our "spiritual muscles".

You see many remain babes because they are too passive.
    Others remain immature because of secret sins they cannot overcome.
    Then others are mislead by thinking just to gather more knowledge is to grow spiritually.

God will bless some time set aside to "eat" His word to feed the innermost spiritual part.

Man shall not live by bread alone, but by everything that proceeds out from the mouth of God.

A good start may be for a couple of seeking companions to read together Psalm 119. What a tremendous seeker of God was David. There are too many gems of the seeking heart there in that Psalm.

Ie.

" How sweet are Your words to my taste! Sweeter than honey to my mouth! " (Psalm 119:103)

Companions can trade off reading verses one by one. Or they can echo each other trading off. They can repeat the reading with a prayerful and musing spirit. They can together set aside some time to "digest" and assimilate the honey rich words of the Bible.

God's words are good for us to eat. Even when we do not fully understand the Bible we may be nourished by the words and brought before His face within our hearts.

"Blessed is he who reads and those who hear the words of the prophesy and keep the things written in it, for the time is near." (Rev. 1:3)

Revelation for example is not an easy book. But I remember when me and two companions sat upon the sidewalk in the main square of a small town and READ aloud some chapters. We had a little building together.

We were spiritually knit together and mutually strengthened. Many Christians have been paralyzed or made too passive by the clergy laity system.

This thread encourages saints to put aside a month to pursue the Lord Jesus for some small amount of time each week. Despise not the day of small things.

To me, they just hamper natural social interaction and friendships. Social bonds can strengthen the spiritual ones, I think.

Okay, in reading the word and praying there is also time for companions to open up their hearts to one another. There may be some practical matter to relate. That is not wrong at all.

But we are naturally prone to giving ALL the time for our self interests and giving very little time to appreciation of Christ. Actually, I can't do much about someone's problem and someone may not be able to do much about mine. But God will bless. God will empower. God will give grace. God will open a way. God will provide if we just give some time to FOCUS our hearts on Christ.

" For all these things the Gentiles are anxiously seeking. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.

But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." (Matt. 6:32,33)

I bear witness that so many times, if I set aside my legitimate anxieties and give some time to appreciate this Perfect One - Jesus, while I am not even noticing, God opens a way. God will solve a problem in ways beyond your imagination.

Seek FIRST .... Seek FIRST .... His kingdom and His righteousness. The legitimate needs God will take care of. He is the Father. He knows our needs.
    Building up the faith of one another is seeking His kingdom and His interests.
    What you need which He knows, He will take care of, because you are seeking FIRST His kingdom and His righteousness.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Jan '17 13:191 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Nice op.

what do you think of "misery sits next to company"?
    Nice op.

what do you think of "misery sits next to company"?

I think "misery sits next to company" is cute yet mostly irrelevant here.

Better would be "misery is overpowered in the presence of the resurrection life of Christ enjoyed in a corporate gathering."

I think it is perhaps a skeptical excuse to downplay the need for pursuers of God to have companions. God sees the companionship and each partner's ability to help is amplified because of the atmosphere of love and mutual help.

The Christians life is designed by God so that a vertical only relationship will lack something. There must be a horizontal relationship , brother to brother, sister to sister, brother to sister and sister to brother harmony in the Holy Spirit.

This then takes care of the believers' need yet also addresses God's need to "build" the believers in Christ up with one another.

You see, God is after a corporate vessel for a corporate expression.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree