1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 11:381 edit
    We don't know what is going on now, or what happened, or what happens next. Therefore we need gods.

But we have studied existence and history and science, and the need for gods is fading. Gods are nowhere to be found. No talking snakes or parting seas are happening anymore. No virgin births or real miracles anywhere except in the mythic past.

The mythic past is just from our memories when we were ignorant but were showing signs of brilliance. To shine brighter, we should realize that childhood fantasies are useful until we are ready to leave them behind.

We have so many things to figure out right here in the real world. Unless your gods are natural, they are not showing up to help us. We are happy to use belief in gods to kill and war and hate, That seems to take little effort. Peace and love are harder, but we are forcing the old ways to conform.

Haters need the old testament. Good but old people need the new testament. Young people need something else.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 12:43
    Is this a recent realization for you? I figured that this has been one of your beliefs from the very start.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 16:20
    Originally posted by apathist
    We don't know what is going on now, or what happened, or what happens next. Therefore we need gods.

But we have studied existence and history and science, and the need for gods is fading. Gods are nowhere to be found. No talking snakes or parting seas are happening anymore. No virgin births or real miracles anywhere except in the mythic past.

The myt ...[text shortened]... the old testament. Good but old people need the new testament. Young people need something else.
    Your 'given' is false, therefore the rest of your argument goes nowhere.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 17:15

The myt ...[text shortened]... the old testament. Good but old people need the new testament. Young people need something else.
    True religion is about love and life, the hate and death around us shows us how much it is needed.
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 19:02

"Unless your gods are natural, they are not showing up to help us"

I think the early Christian scholars recognized this in John 1:14: "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us..."

There has to be a meeting place in the natural world where the natural and supernatural interact. Originally it was Eden, but that was lost. The scholars recognized this problem and fixed it in the scriptures - under divine guidance, or so they believed.

There are other points were the supernatural enters the realm of its creation, according to some, they occur in the rituals of sacraments, others involve mushrooms and such.

Plus you are right; we need the eggs.

[/bloviating]
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 23:17

When you say "we" you mean other people wag more intelligent than you.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 23:25

"Young people need something else."

Ya, they need the same thing as everyone else. Less religion and a relationship with Jesus Christ.
  8. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 23:32
    Originally posted by josephw
    "Young people need something else."

Ya, they need the same thing as everyone else. Less religion and a relationship with Jesus Christ.
    Spirituality is what may help, and it isn't limited to your religion. I think your religion impedes spirituality, since it condemns all non-christians. Your group is special, right?
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    20 Apr '17 23:37
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Is this a recent realization for you? I figured that this has been one of your beliefs from the very start.
    Not a new realization, it is just that my skepticism has less and less to hold on to. There is something hateful and wrong about the abrahamic religions. I believe we should stop pretending otherwise.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 00:31
    Spirituality is what may help, and it isn't limited to your religion. I think your religion impedes spirituality, since it condemns all non-christians. Your group is special, right?
    I don't do religion. Get that through your thick skull.

Jesus is special, and no one else. He lives.

True Christianity isn't about condemning. It's about the truth.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 00:35
    I believe we should stop pretending otherwise.
    You should stop pretending, period.

You enter the scene thousands of years after the fact and you think you know what it's all about. You're full of misinformation.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 00:44
    [b]"Young people need something else."

Ya, they need the same thing as everyone else. Less religion and a relationship with Jesus Christ.[/b]
    What exactly is a relationship with Jesus Christ? Because nowhere does Jesus say any such thing about having a relationship with him, and neither does the Apostles.

I notice you say / support several doctrines which are not in the Bible eg
    - Jesus was born without sin.
    - When good people die they go to heaven.
    - That the wicked are tormented in hell forever.
    .. just to name a few

So if you want a Bible reader [as opposed to a church goer] to understand what a relationship with Jesus Christ is maybe you can explain it.

Oh ... by the way your father-in-law was trying to speak to you in another thread. Makes me wonder if he is your family and he cannot speak to you privately and needs to resort to talking to you on a public forum then I would guess you guys have serious communication issues. I suggest you have some more respect for the man 🙂
  13. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 00:49
    I don't do religion. Get that through your thick skull.
    Jesus is special, and no one else. He lives.
    True Christianity isn't about condemning. It's about the truth.
    I already nailed that. Your Jesus is nowhere in reality. Everyone not in your group is doomed to Hell, right?
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 01:25
    I already nailed that. Your Jesus is nowhere in reality. Everyone not in your group is doomed to Hell, right?
    You know the drill. Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. Without Jesus there is no life.

Jesus is alive and you have no evidence to the contrary. Eternal life is being offered to you, but you'd rather live in the dark not knowing where you're going after you die.

Quit lying to yourself. You have no assurance of anything except you know you're going to die. Go ahead and believe there's nothing after death even though you know you don't know for sure what's next.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Apr '17 01:41
    No, there is nothing that condemns us other than our own sins. When we hate another,
    when we speak bad about another, when we do not keep our words, when we treat others
    badly, when we condemn others for things we do, and things like that, that will condemn us.

The thing about Christianity is that God reached down to mankind to help, He either did
    that or we would all be condemn with no hope. Jesus came to save sinners, not some
    special group of people better than others. So when you think about Christians, do not
    think we are better than anyone else we are not. The one thing that sets us apart is not
    something we can take credit for, it is Jesus Christ who died for us so we could be
    forgiven than rose from the dead so we could live with God forever.

If you got other ways to God, other spiritual paths, unless God accepts them they are only
    as good as their sources. With Christianity, God is the source.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree