1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 02:441 edit
    There are some Christians here who subscribe to notions promoting the "perfect" nature and "ultimate" morality of inconceivably angry violence as an active and never ending revenge for thoughtcrimes.

If that's what some people believe happens, then so be it. I don't think them having such ideas is morally unsound, in and of itself ~ good luck to them if it gives their life meaning. Good luck to them if it makes them living their 'Christian life' easier - safe in the knowledge that they have declared themselves immune or not deserving of such grotesque punishment. I don't believe in thoughtcrimes.

But I do think, if proponents of the "perfection" of torture ever try to manipulate vulnerable people or children or emotionally disturbed people with their notions about the "ultimate morality" of stupendous violence and a supernatural being's inexplicable feelings of anger and need for vengeance, that it might constitute morally unsound behaviour.

Can assailing certain people, in certain conditions and circumstances, with an ideology imbued with such extraordinary violence and anger be morally unsound in certain circumstances.
  2. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 03:05
    Exactly why are going around telling people what to think.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 03:07
    Originally posted by apathist
    Exactly why are going around telling people what to think.
    There may be a word or two missing from what you typed.
  4. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 03:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    There are some Christians here who subscribe to notions promoting the "perfect" nature and "ultimate" morality of inconceivably angry violence as an active and never ending revenge for thoughtcrimes.

If that's what some people believe happens, then so be it. I don't think them having such ideas is morally unsound, in and of itself ~ good luck to them i ...[text shortened]... y imbued with such extraordinary violence and anger be morally unsound in certain circumstances.
    Would you say fantasising about a woman other than your wife is morally sound?
  5. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 03:39
    Originally posted by FMF
    There may be a word or two missing from what you typed.
    Yes. Point got lost?
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 03:40
    Yes. Point got lost?
    No subject/noun, as such.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 03:44
    Originally posted by FMF

If that's what some people believe happens, then so be it. I don't think them having such ideas is morally unsound, in and of itself ~ good luck to them i ...[text shortened]... y imbued with such extraordinary violence and anger be morally unsound in certain circumstances.
    I see this in federal (Australian) politics lately with the resurrection of Pauline Hanson. She does more damage than good by vilifying muslims,etc.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 03:45
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Only if it affects one's behaviour, including one's honesty, towards one's spouse. I would say "fantasizing about a woman other than your wife" is a symptom that all is not well with one's emotional and spiritual life, and that - without tackling that - there is a danger of there being actions involving damage to, or deceit of, one's partner in the future, which to my way of thinking would be morally unsound.
  9. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 04:33
    Originally posted by FMF
    No subject/noun, as such.
    Totally implied, and even you got it.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 05:01
    Totally implied, and even you got it.
    Not really. I think you missed the chance to contribute properly to the thread. Even if I were to figure out if you were referring to people who might use their ideologies to manipulate vulnerable people, or whether you were just talking about everybody and anybody discussing what their ideologies are - "telling people what to think" in that sense - you haven't offered anything on when or how promoting ideas might sometimes be morally unsound. I'd be interested in your thoughts.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 05:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    Not really. I think you missed the chance to contribute properly to the thread. Even if I were to figure out if you were referring to people who might use their ideologies to manipulate vulnerable people, or whether you were just talking about everybody and anybody discussing what their ideologies are - "telling people what to think" in that sense - you haven't ...[text shortened]... n or how promoting ideas might sometimes be morally unsound. I'd be interested in your thoughts.
    I got his point but then again does really matter?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 05:28
    Originally posted by JS357
    I got his point but then again does really matter?
    If his point is that going around 'telling people what to think' (whatever that may actually mean) is morally unsound, then that might be an interesting thing to talk about.
  13. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 07:22
    Originally posted by FMF
    Only if it affects one's behaviour, including one's honesty, towards one's spouse. I would say "fantasizing about a woman other than your wife" is a symptom that all is not well with one's emotional and spiritual life, and that - without tackling that - there is a danger of there being actions involving damage to, or deceit of, one's partner in the future, which to my way of thinking would be morally unsound.
    So if you fantasise about other women and you don't tell your wife aren't you being dishonest with your wife by not telling her?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 07:31
    So if you fantasise about other women and you don't tell your wife aren't you being dishonest with your wife by not telling her?
    No I don't think so. I was thinking more in terms of deceitful behaviour caused by interest in other women.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 07:33
    I'd be interested in your thoughts about the issue raised in the OP.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree