1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 14:221 edit
    They ain't all stupid by far.
    See? A theist says so.

Can you be intellectually brilliant and wrong ?
  2. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 14:28
    Originally posted by sonship
    See a theist says so.

With this quote in hand, my question to you is, can Christian thinking be wrong to? A concept like the rapture theory. In my personal opinion is very selfish and does not walk in the teachings of Jesus. Yet it is taught in many churches as a truth.

Can you be intellectually brilliant as a Christian and be wrong?
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 14:485 edits
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    A concept like the rapture theory. In my personal opinion is very selfish and does not walk in the teachings of Jesus. Yet it is taught in many churches as a truth.

Can you be intellectually brilliant as a Christian and be wrong?[/b]
    With this quote in hand, my question to you is, can Christian thinking be wrong to?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, the thinking of a Christian can be wrong.
    In fact he begins by realizing that he is really, really wrong.

I haven't been the same since I saw this.

A concept like the rapture theory. In my personal opinion is very selfish and does not walk in the teachings of Jesus. Yet it is taught in many churches as a truth.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the rapture, if we go back and carefully examine what is said, I would agree that many misconceptions abound.

I do believe in raptures.
    But I do agree that many misconceptions distort the concept.

I would discuss it with you. But I would only want to do so in a manner in which every post I write exults Jesus, honors Jesus, and draws out love for Jesus.

Some would find this annoying, like "Why is he saying that?"
    A Christ centric discussion of Rapture - I am up to.
    But just arguing about timing and this or that, I'm not wanting to indulge in that kind of debate just to win some argument about Rapture.

I think you understand me here.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 14:53
    I think my intention on this thread is to try to help some people realize that sheer Cerebral ability is not the only thing that is needed to come forward to the living God.

"Only the real smart can know truth" is a myth.

Jesus thanked His Father once -

" At that time Jesus answered and said, I extol You, Father, Lord of heaven and of earth, because You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants.

Yes, Father, for thus it has been well-pleasing in Your sight." (Matt. 11:25,26)

This was said after a series of rejections to His ministry from various quarters and areas. see 11:1-24. That included also even the doubt of John the Baptist while he was in prison wondering why Jesus didn't get him out.
  5. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 15:00
    Yes.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 15:02
    I think my intention on this thread is to try to help some people realize that sheer Cerebral ability is not the only thing that is needed to come forward to the living God.
    So, if you believe it is not the only thing that is needed to "come forward to the living God", then you believe it is only one of several things needed to come forward? You need "sheer cerebral ability" but you need other things too, is that it?
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 16:22
    See? A theist says so.

Think I've mentioned before, but the smartest person I ever met was a theist. (He lectured in Philosophy and had a brain the size of a planet).

I completely respected his intelligence....But he was wrong when it came to the existence of God. I often struggled to reconcile the two.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 17:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    So, if you believe it is not the [b]only thing that is needed to "come forward to the living God", then you believe it is only one of several things needed to come forward? You need "sheer cerebral ability" but you need other things too, is that it?[/b]
    That's right.

You and I could never hold a candle to Albert Einstien in terms of intelligence.

Albert Einstein could not remain faithful to his first wife. His great mind was of no profit to him to adhere to his conscience that he should be true to his vow to the wife of his youth.

One must realize that there is a need for forgiveness from God.
    A lofty IQ may not furnish one with the humility to admit that he has sinned and really needs salvation from a savior God.

Now if this reply I have given you is not 1000 % consistent with all you think you understand about the Christian gospel, I believe it is adequate to help someone (who wants it) to see great intelligence is not the only thing a man needs to obtain the most important truth.
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 18:12
    That's right.

You and I could never hold a candle to Albert Einstien in terms of intelligence.

Albert Einstein could not remain faithful to his first wife. His great mind was of no profit to him to adhere to his conscience that he should be true to his vow to the wife of his youth.

One must realize that there is a need for forgiveness from God ...[text shortened]... to see great intelligence is not the only thing a man needs to obtain the most important truth.
    What other thing(s) do we need?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 18:291 edit
    Why is "sheer Cerebral ability" required at all?
  11. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 18:42
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Why is "sheer Cerebral ability" required at all?
    Is your point maybe that a cabbage can also believe in God?
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 19:00
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Is your point maybe that a cabbage can also believe in God?
    If it doesn't want to end up as cole slaw, it better.
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 19:33
    [b] With this quote in hand, my question to you is, can Christian thinking be wrong to?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A con ...[text shortened]... hat kind of debate just to win some argument about Rapture.

So here we have humans talking about a god. Again. If a god can't tell me about itself, I will NEVER listen to humans telling me how great THEIR god is. It is in fact, the biggest scam in human history. Your god was made in the image of mankind and for a good reason. Your human crowd would not want to worship a god looking like a kangaroo or a tiger or a butterfly. Your god MUST look like humans. Funny thing about that, just like the Miss Universe contest. Somebody from earth won, AGAIN!

So have your god tell ME it is a god, otherwise, humans? Forget it.
  14. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    07 Mar '17 20:34
    [b] With this quote in hand, my question to you is, can Christian thinking be wrong to?

A con ...[text shortened]... hat kind of debate just to win some argument about Rapture.

I know this is off subject for this thread.

You are right to say there are various types of raptures. Death to everlasting life - for some the long awaited "finish line" . I am always one in God, but being in His Glorious Presents is a rapture to itself. Something i long for again.

The rapture theory i speak of that disgusts me has to do with the "Great Escape" as i look at it. Leaving the earth before the tribulation. Everything i have heard of it makes it a very selfish teaching. Basically looking out for your own skin, and to heck with everyone else. They like to use that verse in scripture when two people are in the field, and one is then taken while the other is left behind. Funny thing about that verse, it never says which one is the believer. Maybe they were both believers. What of those left behind.

The J. W.'s used to have a similar teaching. So many people would go to heaven and that was it. Then after some years, it changed to include the rest would inherit the earth. I'm not sure what the teachings are now, seems like they keep changing every so many years. (not picking on J. W.'s, just an example)
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Mar '17 00:05
    ... great intelligence is not the only thing a man needs to obtain the most important truth.
    You are the first Christian I have ever encountered who has contended that, to be a Christian, one needs "great intelligence". But to be fair, having repeated the claim after being asked about it, you seem to have simply blurted out a bit of inarticulate nonsense. Surely you are going to walk this one back a bit and retract your claim about the need for "great intelligence".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree