1. Standard memberTom Wolsey
    Aficionado of Prawns
    Texas
    Moves
    04 May '17 16:43
    Does paid membership open more options for creating a chess puzzle?

I want to create a puzzle. But, the prior move must be known, so the solver can be aware that en passant is a possible move. (opponent pawn has just advanced 2 squares). I don't see a way to do this.

Also, the default "mate in 1" puzzle verbiage gives the puzzle away. The idea is, I want a "play your best move" with other options being tantalizing.

Obviously this would be a 'just for fun' puzzle for players in about the 1100-1200 range, but the idea is, white wins with en passant discovered double checkmate.

So. Do I have to be a paying member to get the 2 options I'm looking for, or, is there no way to do it period.

Thank you,
    Tom
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 May '17 13:50
    Good idea. I would like see to puzzles that clearly lead to a won game, but not necessarily mate in a few moves.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 May '17 10:382 edits
    Maybe you could explore this idea in the "Only Chess" Forum. Perhaps a kind of "Puzzle of the Week" thread, or even a blog like greenpawn's.

I'd like to see efforts towards resources for those who wish to improve their game.

To answer your question, though, I'm afraid the answer is "no". At least "not yet".

You can now add a "static board" via FEN or an "interactive board" via PGN, but that is really the best you can do with this right now. Puzzles could be achieved in a thread with either, by showing a static FEN board for the puzzle with a partial PGN for the answer.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 May '17 11:39
    And see this thread for ideas on how to present puzzles -- Thread 172337

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree