1. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Mar '17 06:46
    For those still interested:
    How to track stand

YouTube

Proof that the wheels do not have to be rolling (and therefore that gyroscopic effects are not essential to staying up). Being able to twist the handlebar and exert force against the twisted fork is.
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Mar '17 07:14
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Proof that the wheels do not have to be rolling (and therefore that gyroscopic effects are not essential to staying up). Being able to twist the handlebar and exert force against the twisted fork is.
    Interesting. It would appear those bikes have the pedals locked.

People might also find this interesting:

YouTube

I can only wheelie for a few seconds, but I can ride facing backwards (sitting on the handlebars).
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Mar '17 09:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Interesting. It would appear those bikes have the pedals locked.

I can only wheelie for a few seconds, but I can ride facing backwards (sitting on the handlebars).
    Track riders are typically clamped into their pedals (with cleated shoes).

Backwards -- now that's a good trick!
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Mar '17 11:11
    Originally posted by moonbus
    Track riders are typically clamped into their pedals (with cleated shoes).
    I was referring to the fact that they can peddle backwards. That is not normally possible on most bikes because of the free wheel. A monocycle has no free wheel so you can stand on the spot with a single wheel. Also circus bikes have no free wheel so they can ride them like monocycles.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Mar '17 13:02
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I was referring to the fact that they can peddle backwards. That is not normally possible on most bikes because of the free wheel. A monocycle has no free wheel so you can stand on the spot with a single wheel. Also circus bikes have no free wheel so they can ride them like monocycles.
    Oh, that. No free wheel at the rear, fixed gear. Pedal backwards, go backwards. Track bikes also have no brakes.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Mar '17 14:20
    Also fun is to swap hands. If you are careful, you can ride like that, but if you start to fall there is a danger of a reflex action that goes the wrong way.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    31 Mar '17 14:22
    Regarding the gyroscopic effect, riding a scooter with tiny little wheels (a few inches) is easy and comes naturally if you have ridden a bike.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    31 Mar '17 17:43
    Yes, and children learn to cycle easily if they start on a modern draisine with wheels and steering, so they learn to balance, but without pedals. Something like the early 19th c. velocipedes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_bicycle

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree