1. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 May '17 15:59
    Rather than debating temperature rises and the cherry picking of data from different sources it may be better to gauge glacier melting with sea level rise since that is where the melting ends up.

Nils-Axel Mörner says sea levels are not increasing at an alarming rate. Is he wrong and if so by how much?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    27 May '17 17:05
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_level_rise
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 May '17 17:471 edit
    Originally posted by Metal Brain
    Nils-Axel Mörner says sea levels are not increasing at an alarming rate. Is he wrong and if so by how much?
    He is wrong by 0.03 'alarmings'. Or is that within his margin of error?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 May '17 17:52
    Rather than debating temperature rises and the cherry picking of data from different sources it may be better to gauge glacier melting with sea level rise since that is where the melting ends up.

How alarming sea level rise is, depends very much on where you live. Although I live near the sea in Cape Town, I am not yet alarmed personally. I am certainly concerned about the long term though.

But sea level rise is only one aspect of global warming. An glacier melt rates is probably not the smartest way to measure temperatures. We have thermometers, and satellites for that.
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    27 May '17 18:027 edits

1, I am not aware of anyone, let alone a climate scientist, saying that sea level rise is currently occurring at an 'alarming rate". I am not implying such a person doesn't exists but rather such people must be a relative rarity and certainly not what we would call 'the norm'.

2, your question is a totally stupid one to post in a SCIENCE forum since "alarming" (anything) isn't a scientific term or scientific quantity but rather is an emotional response. So your question "Is he wrong and if so by how much?" is a totally unanswerable question in any valid science; unless you can explain to us how we can numerically (i.e. put an actual number to it such as "3" or 5.3" etc ) and scientifically define the 'amount of' emotion of "alarm" so we can then say, as you asked, "...by how much" 😛
  6. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 May '17 18:17
    Nils-Axel Mörner - not always correct...

http://www.vof.se/folkvett/ar-1997/nr-3-4/klockan-som-slagruta/
  7. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    27 May '17 18:18
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    How alarming sea level rise is, depends very much on where you live. .
    and also on your personality.
  8. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    27 May '17 18:232 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Nils-Axel Mörner - not always correct...

http://www.vof.se/folkvett/ar-1997/nr-3-4/klockan-som-slagruta/
    err, unless I am seriously missing something, your link appears to be written in some non-English language.
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 May '17 18:34
    Originally posted by humy
    err, unless I am seriously missing something, your link appears to be written in some non-English language.
    http://www.vof.se/utmarkelser/tidigare-utmarkelser/arets-forvillare-1995/
    In rough translation:
    He won the 'misleader of the Year' award in 1995.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 May '17 19:481 edit
    Yes, it's Swedish. He is Swedish. Google Translate will give you a clue.
    He believes in some strange things. So I wouldn't trust him too much.
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 19:15
    1, I am not aware of anyone, let alone a climate scientist, saying that sea level rise is currently occurring at an 'alarming rate". I am not implying such a person doesn't exists but rather such people must be a relative rarity and certainly not what we would call 'the norm'.

2, your question is a totally stupid one to post in a SCIENCE forum since "alarmin ...[text shortened]... define the 'amount of' emotion of "alarm" so we can then say, as you asked, "...by how much" 😛
    "2, your question is a totally stupid one to post in a SCIENCE forum since "alarming" (anything) isn't a scientific term or scientific quantity but rather is an emotional response."

You have used the term "denier" many times. Is that a scientific term that is not an emotional response?
  12. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 19:19
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    How alarming sea level rise is, depends very much on where you live. Although I live near the sea in Cape Town, I am not yet alarmed personally. I am certainly concerned about the long term though.

But sea level rise is only one aspect of global warming. An glacier melt rates is probably not the smartest way to measure temperatures. We have thermometers, and satellites for that.
    Thermometers are often put in cities and airports that are "heat islands". Not the smartest way to measure temperatures. I think sea levels are the best way to gauge how much warming is actually taking place.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 19:22
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Yes, it's Swedish. He is Swedish. Google Translate will give you a clue.
    He believes in some strange things. So I wouldn't trust him too much.
    Expecting English speaking people to translate Swedish is not the smartest way to convince us you have a point.
  14. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 19:26
    Thermometers are often put in cities and airports that are "heat islands". Not the smartest way to measure temperatures. I think sea levels are the best way to gauge how much warming is actually taking place.
    Do you really think scientists in climatology measure temperatures in cities and airports? Don't you think there are thermometers in more isolated places? Don't you think there are many methods to measure temperatures? Don't you think they calibrate their methods to avoid these heat islands?
  15. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    01 Jun '17 19:30
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_level_rise
    Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information, although the graph on the wiki link you posted shows a steady rise with no alarming increase at all for over 100 years.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree