1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 15:43
    https://phys.org/news/2017-07-probability-quantum-world-local-realism.html

Can someone explain this? Does that mean the two electrons swapped information faster than the speed of light?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 16:50
    The violation of local realism means that when you perform a measurement (on an entangled system), then when you get some result X for a property of a particle, that particle did not (necessarily) have property X prior to measurement.

The correlations implied through entanglement occur instantaneously, but you cannot use entanglement to "make things happen" faster than light.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 21:03
    Originally posted by @kazetnagorra
    The violation of local realism means that when you perform a measurement (on an entangled system), then when you get some result X for a property of a particle, that particle did not (necessarily) have property X prior to measurement.

The correlations implied through entanglement occur instantaneously, but you cannot use entanglement to "make things happen" faster than light.
    So far anyway🙂 Maybe some new Einstein will figure out a loophole. HEY, it could happen🙂
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 21:17
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    So far anyway🙂 Maybe some new Einstein will figure out a loophole. HEY, it could happen🙂
    I don't see why we need an Einstein. A lot of physics is progressed by perfectly ordinary people.
    What we really need is a better education system so that we have more educated people to work on such issues.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Jul '17 22:51
    Originally posted by @twhitehead
    I don't see why we need an Einstein. A lot of physics is progressed by perfectly ordinary people.
    What we really need is a better education system so that we have more educated people to work on such issues.
    Truer words were never spoken! BTW, my son in law, Gandhi, is a 'statistical physicist' and my daughter Heather and Gandhi teach their subject at Federal University in Natal Brazil, she teaches music and he of course, physics. He said Statistical physics used to be called 'biophysics' and in fact his thesis was about the foraging patterns of albatross birds feeding on the ocean, which he showed followed a well known mathmematical pattern, don't know the name but it has to do with the bird making random turns hunting over the ocean in a locale then flying a matrix to a new locale and random movement in that area for a while and continuing that way. Gandi is now known as the 'father of foraging'.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    21 Jul '17 08:08
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Superluminal influences have some serious implications. Suppose that you do A which causes B to happen superluminally (i.e. faster than light). Then there exist reference frames in which B precedes A!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree