1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 16:09
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I calculated the orbital period at around one hour. I didn't claim something new would be found about gravity, just a fun experiment.
    Fun! And expensive! ๐Ÿ™‚
  2. Cape Town
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 16:46
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    I didn't claim something new would be found about gravity, just a fun experiment.
    I really don't know what would be fun about it.
    Besides, much more interesting to go look at asteroids which are already doing the experiment.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 16:491 edit
    Originally posted by @twhitehead
    I really don't know what would be fun about it.
    Besides, much more interesting to go look at asteroids which are already doing the experiment.
    Just wait till I get my Nobel prize for making the first mini moons๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously, I imagine such an effort would be doomed to failure inside ISS and maybe even in orbit isolated. I do notice things let loose inside ISS don't stay still, it may be impossible to make something stay in position inside due to forces probably greater than gravity, the circulating air for instance.

If you were going to try this thought experiment for real you would first have to be able to put a mass in the center of ISS and have it stay there for hours. Don't see that happening without some kind of magnetic feedback or some such.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree