1. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 01:573 edits
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    It illustrates the curved space nature of gravity, that is it bends space and it LOOKS like a force to us but it really is just tipping the sheet a bit to make things roll on the sheet.
    I'm not sure why it's even called a force. It pulls instead of pushes, there doesn't seem to be any particle associated with it, and it's conspicuously weaker than the other forces. In fact, gravity is so weak that there is a theory saying the force is leaking in from some other unseen/undetectable dimension.

Odd, isn't it? Other dimensions used to be fun to think about. But now with string theory, and mysteriously weak gravition, extra dimensions have become somewhat essential to expaining what we don't yet know....

Like a modern day fairy tale dominating our scientifical thoughts until someday, yes, someday in future... not tomorrow, but in the distant unforeseeable future....so far far away into the future we don't need to deal with it right now, except to have faith in the knowledge that given enough time, ALL of our fantasy's will someday come true!

And Walt Disney will be there to greet what is left of our rotting, or dry husks of... of what could very well have been our bodies. But who knows, or cares, because it's so mind blowingly far into the future only a pencil neck geek who can't get a date for Saturday night and still lives with his aging parents would give a rats [finger nails] about what the future holds for the development of humanity and science, and whatever other horse [bloop] we might find ourselves deeply caring about for no apparent reason... kinda like we do today. Only then it will be new, and better... because it's new.
    And fresh... refreshingly new.

yeah
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 05:20
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    It illustrates the curved space nature of gravity, that is it bends space and it LOOKS like a force to us but it really is just tipping the sheet a bit to make things roll on the sheet.
    We know that this 'sheet' has no 2-dimentional surface, right?
    It is really a 'sheet' of a 3-dimentional space. So 'tipping' perhaps is not the best choice of word.
    If we think of this as a 3- and not 2-dimentional analogy, then it is easier to make a connection to the reality.
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 05:462 edits
    Originally posted by @lemon-lime
    I'm not sure why it's even called a force.
    that is because you don't understand the first thing about physics terminology let alone physics.. Why don't you ever try and learn something about it instead of speaking out of ignorance?
  4. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 06:21
    Originally posted by @humy
    that is because you don't understand the first thing about physics terminology let alone physics.. Why don't you ever try and learn something about it instead of speaking out of ignorance?
    Yes dear.
  5. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 06:30
    If the universe began from a single point and expanded ouwards from that point, it should be possible (not practically, but in theory) to reverse engineer the expansion back to that one single point. By itself that point cannot be located, because without surrounding reverence points the concept of location wouldn't exist.

So I'm suggesting it could b ...[text shortened]... ather than on the limiting (and often arbitrarily assigned) definitions of the words themselves.
    without surrounding reverence points

Oops... (autospell)
  6. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 14:32
    you do know it is a scientific fact that space is expanding, right?
    Just checking.
    Actually it is not a scientific fact. It is still debatable.
  7. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 14:36
    And by the principle of Occam's razor, we should assume no (to be more precise, assign an arbitrarily very 'low' probability of) boundaries to the universe until if or when we have evidence to the contrary; that is just how science works.
    By your flawed logic the assertion that dark energy exists is unintelligent nonsense

wrong; we have ...[text shortened]... razor doesn't apply to the second case because of evidence (for or against) for the second case.
    Wrong!

You are confusing dark energy with dark matter. Two different things. I agree there is dark matter. Don't you remember me claiming the dark matter was likely black holes?

Get it together man!
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 14:39
    Originally posted by @metal-brain
    Actually it is not a scientific fact. It is still debatable.
    The inflation theory propose an expanding universe.
    Do you reject the inflation theory?

Unless, of course, you think it's in the scientific dogma that everything is debatable, even the existence of our universe?
  9. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 14:46
    Originally posted by @fabianfnas
    The inflation theory propose an expanding universe.
    Do you reject the inflation theory?

Unless, of course, you think it's in the scientific dogma that everything is debatable, even the existence of our universe?
    Some people question if all space is expanding or just a part of it. Some even claim it is an illusion that may be proven wrong some day. My source of information is Star-date from NPR.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 14:51
    You are confusing dark energy with dark matter.
    Actually I didn't but rather misread your post due to mild dyslexia. But you are still clearly wrong for claiming according to my logic dark energy is "unintelligent nonsense"; why?
  11. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 15:15
    Actually I didn't but rather misread your post due to mild dyslexia. But you are still clearly wrong for claiming according to my logic dark energy is "unintelligent nonsense"; why?
    Dark energy is supposed to be causing space to expand (according to theory only) and my theory is simply an alternative explanation to that. Both are unprovable at this time so my theory is no more nonsense than dark energy. You were just trigger happy and spoke too soon.
  12. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 15:316 edits
    Dark energy is supposed to be causing space to expand (according to theory only) and my theory is simply an alternative explanation to that. Both are unprovable at this time so my theory is no more nonsense than dark energy. You were just trigger happy and spoke too soon.
    Dark energy is supposed to be causing space to expand

No it isn't. It is supposed to accelerate the expansion of the universe but dark matter doesn't explain why space started to expand in the first place and isn't a theory of that.
    Yet again you talk out of total ignorance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy
    "...Dark energy is the most accepted hypothesis to explain the observations since the 1990s indicating that the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate ...."

and my theory is simply an alternative explanation to that.

No, it isn't.
    ...so my theory is no more nonsense than dark energy.

Your 'theory' is total idiocy from the start; yours 'explains' nothing while dark energy at least for now explains something even if it is wrong.
  13. Joined
    07 Dec '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 15:46
    Dark energy is supposed to be causing space to expand

No it isn't. It is supposed to accelerate the expansion of the universe but dark matter doesn't explain why space started to expand in the first place and isn't a theory of that.
    Yet again you talk out of total ignorance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy
    "...Dark ...[text shortened]... rs 'explains' nothing while dark energy at least for now explains something even if it is wrong.
    You are wrong about everything in your last post. If dark energy does not explain why the universe is expanding it sure does not explain why the expansion is accelerating.

Stop making stuff up and trying to pass it as accepted science. Lay off wikipedia. You know it is not a reliable source of info. I recommend you try and prove me wrong using a reliable source of info. When you try to do that you will find out you have failed again.
  14. Standard memberlemon lime
    itiswhatitis
    oLd ScHoOl
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 15:512 edits
    I'm not sure why it's even called a force. It pulls instead of pushes, there doesn't seem to be any particle associated with it, and it's conspicuously weaker than the other forces. In fact, gravity is so weak that there is a theory saying the force is leaking in from some other unseen/undetectable dimension.

Odd, isn't it? Other dimensions used to be ...[text shortened]... nly then it will be new, and better... because it's new.
    And fresh... refreshingly new.

yeah
    ...there is a theory saying the force is leaking in from some other unseen/undetectable dimension.

Oops... I think it's the other way around.
    Most of the 'force' of gravity is spilling into another dimension, or dimensions (plural). This is why (supposedly) gravity appears to be a weak force.

did I use the right words this time?
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Jul '17 16:12
    Some people question if all space is expanding or just a part of it. Some even claim it is an illusion that may be proven wrong some day. My source of information is Star-date from NPR.
    Some people question anything.
    But the thing to question something is if xe has a theory that better explains observational data than the current theory.
    It would be very surprising if the inflation theory will be replaced by another one. That would be a revolution in science!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree